Schiit Lyr Shipping! Impressions?
Mar 3, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #46 of 2,392
Rope. This is taken from the first paragraph of the Lyr product page on www.Schiit.com, " Lyr is aimed at power-hungry orthodynamic headphones, as well as other difficult-to-drive designs."

Perhaps you need to look at what you believe?

I believe Schiit's LYR design objective was to compliment a full range of HP's, regardless of the impedance challenges.  Further more, is it counter productive to own a HP amplifier that will drive cattle, and herd cats?

I think not.

Mar 3, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #47 of 2,392

Quote:
Does Lyr sound better than Asgard and Valhalla?
Does a bear schiit in the . . . nevermind. Short answer: yes. It’s much more dynamic than either amp, and will drive any headphone with power and finesse. It’s the easiest amp for us to recommend, because it works well with damn near everything.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #48 of 2,392

Thanks, I'll look again at what I believe.  Nope, still the same, since the LYR will drive HP's ranging in impedance from 8-Ohm to 600-Ohm.  Hold it, perhaps that's not a wide range?

Because LYR may target "power hungry" cans, should I chalk that up to overkill or headroom?

Quote:
Rope. This is taken from the first paragraph of the Lyr product page on www.Schiit.com, " Lyr is aimed at power-hungry orthodynamic headphones, as well as other difficult-to-drive designs."

Quote:
I believe Schiit's LYR design objective was to compliment a full range of HP's, regardless of the impedance challenges.  Further more, is it counter productive to own a HP amplifier that will drive cattle, and herd cats?

I think not.

Mar 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #49 of 2,392

So was this:

Dynamically Adaptive Output Stage
No. Don’t roll your eyes and dismiss this as marketing bullschiit. Our new Dynamically Adaptive output stage allows us to pack almost 6X the output power of Asgard into an amp that runs slightly cooler. (Now, that doesn’t mean it runs cool. If you want a cold amp, you need to look elsewhere.) It works by sensing the current flowing through the output stage, and dynamically reconfiguring from Class-A single-ended to push-pull Class AB. The result is both pure Class-A sound and the ability to drive virtually any headphone, including low-impedance and low-efficiency models (orthodynamics, we’re looking at you.)

Quote:

Quote:

I think not.

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #50 of 2,392
So the question to ask yourselves then, since you appear quite passionate....a) Can the Lyr drive a wide range of cans? And b) Does it provide an especially competent solution for difficult to drive Ortho's?  

To have the capabilities that it does at $449USD is impressive.

Feel free to complain and moan all you like... there will always be people who love to complain about life.  For me.  I have paid my money for the Lyr and am greatly looking forward to listening to my HE6 cans shine.

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look again at what I believe.  Nope, still the same, since the LYR will drive HP's ranging in impedance from 8-Ohm to 600-Ohm.  Hold it, perhaps that's not a wide range?

Because LYR may target "power hungry" cans, should I chalk that up to overkill or headroom?

Quote:
So was this:

Dynamically Adaptive Output Stage
No. Don’t roll your eyes and dismiss this as marketing bullschiit. Our new Dynamically Adaptive output stage allows us to pack almost 6X the output power of Asgard into an amp that runs slightly cooler. (Now, that doesn’t mean it runs cool. If you want a cold amp, you need to look elsewhere.) It works by sensing the current flowing through the output stage, and dynamically reconfiguring from Class-A single-ended to push-pull Class AB. The result is both pure Class-A sound and the ability to drive virtually any headphone, including low-impedance and low-efficiency models (orthodynamics, we’re looking at you.)

Mar 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #51 of 2,392

Who's complaining? 

Yes, I believe it will drive any HP you throw its way.

I can't wait for my fresh Schiit LYR to arrive!

Quote:
So the question to ask yourselves then, since you appear quite passionate....a) Can the Lyr drive a wide range of cans? And b) Does it provide an especially competent solution for difficult to drive Ortho's?  

To have the capabilities that it does at $449USD is impressive.

