Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #3,871 of 6,469
  I'd urge caution with regards to the volume mismatch. even a 0.5 DB increase in volume is easily detctable, and will very much sway your opinion. I've noticed the Internal dac has lower volume then most stand alone dac's. It must not be putting out 2.0v RMS.

By manually adjusting the volume when switching between DACs, it adds a random variable to the volume.  Getting them to exactly match in volume on any given comparison was unlikely, so which DAC was slightly louder changed each time.

No matter which DAC was louder or softer, the difference between the two in quality was quite audible.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #3,876 of 6,469
I just joined the Jot Club!
biggrin.gif

To say I'm impressed would the understatement of the year.  I'm actually a little shocked at how incredibly amazing this amp sounds!

I had been using a Magni 2 Uber, and an Asgard 2 before that.  I actually preferred the Magni 2U over the Asgard 2.  While the Asgard 2 had a slightly bigger soundstage, it sounded overly soft and defuse to me when directly compared to the Magni 2U.

The Jotunheim blows them both out of the water!  It's not even close.  You get the best of both worlds.  A huge soundstage with crystal clear imaging and a perfectly neutral (and natural) sound signature.  Plus, it runs as cool as a slightly-warm cucumber. 
tongue_smile.gif

It completely transformed my Beyer T90's.  They now sound like mini HD 800's.  And I haven't even come close to hearing it at its best yet.  Reference quality components (headphone, balanced DAC, balanced headphone cable, XLR cables, etc.) will all take the Jot to even higher levels of performance!

Jason has raised the price/performance bar so high with the Jotunheim that I don't think it will be bettered for a very long time.

In a lot of ways, the Jotenheim reminds me of the Focal Utopia.  They both look and sound amazing and are both at the top of their respective categories, but the Jot costs 1/10th the price of the Utopia!  It doesn't get much better than that!

L3000.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,877 of 6,469
Calm down there squirrelly, you're sounding like a hype monster atm. Let the new gear sink in and take the new gear effect away.

Although I must say I'm quite excited as mine waits for my pickup. However I have to remind myself I've been around the block a few times and heard some good stuff so level down the expectations on a $400 amp... But then there's all this hype I'm hoping is true. I'll know soon...very soon.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,878 of 6,469
Calm down there squirrelly, you're sounding like a hype monster atm. Let the new gear sink in and take the new gear effect away.

Although I must say I'm quite excited as mine waits for my pickup. However I have to remind myself I've been around the block a few times and heard some good stuff so level down the expectations on a $400 amp... But then there's all this hype I'm hoping is true. I'll know soon...very soon.

​I hear you.  I've been around the block as well.  But this is one of those ultra-rare cases where the hype is truly justified.

Of course there are better amps out there, but they all cost multiples of the Jot's price.

To me, what makes the Jot so special is the amount of performance you get for the price.  I seriously doubt there is a better value out there right now.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #3,879 of 6,469

Their price list shows Jotunheim with the DAC at 569 €. Mine was 529 € from the Netherlands, which is on the way BTW! Shipped on Monday, hopefully here by Friday.

are you sure? i paid 549€ plus shipping(around 20€)

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #3,880 of 6,469
  I just joined the Jot Club!
biggrin.gif

To say I'm impressed would the understatement of the year.  I'm actually a little shocked at how incredibly amazing this amp sounds!

I had been using a Magni 2 Uber, and a Asgard 2 before that.  I actually preferred the Magni 2U over the Asgard 2.  While the Asgard 2 had a slightly bigger soundstage, it sounded overly soft and defuse to me when directly compared to the Magni 2U.

The Jotunheim blows them both out of the water!  It's not even close.  You get the best of both worlds.  A huge soundstage with crystal clear imaging and a perfectly neutral (and natural) sound signature.  Plus, it runs as cool as a cucumber. 

It completely transformed my Beyer T90's.  They now sound like a mini HD 800.  And I haven't even heard the best it can do yet!

Jason has raised the price/performance bar so high with the Jotunheim that I don't think it will be bettered for a very long time.

In a lot of ways, the Jotenheim reminds me of the Focal Utopia.  They both look and sound amazing and are both at the top of their respective categories, but the Jot costs 1/10 the price of the Utopia!  It doesn't get much better than that!

L3000.gif

you bought with internal dac?

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #3,882 of 6,469
  you bought with internal dac?

​Nope.  Amp only.  I'm using the good (but not great) Modi 2U, and my music still sounds amazing.

