Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 27, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,931 of 6,469
  Maybe specific pairings? Which DAC and headphones did you use? With the Bimby and C Flows, I hear a lot of detail with both amps. The LC's warmer tone makes jazz double bass stand out maybe a bit too much relative to the higher frequencies, from cymbals for instance. With the Jot, percussion is very clear, with the LC a tad more veiled. Two nice amps, I could be happy with either, but in the comparison the Jot wins for me.

Maybe I need to hear the Jot without the Freya acting as a preamp.. My Dac is the Holo Spring Level 3 and Schiit Freya as a pre then Jot then HD800.

Feb 27, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,932 of 6,469

Maybe I need to hear the Jot without the Freya acting as a preamp.. My Dac is the Holo Spring Level 3 and Schiit Freya as a pre then Jot then HD800.

Wow, that's a serious setup upstream from the headphone amp. I've read of other HD800 owners liking Cavalli amps, maybe because the warmth of the Cavalli amp complements the alleged brightness of the HD800.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,933 of 6,469
  still considering purchase between this amp and cavalli audio LC 2.0

I can't speak for sound quality since I have never heard a LC but I would like to point out that the LC is double the price. 
Also, the jot is the more versatile amp as it can also be used as a preamp. I have a ZDS as well but am astounded by the clarity provided by the jot.

Feb 27, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #3,934 of 6,469
  Wow, that's a serious setup upstream from the headphone amp. I've read of other HD800 owners liking Cavalli amps, maybe because the warmth of the Cavalli amp complements the alleged brightness of the HD800.

It sounds incredible with the EMU Teak (Denon D5k spinoff - homage - clone -etc) specially balanced. I will be taking the HE560 out of storage, finally, and giving that a go with the Jot. The HE560 is less amp sensitive than the HD800 with only a touch more musicality in trade for a touch less of clarity -- at least my modified one.

I would like to say again that as a balanced unit, preamp (balanced and SE), and the amount of power the Jot puts out it is an incredible value. By no way am is my returning the item an indication that it is bad, it's just not what I need with the every picky HD800.

Feb 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,935 of 6,469
  I can't speak for sound quality since I have never heard a LC but I would like to point out that the LC is double the price. 

While that may be true, the Jot is sold direct to consumer, the LC is not.

So if the Jot were to be sold through a conventional dealer, it would sell for roughly the same price as the LC.

I consider them evenly matched, even though the LC does cost more.

Feb 27, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,936 of 6,469

While that may be true, the Jot is sold direct to consumer, the LC is not.

So if the Jot were to be sold through a conventional dealer, it would sell for roughly the same price as the LC.

I consider them evenly matched, even though the LC does cost more.

I bought both my LC's and the Jot direct from Cavalli/Schiit.  While Cavalli may have a limited group of dealers, much if not the vast majority of sales are direct.  Schiit is an Amazon third party seller of its own products.  Not seeing much difference here.

The bigger differences seem to be related to company size, size of product line and core market segments.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #3,937 of 6,469
If you sell at dealers, you have to make the price basically double to cover their overhead and make a profit for yourself. You can't then sell it on your own website for significantly less or nobody will buy from the dealer.

Amazon is not a traditional dealer, the overhead there is nowhere near the same as a smaller dealer and people are willing to pay the extra markup for the convenience. Schiit marks up their items accordingly to cover returns and fees.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #3,938 of 6,469

Both are good amps.  Either one is a fine choice...

thanks!

I would recommend the LC only for high resolution headphones like hd800, k812, etc. Imo from memory the LC has slightly more instrument separation and better layering/imaging.

Otherwise if you're midfi level on headphones the Jot is more than plenty of an amp and provides quite the sound for the price.

The Jot with hd800 is good. With the emu teak, amazing. I have heard the hd800 scale to amazing levels beyond what the jot can provide - given your dac is up to task.

thanks! I'm using oppo pm1 for now, didn't like hd800, much prefer the hd650.

