Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 22, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,886 of 6,469
http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps/jotunheim-configurable-balanced-desktop-headamp-preamp-none-module.html

price is the same that in proaudio... how could you pay that price with the dac?? plus shipping costs.... mah...

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3,887 of 6,469

That is VERY strange - I've placed like at least 5 or 6 orders with Sonority already buying Schiit off of them and never has that happened. I've actually bought a second Jotunheim for my bedroom a couple days ago and it already shipped on Monday, it's in Spain as we speak and will be arriving at my home tomorrow (same for you @alota a não ser que viva muito para o Norte, é capaz de ser só na Sexta nesse caso!).

Melinda is very helpful, I've always had stuff shipped to me timely and gotten reasonable responses very quickly - I even had a couple things added to this Jotunheim order that I forgot to check out the first time around (few cables and tubes) and they added it and invoiced me for them on a Sunday so that everything shipped together on Monday. Wonder if there's something else going on, maybe your messages are ending up in some spam filter of some sort for whatever reason and your order got buried in? Maybe try giving them a call or using a different email, not trying to play devil's advocate here of course just saying that by my personal experience (as well as some other friends' who buy from them) that sounds very, very odd.

Got a reply from them later today - my order got delayed apparently. Hopefully already shipped, if not probably tomorrow. Still, I've waited months...

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #3,888 of 6,469

My objective is a good integrated amp/dac so i bought the jot. my other is x-duoo. i went from a past with a lot of headphones, source, and amplifiers. i had a balanced beta-22 who weighed 35 Kg.the audiophile and stressful time is over. now i just want to enjoy music without frills and snake oil
biggrin.gif

Then I think the Jotinheim is perfect for you.
beerchug.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,889 of 6,469
Well recorded music for burn in... Didn't know electrical components were picky of recording quality, specially amps. Lol
​I'd say 24-48 hours of continuous playback using only well-recorded music should do it.  Just set the volume to the loudest level you would

OT:  I checked out your profile and noticed that you sold your Sony MDR-Z1R. :eek: :confused:   May I ask why?  I thought they were supposed to be da schizzle.

The MDR-Z1R is a phenomenal headphone and when I paired it with a Chord Hugo it was brilliant. I was one of the earliest known owners, bought it in November overseas and listened for 2-3months straight exclusively. During that time i was living temporarily and my openback were packed away. Now my house is finish, open backs rule again! By no means of me selling it was an indicator it wasn't good.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #3,890 of 6,469
  I just joined the Jot Club!
biggrin.gif

To say I'm impressed would the understatement of the year.  I'm actually a little shocked at how incredibly amazing this amp sounds!

I had been using a Magni 2 Uber, and an Asgard 2 before that.  I actually preferred the Magni 2U over the Asgard 2.  While the Asgard 2 had a slightly bigger soundstage, it sounded overly soft and defuse to me when directly compared to the Magni 2U.

The Jotunheim blows them both out of the water!  It's not even close.  You get the best of both worlds.  A huge soundstage with crystal clear imaging and a perfectly neutral (and natural) sound signature.  Plus, it runs as cool as a slightly-warm cucumber. 
tongue_smile.gif

It completely transformed my Beyer T90's.  They now sound like mini HD 800's.  And I haven't even come close to hearing it at its best yet.  Reference quality components (headphone, balanced DAC, balanced headphone cable, XLR cables, etc.) will all take the Jot to even higher levels of performance!

Jason has raised the price/performance bar so high with the Jotunheim that I don't think it will be bettered for a very long time.

In a lot of ways, the Jotenheim reminds me of the Focal Utopia.  They both look and sound amazing and are both at the top of their respective categories, but the Jot costs 1/10th the price of the Utopia!  It doesn't get much better than that!

L3000.gif

The jot is quite good, but a huge soundstage it does not have. Not a bad or good thing, just saying. It's soundstage is rather collapsed, and in your face. That's not just my opinion either.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #3,891 of 6,469
  i ended ordering a lyr2 and an audio gd c 2 11 anniversary..
i will keep which one i like the most.
i didn't want to go balance every time i buy a can... after market cables are too expensive and i'm not able to build them myself...

Seriously? a 10$ radio shack special soldering iron, and 5$ helping hands, an hour of watching a Youtube howto solder video, and a 5$ neutrik connector will balance 99% of headphones on the market. No expensive cables, or skill required. Re-terminating a cable is trivially easy.

