Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 23, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #3,901 of 6,469
To be fair a lot of high end headphone users don't have the luxury of a speaker system. I've been listening to my Jot since I've plugged them in last night and while relatively new I can tell the amp is well tuned but something about the cohesiveness, imaging, instrumental separation (to a degree), and instrument placement isn't quite there (yet?). I'm hoping 100-200hrs will remedy this. I will also try the he560 this weekend and may bring the akg home.

Balanced vs SE, what are owners thoughts on differences? My AKG and Sony SA3000 are SE only.

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,902 of 6,469
  you´re portugues is perfect
biggrin.gif
.i´m italian and i met my portuguese wife in Andalusia

Haha I appreciate that, I'm actually really rusty and losing it a bit but I am Portuguese, due to my work and the fact that my wife is not from here I barely speak/write it at all nowadays. My wife actually has family in Italy so we visit often, it is one of my favourite places, your country is very beautiful!

I received my Jotunheim today - I live near Lisboa though so from Mafra (where the GLS international department is located) to here is only a couple hours at most, by 2pm I already had it on hand. Have you received yours? If not then I'm sure you'll get it tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it man.

Salve!

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,904 of 6,469

Haha I appreciate that, I'm actually really rusty and losing it a bit but I am Portuguese, due to my work and the fact that my wife is not from here I barely speak/write it at all nowadays. My wife actually has family in Italy so we visit often, it is one of my favourite places, your country is very beautiful!

I received my Jotunheim today - I live near Lisboa though so from Mafra (where the GLS international department is located) to here is only a couple hours at most, by 2pm I already had it on hand. Have you received yours? If not then I'm sure you'll get it tomorrow. Hope you enjoy it man.

Salve!

send pm

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #3,905 of 6,469
To be fair a lot of high end headphone users don't have the luxury of a speaker system. I've been listening to my Jot since I've plugged them in last night and while relatively new I can tell the amp is well tuned but something about the cohesiveness, imaging, instrumental separation (to a degree), and instrument placement isn't quite there (yet?). I'm hoping 100-200hrs will remedy this. I will also try the he560 this weekend and may bring the akg home.

Balanced vs SE, what are owners thoughts on differences? My AKG and Sony SA3000 are SE only.

it likely sounds that way because you're downgrading from a rag :p  an HD650 balances out the brightness and in-your-faceness of the jot.  the balanced cable on the HD650 will give you the same sound but just slightly better all around. 

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #3,906 of 6,469
Today i'm happy like a kid
Really nice

What a piece of schiit...

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #3,909 of 6,469
Schiit does make some great audio DACs/AMPs but I don't find the much higher priced Jotunheim to be too expensive. I mean, the Magni 2 is already pretty good, and it costs far less than this one. Can someone justify buying this much more expensive product than an affordable one like the Magni 2?

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,910 of 6,469
  Schiit does make some great audio DACs/AMPs but I don't find the much higher priced Jotunheim to be too expensive. I mean, the Magni 2 is already pretty good, and it costs far less than this one. Can someone justify buying this much more expensive product than an affordable one like the Magni 2?

Its balanced for starters...

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #3,911 of 6,469

Do you want a better product? Pay the extra money. Are you going to be satisfied with the Magni 2? Buy the Magni 2. No one has to justify your purchases, they are your own, if you want to learn about the subject there are plenty of reviews around (some of which compare it to the Magni 2) - there is so much information out on this amplifier, if after you read up an adequate amount and educate yourself and feel like you cannot justify the purchase afterwards then go with the Magni.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #3,912 of 6,469

​Even with the entry-level Modi 2U as my source, the SQ difference between the Magni 2U and the Jotunheim is huge.

The Jot really does allow you to hear what your source and your headphones are truly capable of.

Schiit could have easily charged another $100-200 more for it and it would still be considered a great value.  And the fact that they didn't makes me have even more respect for them.

The Jot truly is an amazing piece of Schiit! (Schiit jokes never get old!
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,913 of 6,469
Connected the Jot, i´m impressed with installation of drivers or rather the non-installation.
My system is windows 10.the device has apparead immediately, as well as in tidal
Good work Schiit

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #3,914 of 6,469

​The Jot is one of the least expensive balanced amps out there, let alone form a well respected company! Then they gave it enough power to push basically any headphone, while keeping the impedance output low along with very little distortion to a level it can also push sensitive headphones or iem just as well. I know I'm sorta repeating what Schiit says on their website, but its true.

Some people come on and ask if this or that amp will work well for a certain headphone. Well, In the case of the Jotunheim, the answer 99% of the time will be YES! especially if you can tweak it some with an EQ. Where the Magni is just "good enough" in most cases, and bad in others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back