Own both. The LC 2.0 sounds warmer and is really charming with voices and strings, but with my MrSpeakers Ether C Flows, the music I listen to (jazz, world, classical), I overall prefer the Jot for its neutrality and handling of transients.

thanks! really like the warmish sounding, but recently I prefer neutral sounding, so JOT will be my choice maybe 

Also, the jot is the more versatile amp as it can also be used as a preamp. I have a ZDS as well but am astounded by the clarity provided by the jot.

how's the akm DAC in JOT? is it good? compare with mojo? as now I use mojo as DAC.
thanks

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #3,939 of 6,469
If you sell at dealers, you have to make the price basically double to cover their overhead and make a profit for yourself. You can't then sell it on your own website for significantly less or nobody will buy from the dealer.

Amazon is not a traditional dealer, the overhead there is nowhere near the same as a smaller dealer and people are willing to pay the extra markup for the convenience. Schiit marks up their items accordingly to cover returns and fees.

Except that the Cavalli site lists only 4 dealers, 2 of whom are outside the USA/Americas.

One of the two USA dealers doesn't appear to have any product.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,941 of 6,469

Perhaps this is a bit late, but I wanted to post the comparison I made between the two earlier in one of the Cavalli LC threads.

Keep in mind that this is comparing the LC 1.0 to the Jot, but I don't think there's that many differences between the LC 1.0 and 2.0:

First off, I have owned both the LC and the Jot. I have extensively compared them on my own headphones and other audio gear (see my profile for more details). And of course, I volume-matched the amps when I did my comparisons.

I have to say I disagree with @Clemmaster here - except for the Jot being bright at times part. The Jot can be sometimes bright, but I consider it to be just slightly brighter than neutral. The LC, on the other hand, is what I would consider to be slightly warmer than neutral. Maybe to some people this difference is quite big, but personally I don't think this to be the case - the tonality of both of these amps to me is a lot more similar than you might think.

As for the more punch part - nope, I honestly cannot hear a difference between the LC and the Jot. Both are equally punchy, and most importantly they're both the good type of punchy, where it's not exaggerated but highly satisfying.

As for the more details part - again, I don't find this to be the case either. The Jot at first listen might seem more detailed because of its somewhat brighter and more forward nature. However, I found that whenever I noticed something on the Jot, I would go back to the Cavalli and find that same detail there with the same amount of clarity.

So why did I say that the Jot and the LC seem to present the same amount of detail, even though my sentence above suggests that it may be harder to find the details in the LC? This is simply because of the presentation. Jot is quite upfront and so all of the details are immediately noticeable whether you want to notice them or not. With the Cavalli, the details are all still there but the amp isn't as forward with those details as with the Jot. So with the LC you can choose to tune out on the details, but with a tiny bit of effort you could easily find those details if you wanted to.

There is one thing that I find the LC to be superior in - the soundstage. First off, I don't really think that the soundstage size of the Jot and the LC are really that different - soundstage width and depth between the two amps are about the same to me. I also feel that the imaging abilities of the two amps are similar to each other. However, I do feel that the soundstage of the Cavalli is definitely more 3D - as in, you are more easily discern what is further and closer to you in the music, something that I usually call "layering." In comparison, the Jot squishes together what is closer and further to you, making it harder to distinguish exactly how far different parts of the song are from you.

Overall, though, I still think that the Jot is a better value simply because while it mostly matches the LC's performance, it's cheaper than even the first run LC by a good margin, and the fact it's not a limited-run product and you can readily buy it. However, I will admit that I kept the LC and return the Jot for two main reasons - 1.) I really like my soundstage technical abilities, which I found the LC to be better at and 2.) I like the appeal of the LC as a limited-run amp that may not be produced ever again in the future. The second reason is really an irrational reason, but hey why not?

If I have more time, I would like to write a more detailed comparison between the Jot and the LC, but hope this short comparison helps anybody who wants to know how the two amps stack up against each other!

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #3,942 of 6,469

Perhaps this is a bit late, but I wanted to post the comparison I made between the two earlier in one of the Cavalli LC threads.

