Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3,916 of 6,469
Hi, I am a new Jotunheim owner,. I had Magni 2 U earlier. I have connected Audio Engine A5+ to jotunheim. Shouldnt the Speakers mute when i plug in the Headphones in the balanced port. Is that how it is supposed to be. I remember my speakers would be muted if i plug in headphones and play music on headphones alone.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,917 of 6,469
The Schiit balanced amps are that way, because the balanced XLR does not have the wiring to mute the preouts when headphones are attached. The Mjolnir 2 is the same way. Yes, they could have designed in a manual switch.

There are three ways to handle it:

1. Get a Schiit Sys and put it on your preout line so you can reduce the speakers volume to zero with it.

2. Get a remote control power strip and use it to power your speakers. You then turn it off with the remote control.

3. Turn the speakers off with their switches.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #3,921 of 6,469
  Finished the balanced cable for my headphones and now I'm trying to figure out if it sounds any different than SE.

Make sure you match the SPL.  Balanced provides way more power to the headphones...

beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #3,922 of 6,469
Schiit does make some great audio DACs/AMPs but I don't find the much higher priced Jotunheim to be too expensive. I mean, the Magni 2 is already pretty good, and it costs far less than this one. Can someone justify buying this much more expensive product than an affordable one like the Magni 2?

The Jotunheim DAC module could be upgraded in the future(there is always that possibility). That, and the fact its got a balanced input and huge power output makes it worthwhile and future proof.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #3,924 of 6,469
  still considering purchase between this amp and cavalli audio LC 2.0

Both are good amps.  Either one is a fine choice...

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,925 of 6,469
I would recommend the LC only for high resolution headphones like hd800, k812, etc. Imo from memory the LC has slightly more instrument separation and better layering/imaging.

Otherwise if you're midfi level on headphones the Jot is more than plenty of an amp and provides quite the sound for the price.

The Jot with hd800 is good. With the emu teak, amazing. I have heard the hd800 scale to amazing levels beyond what the jot can provide - given your dac is up to task.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #3,926 of 6,469
Jotunheim is much more powerful and more linear. LC has a generally worse build quality (Cavalli's innards have never impressed me) but is more forgiving. However, it would be cheaper to simply get a Lyr.

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,927 of 6,469
Adding myself as another new and happy Jot(w/ DAC) owner here (2.5 weeks and counting), and new to this forum.

Over the last few years, I went from Sony PHA-1 to Mojo (only a short time, it was unexciting) with Crack, and now to Jot (either Jot out or pre-out to Crack). Very happy with combo and I'm excited again with my music (classical, fingerstyle guitar, rock/jpop). Works well with my balanced HD600 and AD2000x.

I still need to figure out if I'm liking the AKM DAC implementation or otherwise, but it definitely got me liking this Schiit. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #3,928 of 6,469
  still considering purchase between this amp and cavalli audio LC 2.0

Own both. The LC 2.0 sounds warmer and is really charming with voices and strings, but with my MrSpeakers Ether C Flows, the music I listen to (jazz, world, classical), I overall prefer the Jot for its neutrality and handling of transients.

Feb 27, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #3,929 of 6,469
  Own both. The LC 2.0 sounds warmer and is really charming with voices and strings, but with my MrSpeakers Ether C Flows, the music I listen to (jazz, world, classical), I overall prefer the Jot for its neutrality and handling of transients.

I haven't had the LC (1.0) for awhile now but from what I remember it was able to project microdetails very well. To me the Jot doesn't seem to do this well, any insight on this?

Feb 27, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,930 of 6,469

I haven't had the LC (1.0) for awhile now but from what I remember it was able to project microdetails very well. To me the Jot doesn't seem to do this well, any insight on this?

Maybe specific pairings? Which DAC and headphones did you use? With the Bimby and C Flows, I hear a lot of detail with both amps. The LC's warmer tone makes jazz double bass stand out maybe a bit too much relative to the higher frequencies, from cymbals for instance. With the Jot, percussion is very clear, with the LC a tad more veiled. Two nice amps, I could be happy with either, but in the comparison the Jot wins for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back