This is literally, all you need.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #3,892 of 6,469
Unless you bought an AKG that uses 3 wires...
Seriously? a 10$ radio shack special soldering iron, and 5$ helping hands, an hour of watching a Youtube howto solder video, and a 5$ neutrik connector will balance 99% of headphones on the market. No expensive cables, or skill required. Re-terminating a cable is trivially easy.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #3,893 of 6,469
In that case you'll need 4 feet of 1.29 a foot Mogami 2534, 2 feet of heatshrink tubing, and if you want to get fancy, 4 feet of cloth wire loom. So add another ~10$ or so, and a forum post or two with a detailed guide and pictures of someone else who's already done it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #3,894 of 6,469

​I hear you.  I've been around the block as well.  But this is one of those ultra-rare cases where the hype is truly justified.

Of course there are better amps out there, but they all cost multiples of the Jot's price.

To me, what makes the Jot so special is the amount of performance you get for the price.  I seriously doubt there is a better value out there right now.

The Bimby>Jot combo I've been using since the Jot came out is so good with my Ether C Flows that I can't get really excited about possible upgrades, even though my comparison is my many times more expensive 2-channel system (see my sig for details). I favor a neutral, tight reproduction that gets as close to live acoustic music in a low reverb venue as practical. I put together my 2-channel system to fit that goal, and I'm amazed that the much more modest Jot-based headphone system is not straying so much from that idea.

I got my Jot while I was getting tired of waiting for a delayed Liquid Carbon 2.0, and while the LC 2.0 is in some ways delightful (but twice as expensive), it never managed to displace the Jot.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #3,895 of 6,469

The jot is quite good, but a huge soundstage it does not have. Not a bad or good thing, just saying. It's soundstage is rather collapsed, and in your face. That's not just my opinion either.

If you fix the DAC and the headphones, how much can the amp affect soundstage? I can understand how moving to very different sources and transducers will change soundstage, heck, I listen to my music on a nice 2-channel system (see sig below) whenever possible in part because of the superior soundstage, but I cant think of technical reasons that would make a very low distortion amp (the proverbial "wire with gain")  differ from another one in soundstage, which is all about teeny differences in arrival time of different sounds.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #3,896 of 6,469
I saw the cavalli amplifier but la ke you say, twice of the price and no dac.
Honestly i'm tired to spend much more money for nothing

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #3,897 of 6,469
I saw the cavalli amplifier but la ke you say, twice of the price and no dac.
Honestly i'm tired to spend much more money for nothing

My Jot does not have the optional DAC, I'm all-multibit at home :wink: I ordered the LC 2.0 when it was the only good quality, reasonably priced and relatively small solid-state balanced amp, but while I was waiting for it, the Jot came out and I couldn't resist. I can understand a preference for the LC's somewhat warmer tone, especially for owners of very bright headphones, but for me the Job matches really well what I want from my Ether C Flows. I've been using the LC 2.0 occasionally at work, but recently I got a QP1R DAP, which is just more convenient and way better than I expected to the point that it's not worth my while to add the LC 2.0 to the chain.

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,899 of 6,469
  In that case you'll need 4 feet of 1.29 a foot Mogami 2534, 2 feet of heatshrink tubing, and if you want to get fancy, 4 feet of cloth wire loom. So add another ~10$ or so, and a forum post or two with a detailed guide and pictures of someone else who's already done it.

And remove the 3 pin mini xlr socket from the earphone and replace it with a 4 pin mini xlr socket ?

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #3,900 of 6,469
My Jot does not have the optional DAC, I'm all-multibit at home :wink: I ordered the LC 2.0 when it was the only good quality, reasonably priced and relatively small solid-state balanced amp, but while I was waiting for it, the Jot came out and I couldn't resist. I can understand a preference for the LC's somewhat warmer tone, especially for owners of very bright headphones, but for me the Job matches really well what I want from my Ether C Flows. I've been using the LC 2.0 occasionally at work, but recently I got a QP1R DAP, which is just more convenient and way better than I expected to the point that it's not worth my while to add the LC 2.0 to the chain.

If you want warmth, use tubes. Elementary, my dear Watson! Also, I hear Cavalli amps have been known to show signs of shoddy workmanship if you open them up, though I haven't confirmed this myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back