Feel free to complain and moan all you like... there will always be people who love to complain about life.  For me.  I have paid my money for the Lyr and am greatly looking forward to listening to my HE6 cans shine.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 2,392
Holy Schiit balls! 

I'm still rather new to the hobby, having only discovered the idea of "head-fi" after stumbling into a store near me called 32 Ohm.  It started around the beginning of January with a pair of Grado SR-80i's and a nice entry-level DAC/Tube Amp combo.  Here I am at the beginning of March with a pair of ALO cabled Audez'e LCD-2's, a MHDT Havana DAC, and the Lyr. 

The Havana was picked up yesterday in lieu of the arrival of the Lyr.  I know my ears are still gaining their "palate" as it were, it's likely some of the high school students reading this have better tuned ears (though I still have an extreme range of hearing for my age).  Despite my potential naivete, I would say that the Lyr is butter with the LCD-2s.  The synergy is undeniable, at least in my current system.  One thing that I can readily admit is that I am on the "Team Musicality" side of the clarity vs. musicality debate.  I'm pretty sure that is what this pairing is all about.  There is something magical happening in my apartment right now.  It is taking everything within me to avoid sexual allusions and metaphors to describe it. 

There are a few things that I know to go perfectly together.  Gin and tonic.  Blue cheese and honey.  Foie gras and sauternes.  Pizza and beer.  So far this headphone/amp combo is quickly being added to the list.  In my case, the Havana is a great addition to the group.  There's no doubt that I have coloration abound in my system (I'm trying diff tubes for their sonic effects), but it is a thing of beauty.

I nearly jumped out of my seat after a certain point in Pink Floyd's "High Hopes" on the Pulse CD.  I finally, truly get dynamic range and I think the Lyr is at fault.  I started anticipating the coming crescendo in the song, and the Lyr did an absolutely astounding job in that build.  An absolutely smooth ride up that hill of sound, it crushed what I anticipated.  And this is all with the stock tubes.  I have since switched to some NOS GE smoked glass tubes in hopes of matching the tube in the Havana, and I will try my Amperex pair soon. 

I am obviously in the very beginning of my love affair with this amp.  I know all the dangers and pitfalls while judging a thing.  I was easily swayed by the hype behind it.  I can't remember where I first saw it, but after seeing it here and gizmodo and some other places I was already nearly sold.  Once I picked up the LCD-2's I started researching amps for them and saw this Schiit again.  I finally pulled the trigger and regretted it for a month.

No longer.

I probably tried to be too poetic and pretty with my writing above.  If'n you got questions about specifics, ask 'em.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #53 of 2,392
"I'm still rather new to the hobby, having only discovered the idea of "head-fi" after stumbling into a store near me called 32 Ohm.  It started around the beginning of January with a pair of Grado SR-80i's and a nice entry-level DAC/Tube Amp combo.  Here I am at the beginning of March with a pair of ALO cabled Audez'e LCD-2's, a MHDT Havana DAC, and the Lyr."

From what I've read that's a really nice store to have near you.  And, nice upgrades!!!!

Congrats and have fun!

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #54 of 2,392

Good form!!  Welcome to the club. 

Quote:
Who's complaining? 

Yes, I believe it will drive any HP you throw its way.

I can't wait for my fresh Schiit LYR to arrive!

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #55 of 2,392
I love the poetry and text used to build imagery.  Keep it coming.  I will be keen to hear how your tube rolling goes.  I bought the genelex ECC88 tubes to try out when my Lyr gets here.  Being a Friday before a long weekend, it would be pure bliss to get the Lyr today...but unlikely.  :frowning2:

Quote:
Holy Schiit balls! 

I'm still rather new to the hobby, having only discovered the idea of "head-fi" after stumbling into a store near me called 32 Ohm.  It started around the beginning of January with a pair of Grado SR-80i's and a nice entry-level DAC/Tube Amp combo.  Here I am at the beginning of March with a pair of ALO cabled Audez'e LCD-2's, a MHDT Havana DAC, and the Lyr. 

