Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Jul 1, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #151 of 224
  Don't forget there is 2 types of signal in a USB cable. Those "1" and "0" aren't the problem in USB most of the time. It's always the 5V line, which is analog, and powers Modi for example. These can be VERY noisy, lack power, drop and so on.

I'm not forgetting that, I was just being sarcastic. My only purpose in saying anything at all was to challenge the notion that the Wyrd is changing the tonality of the music. I've experienced noise and interference issues with a number of DACs, including several of Schiit's. They made the Wyrd to take care of the noisy 5V power problem. They didn't make it to modify the music and make it sound "better." The only way it will sound different or better is by there not being noise from the computer. 

For what it's worth, I think the Wyrd is probably a great product and I was planning on buying one myself. But first, I tried out a different USB hub than what I was using and it took care of the problem already. 

My point: If you're experiencing dirty power issues or power dropouts with your USB connection, try out the Wyrd and I'm sure it will fix your problems. Do not buy it expecting it to "smooth the highs," "reduce sibilance" or "really fill out the low-end," because that's just silly. Schiit themselves make no claim on that and in fact say otherwise in a careful way. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #153 of 224
  It's not about the "1"s and "0"s, it's about getting the most placebo effect for the least cost.

That Wyrd placebo you have connected to your laptop is pretty cheap compared to most.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #154 of 224
The Wyrd reclocks the USB data with 20ppm oscillators. The effect is similar to clock upgrades or mods on CD players and DACs if anyone has every taken it upon themselves to do something that like. Just that the Wyrd costs much less than such mods.

In my experience tweaking the internals of some DACs, clock upgrades can do all sorts of stuff. Usually they bring about a more focused and precise sound, more pinpoint imaging, and blacker background. Sometimes a offer a deeper stage, sometimes more bass, sometimes smoother treble. I only got a more focused and precise sound, more pinpoint imaging, and blacker background with the Wyrd.

In theory, the Wyrd shouldn't do schiit. But listening to it, I have to acknowledge "What, this is weird!" Which is why I'm sure Jason named it Wyrd. The Wyrd does something for me, but like Jason, I would have to say no guarantees and 0-100% better YMMV.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #155 of 224
Chiming in here to agree with darinf.

I've had Wyrd for 24 hours now and notice a subtle 'calming' of high frequencies. 
I'm using a DragonFly v1.2 with JH16s and Starlight USB. Previously had the DragonFly plugged directly into the back of my iMac (Late 2013).

Jul 3, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #156 of 224
  I've had Wyrd for 24 hours now and notice a subtle 'calming' of high frequencies. 
I'm using a DragonFly v1.2 with JH16s and Starlight USB. Previously had the DragonFly plugged directly into the back of my iMac (Late 2013).

I have noticed my mood, time of the day, weather outside and blood pressure have much more pronounced effect on perceived sound quality. Sometimes things sound different (better or worse) and I doubt anything changes in my audio system aside the least stable link in it - myself.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #158 of 224
A random but not unrelated question... Does anybody have a Schiit quad stack? Specifically a Wyrd-> Loki -> Modi -> Magni ? Just curious.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #159 of 224
^+1 Thinking about adding Wyrd>Loki to my Modi>Lyr 2 stack

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #161 of 224
Right you are ken. Overkill? Ehhhh yeah, but who cares. The Wyrd fixes any power issues with the Modi, plus it's stackable and matches to boot.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #162 of 224
A random but not unrelated question... Does anybody have a Schiit quad stack? Specifically a Wyrd-> Loki -> Modi -> Magni ? Just curious.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715525/avant-le-schiitstorm-a-couple-of-small-announcements/75#post_10524462

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #163 of 224
Adding a 100$ USB hub for a 100$ DAC.

Overkill, maybe, though I am guessing that. The improvement is even more pronounced with less expensive DAC's. Plus it will grok with me when I move up in DAC's. My $$$'s are focused on new headphones first, probably the 560's, though I want to give the AD and LCD 2.2's a listen first. The Lyr 2 is a keeper though, like my 650's it will be passed on to my Daughters :angel::angel:

#headfi

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #164 of 224

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715525/avant-le-schiitstorm-a-couple-of-small-announcements/75#post_10524462

As Ian Malcolm most notably stated... Now that, is one big pile of Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back