Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 2, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #3,961 of 6,469
I pulled my old Teradak Chameleon out the closet last week and tried it with the Jotunheim, i've done some pretty detailed listening impressions vs the built in AKM DAC.. honestly, I dident want to believe it, but the Chameleon is way better. And old TDA1543 x 16 design, mine's modified quite abit. Was really hoping for a one box solution, I don't know if im just not liking the 4490 sound signature, or if the Chameleon is just flat out better. It makes me wonder how this Chameleon fares to the Mimby/Bimby, I assumed it would lose no contest, but now im not so sure.

The chameleon beats it on soundstage, 3d, tonality, bass, etc. It might be a hair less resolving, but it's a hell of alot more pleasant to listen too... it's got me thinking about an Xmos XU208 interface now, but that's ~100$ and 2-3 weeks from china, that's a rather large chunk of change that could go toward a Mimby. I don't have a COAX output from my PC anymore, but I remember the Chameleon sounding best on COAX, i've just got it hooked up via USB now, witch I always remember being warm, fuzzy, and less resolving then COAX. An XMOS XU208 or even XU08 would be worlds better then any COAX i'd ever had it hooked up to in the past. I've been out of the USB to SPDIF converter loop for awhile, I almost bought a first gen HiFace on ebay for 40$, but I think that's pretty outdated now and a bad value.

Some of this is obviously subjective and gear dependant, my Denon D2K's are somewhat V shaped, and the Jot's built in dac is somewhat lean in the middle. Combine V shaped phones with a lean middle range and it's just not jiving. A headphone like HD650 that is thicker in the middle would sound entirely different, and I may prefer one over the other.

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #3,962 of 6,469
I pulled my old Teradak Chameleon out the closet last week and tried it with the Jotunheim, i've done some pretty detailed listening impressions vs the built in AKM DAC.. honestly, I dident want to believe it, but the Chameleon is way better. And old TDA1543 x 16 design, mine's modified quite abit. Was really hoping for a one box solution, I don't know if im just not liking the 4490 sound signature, or if the Chameleon is just flat out better. It makes me wonder how this Chameleon fares to the Mimby/Bimby, I assumed it would lose no contest, but now im not so sure.

The chameleon beats it on soundstage, 3d, tonality, bass, etc. It might be a hair less resolving, but it's a hell of alot more pleasant to listen too... it's got me thinking about an Xmos XU208 interface now, but that's ~100$ and 2-3 weeks from china, that's a rather large chunk of change that could go toward a Mimby. I don't have a COAX output from my PC anymore, but I remember the Chameleon sounding best on COAX, i've just got it hooked up via USB now, witch I always remember being warm, fuzzy, and less resolving then COAX. An XMOS XU208 or even XU08 would be worlds better then any COAX i'd ever had it hooked up to in the past. I've been out of the USB to SPDIF converter loop for awhile, I almost bought a first gen HiFace on ebay for 40$, but I think that's pretty outdated now and a bad value.

Some of this is obviously subjective and gear dependant, my Denon D2K's are somewhat V shaped, and the Jot's built in dac is somewhat lean in the middle. Combine V shaped phones with a lean middle range and it's just not jiving. A headphone like HD650 that is thicker in the middle would sound entirely different, and I may prefer one over the other.

I never like the pairing of Jot with my Denon D5k. Believe or not, I prefer E-MU 0204 or Creative ZXR sound card over it for that pairing. I just cannot stand the sound of a V shaped can with a V shaped amp. I think the Jot is best paired with a dark can, and quite surprisingly, it pairs well with most of my IEMs, even the bright ones....

Mar 3, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,964 of 6,469
 Yeah, I think I sounded overly critical above. The day after I wrote that I changed the pads on my Denon D2k, and their tonality changed pretty significantly, little more bass, little more mids, and alot less high end, the pairing is much better now. Still not quite as nice as the Teradak, but closer. Thing is, the D2k is pretty V shaped, and the Jotunheim is said to be a little V shaped, and i'd say the DAC is also a little V shaped, there's just too much V... the Teradak is pretty warm, and has alot of MID's so it kinda synergized well with the combo.

I think with a more laid back can, one could prefer the built in dac over the Chameleon. Perhaps. I honestly think Schiit voiced this thing for HD650. Im not really sure were to go from here, I think I want more  headphones before I invest in a better source. I only own the D2k's, i'd like to have some 650's and maybe a Monolith 1060, before I upgrade the source.

I was actually quite shocked by the sound changes with new pads on the D2K, I had no expectation bias there, I though my original pads were getting worn out, flaking, and too soft, so i'd replace them, no big deal ~ I did not expect sonic changes. The new pads are much firmer, and a little thiner, I think they make a better "Seal" around the ears. They were just replacement ebay knock off pads, a pretty perfect "mimic" of the stock pads (no longer available). My stock pads were Stuffed via MARK L suggestions, these new pads I left as they came.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #3,966 of 6,469
Have have a question I have the jotunheim with the internal DAC when I plug into the balanced input with XLR cables in the back does it bypass the DAC that's built into the jotunheim is the only way to use the internal DAC through USB?

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #3,967 of 6,469
There is a source switch on the front.   It lets you choose to listen to the Unbalanced Inputs, The Balanced Inputs, or the USB (or Phono) module input.  The internal DAC module is USB only. 

If you are using either the Balanced or Unbalanced OUTPUTS on the back, they will play whatever source you choose on the front switch.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,970 of 6,469
Because I'm using my axon 7 phone as my source and playing my music and running it into the USB part of the dac but it's sucking my battery dry that USB dac draws a lot of power from my phone so I'm looking for another source to plug into the balanced inputs in the back. I'm thinking of buying a separate DAC and maybe like a portable music player or something.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #3,971 of 6,469
I'm kinda new to this I'm running the hd650 off the jotunheim amp kinda like the sound then I'm running my JBL lsr305 out of the balanced output that sounds fantastic I just need a better source to run into the balanced input and thank you for your help.

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,972 of 6,469
So if I choose to use the balanced inputs on the back and put the switch on the front two balanced I will not be using the internal DAC is that correct?

That is correct.  To use the DAC the input is USB with the switch to well the DAC.

Both SE and XLR inputs on the Jot are line level inputs...

Mar 4, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #3,973 of 6,469
Because I'm using my axon 7 phone as my source and playing my music and running it into the USB part of the dac but it's sucking my battery dry that USB dac draws a lot of power from my phone so I'm looking for another source to plug into the balanced inputs in the back. I'm thinking of buying a separate DAC and maybe like a portable music player or something.

I have an Axon 7 too.  I often use the Axon as the source, and run that to a Chromecast Audio...then Optical Out from the Chromecast to an SMSL M8 DAC (that has optical in) to the Joty.

Lets me use all of the Axon Sources (BubbleUpnup App streams SDcard music to the Chromecast), streaming sources etc and sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back