The Havana was picked up yesterday in lieu of the arrival of the Lyr.  I know my ears are still gaining their "palate" as it were, it's likely some of the high school students reading this have better tuned ears (though I still have an extreme range of hearing for my age).  Despite my potential naivete, I would say that the Lyr is butter with the LCD-2s.  The synergy is undeniable, at least in my current system.  One thing that I can readily admit is that I am on the "Team Musicality" side of the clarity vs. musicality debate.  I'm pretty sure that is what this pairing is all about.  There is something magical happening in my apartment right now.  It is taking everything within me to avoid sexual allusions and metaphors to describe it. 

There are a few things that I know to go perfectly together.  Gin and tonic.  Blue cheese and honey.  Foie gras and sauternes.  Pizza and beer.  So far this headphone/amp combo is quickly being added to the list.  In my case, the Havana is a great addition to the group.  There's no doubt that I have coloration abound in my system (I'm trying diff tubes for their sonic effects), but it is a thing of beauty.

I nearly jumped out of my seat after a certain point in Pink Floyd's "High Hopes" on the Pulse CD.  I finally, truly get dynamic range and I think the Lyr is at fault.  I started anticipating the coming crescendo in the song, and the Lyr did an absolutely astounding job in that build.  An absolutely smooth ride up that hill of sound, it crushed what I anticipated.  And this is all with the stock tubes.  I have since switched to some NOS GE smoked glass tubes in hopes of matching the tube in the Havana, and I will try my Amperex pair soon. 

I am obviously in the very beginning of my love affair with this amp.  I know all the dangers and pitfalls while judging a thing.  I was easily swayed by the hype behind it.  I can't remember where I first saw it, but after seeing it here and gizmodo and some other places I was already nearly sold.  Once I picked up the LCD-2's I started researching amps for them and saw this Schiit again.  I finally pulled the trigger and regretted it for a month.

No longer.

I probably tried to be too poetic and pretty with my writing above.  If'n you got questions about specifics, ask 'em.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #56 of 2,392
Hmm thats odd that you say the WA5 is good at driving the HE-6.  I used to have that amp for a while and tried the HE-6 prototype on them and the matching was actually quite bad.  It didn't have anywhere near enough power for those headphones.  To me, the WA5 is actually a lot picker than I thought with headphones.  It sounded completely wrong with the sony R-10 and the Thunderpants.  As for LCD-2, it is a pretty good match, but way too lush sounding.

Quote:

The WA5 is so heavy mainly because of it's transformers, which provide it with the current reserves that it needs to truly drive any headphone made (with the WEE on it's speaker taps for stats). I couldn't imagine it on anyone's desk as it's not a desktop amplifier; I just brought it up because of the favorable reports of it driving the HE-6 out of it's K1000 jack, which provide the same level of power as it's speaker taps. It's also the only headphone amp I can think of when I hear things like "the one to rule them all".

As far as efficiency is concerned the comparison you have pointed out is helpful but not quite the whole picture, as the HE-6 presents a 50-ohm load to the amp and the K1000 presents a 120-ohm load. All I was trying to point out is that the 2-watt WA22 was inadequate, and the K1000 jack of the WA5 seems to be "just right" for the HE-6.

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #57 of 2,392
The production version is supposed to have better efficiency than the prototype that was sent around in loner program, isn't it?

Mar 3, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #58 of 2,392

Quote:
Holy Schiit balls! 

No longer.

The Schiit, er force is strong with this one.
beyersmile.png

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #59 of 2,392

Definitely.

Quote:
The production version is supposed to have better efficiency than the prototype that was sent around in loner program, isn't it?

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #60 of 2,392
My "words about words" post - I was perhaps trying to be too clever, actually I was trying not to be derisive. But Leesure makes my point in plain English; I very much enjoy the theoretical discussions but they probably belong on another forum. A lot of us just getting the new toy are scanning here to see if other folks are having similar or different impressions. That's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back