I'll be upgrading to the Modi MB next, which will take things to an even higher level.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

The Jotunheim makes a fantastic system centerpiece because it's so transparent.  It's resolution ceiling is so high that it will probably exceed that of whatever source it is connected to, except for maybe some of the super-exotic ultra-expensive DACs that are out there.

One way I would describe it is that the Jotunheim is ruthlessly revealing without being ruthless, if that makes any sense.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #3,883 of 6,469

Yes, Sonority Audio in Netherlands. Their CS rep is called Melinda. I would imagine they would treat with priority someone who's placed a EUR 1000 order for Bifrost and Jotun some 2-3 months ago, but alas.

Bifrost shipped back in Dec. Asked about status of my Jot yesterday for the 3rd time - no reply as of yet.

That is VERY strange - I've placed like at least 5 or 6 orders with Sonority already buying Schiit off of them and never has that happened. I've actually bought a second Jotunheim for my bedroom a couple days ago and it already shipped on Monday, it's in Spain as we speak and will be arriving at my home tomorrow (same for you @alota a não ser que viva muito para o Norte, é capaz de ser só na Sexta nesse caso!).

Melinda is very helpful, I've always had stuff shipped to me timely and gotten reasonable responses very quickly - I even had a couple things added to this Jotunheim order that I forgot to check out the first time around (few cables and tubes) and they added it and invoiced me for them on a Sunday so that everything shipped together on Monday. Wonder if there's something else going on, maybe your messages are ending up in some spam filter of some sort for whatever reason and your order got buried in? Maybe try giving them a call or using a different email, not trying to play devil's advocate here of course just saying that by my personal experience (as well as some other friends' who buy from them) that sounds very, very odd.

Feb 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,884 of 6,469
Fingers crossed the hype is backed by performance! Burn-in on them is..? I'll have mine plugged tonight and hopefully climbing to 100hrs by Sunday. @XERO1

​I'd say 24-48 hours of continuous playback using only well-recorded music should do it.  Just set the volume to the loudest level you would comfortably listen at with your preferred headphones and let it cook for a couple days.  That should get you >90% of it being fully broken-in.

I don't recommend using pink noise (and never use white noise) for break-in.  It can potentially lead to the overheating and possible damage of your headphone's voicecoils if pink noise is used for a long period of time at high SPL's.

OT:  I checked out your profile and noticed that you sold your Sony MDR-Z1R. 
eek.gif
confused.gif
  May I ask why?  I thought they were supposed to be da schizzle.

Feb 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,885 of 6,469

​Nope.  Amp only.  I'm using the good (but not great) Modi 2U, and my music still sounds amazing.

I'll be upgrading to the Modi MB next, which will take things to an even higher level.
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

The Jotunheim makes a fantastic system centerpiece because it's so transparent.  It's resolution ceiling is so high that it will probably exceed that of whatever source it is connected to, except for maybe some of the super-exotic ultra-expensive DACs that are out there.

One way I would describe it is that the Jotunheim is ruthlessly revealing without being ruthless, if that makes any sense.

My objective is a good integrated amp/dac so i bought the jot. my other is x-duoo. i went from a past with a lot of headphones, source, and amplifiers. i had a balanced beta-22 who weighed 35 Kg.the audiophile and stressful time is over. now i just want to enjoy music without frills and snake oil
biggrin.gif

That is VERY strange - I've placed like at least 5 or 6 orders with Sonority already buying Schiit off of them and never has that happened. I've actually bought a second Jotunheim for my bedroom a couple days ago and it already shipped on Monday, it's in Spain as we speak and will be arriving at my home tomorrow (same for you @alota a não ser que viva muito para o Norte, é capaz de ser só na Sexta nesse caso!).

Melinda is very helpful, I've always had stuff shipped to me timely and gotten reasonable responses very quickly - I even had a couple things added to this Jotunheim order that I forgot to check out the first time around (few cables and tubes) and they added it and invoiced me for them on a Sunday so that everything shipped together on Monday. Wonder if there's something else going on, maybe your messages are ending up in some spam filter of some sort for whatever reason and your order got buried in? Maybe try giving them a call or using a different email, not trying to play devil's advocate here of course just saying that by my personal experience (as well as some other friends' who buy from them) that sounds very, very odd.

you´re portugues is perfect
biggrin.gif
.i´m italian and i met my portuguese wife in Andalusia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back