Keep in mind that this is comparing the LC 1.0 to the Jot, but I don't think there's that many differences between the LC 1.0 and 2.0:

First off, I have owned both the LC and the Jot. I have extensively compared them on my own headphones and other audio gear (see my profile for more details). And of course, I volume-matched the amps when I did my comparisons.

I have to say I disagree with @Clemmaster here - except for the Jot being bright at times part. The Jot can be sometimes bright, but I consider it to be just slightly brighter than neutral. The LC, on the other hand, is what I would consider to be slightly warmer than neutral. Maybe to some people this difference is quite big, but personally I don't think this to be the case - the tonality of both of these amps to me is a lot more similar than you might think.

As for the more punch part - nope, I honestly cannot hear a difference between the LC and the Jot. Both are equally punchy, and most importantly they're both the good type of punchy, where it's not exaggerated but highly satisfying.

As for the more details part - again, I don't find this to be the case either. The Jot at first listen might seem more detailed because of its somewhat brighter and more forward nature. However, I found that whenever I noticed something on the Jot, I would go back to the Cavalli and find that same detail there with the same amount of clarity.

So why did I say that the Jot and the LC seem to present the same amount of detail, even though my sentence above suggests that it may be harder to find the details in the LC? This is simply because of the presentation. Jot is quite upfront and so all of the details are immediately noticeable whether you want to notice them or not. With the Cavalli, the details are all still there but the amp isn't as forward with those details as with the Jot. So with the LC you can choose to tune out on the details, but with a tiny bit of effort you could easily find those details if you wanted to.

There is one thing that I find the LC to be superior in - the soundstage. First off, I don't really think that the soundstage size of the Jot and the LC are really that different - soundstage width and depth between the two amps are about the same to me. I also feel that the imaging abilities of the two amps are similar to each other. However, I do feel that the soundstage of the Cavalli is definitely more 3D - as in, you are more easily discern what is further and closer to you in the music, something that I usually call "layering." In comparison, the Jot squishes together what is closer and further to you, making it harder to distinguish exactly how far different parts of the song are from you.

Overall, though, I still think that the Jot is a better value simply because while it mostly matches the LC's performance, it's cheaper than even the first run LC by a good margin, and the fact it's not a limited-run product and you can readily buy it. However, I will admit that I kept the LC and return the Jot for two main reasons - 1.) I really like my soundstage technical abilities, which I found the LC to be better at and 2.) I like the appeal of the LC as a limited-run amp that may not be produced ever again in the future. The second reason is really an irrational reason, but hey why not?

If I have more time, I would like to write a more detailed comparison between the Jot and the LC, but hope this short comparison helps anybody who wants to know how the two amps stack up against each other!

this!! what I really need!
thanks man.
considering on my low budget, maybe I go for JOT, rather than LC 2.

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #3,943 of 6,469
@NPWS, I think the choice of amp might also depend on the headphones that you have, when I tried my HD800, HD700 and T1 on a Jot it was
eek.gif
cool.gif
​.  The Liquid Carbon pairs much better with these headphones, but they are even better with a tube amp, BH Crack, Elise, Liquid Glass or MicroZOTL2.  But for the HD650 and LCD2.2 I can see the Jot as being a great amp for them.

@chowmein83, agree with your impressions but to me the differences can be more noticeable with different headphones.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #3,945 of 6,469
  @NPWS, I think the choice of amp might also depend on the headphones that you have, when I tried my HD800, HD700 and T1 on a Jot it was
eek.gif
cool.gif
​.  The Liquid Carbon pairs much better with these headphones, but they are even better with a tube amp, BH Crack, Elise, Liquid Glass or MicroZOTL2.  But for the HD650 and LCD2.2 I can see the Jot as being a great amp for them.

@chowmein83, agree with your impressions but to me the differences can be more noticeable with different headphones.

I use OPPO PM1 for now. I had hd650, but sold it recently, to buy an amp :frowning2:
Perhaps another important reason for some --  you can use the JOT as a pre-amp for active monitors.
The Jot has balanced and SE outputs.

yes, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back