Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
May 31, 2014 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 224
Hey all,

Yep, you asked for it, hell, you predicted it… and now, Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 are here! If you're near TheShow Newport, stop by and have a listen. And, check out our new Wyrd USB descrewifier and Mani phono preamp, as well as a production Ragnarok.

"Wait, wait, wait!" You say. "You sneaked all these new products out and launch them at a show? And you don't tell us beforehand? Don't you love us anymore?"

Sure we do...but you know, competent companies like launching products at shows, and we thought we'd try to be competent for a change.

Let's talk for a moment about Wyrd and Mani. These two new entrants to our affordable line of gear look a lot like Modi, but they're both very different in purpose.

Wyrd cleans up USB power with an ultra-low-noise linear power supply (no switchers here) and repeats it with a precision crystal oscillator-controlled interface. We're not going to make any claims about sonics, but it'll definitely stop USB noise and power problems in their tracks. Some people say Wyrd makes everything sound better. We don't know how it can possibly do so, so we're going to stay Swiss on the subject. Wyrd will ship in June for $99.

Mani is our first phono preamp, with two gain stages, each with switchable gain, a fully passive RIAA network, and selectable cartridge loading. It also features a linear, ultra-low-noise power supply. It'll be shipping in August for $129.

Now, let's talk amps, Like Asgard 2, both Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 look a lot like their predecessors, but are significantly different inside.

Valhalla 2 is now fully ready for efficient, low-impedance headphones, with switchable gain and only 3.5 ohms output impedance in low gain mode (14 ohms in high gain). And Valhalla 2's performance into high-impedance headphones is even better than ever. It's also ready for your powered monitors, with preamp outs. It's much, much more versatile than you'd expect an OTL tube amp to be.

Lyr 2 is also now ready for a much wider range of headphones, too. Five separate regulated power supplies, including the 180V tube rail and DC heaters, now make Lyr much quieter than ever before. And the addition of a gain switch allows you to use low gain for an even blacker background. Now, if you want to run orthos--and, say, Grados--Lyr 2 is great for both.

Valhalla 2 Product Page

Lyr 2 Product Page

Best of all, both Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 are available right now. As in, no death-of-a-thousand-cuts-while-waiting-for-our-suppliers-to-get-their-stuff-together. As in, unlike Ragnarok and Yggdrasil.

But they're next!*

All the best,
Jason

*With the usual disclaimers about how things may slip (do slip), etc. Yeah. Sigh.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 31, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 224
I just wish Schiit stuff was available in the UK at a decent price. The UK distributers price them at the same number of pounds as they are priced in dollars in the US. That's a 70% mark-up at today's rates.

May 31, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 224
  I was waiting for a phono preamp from you guys

Yep, me too!  Very happy to see this. 
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 224
This is awesome Jason. I knew you guys were bringing the Lyr 2 sometime in the future, and now the future is here!

I had Lyr 1 with the non-uber bifrost back in the day when they first came out to power my LCD-2. I'm thinking of doing a sequal stack with the 2 + uber now...

I hope people post impressions from the show.

May 31, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #7 of 224
Schiit phono preamp! I, for one, am certainly happy about that.

Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2 both look good. I've always been an OTL fan with my HD650, quieter noise floor might finally sell me on Lyr.

May 31, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 224
I'd like more details on the Mani. What values for cart loading? I assume 47k Ohms for one but what's the other or is it variable?

There are very few affordable phono pres that offer variable cart loading, so that would be rather cool.

May 31, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 224
Wyrd sounds really fun. Possibly will make some interesting discussions on computeraudiophile.com folks there. 

May 31, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 224
  Hey all,

Yep, you asked for it, hell, you predicted it… and now, Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 are here! If you're near TheShow Newport, stop by and have a listen. And, check out our new Wyrd USB descrewifier and Mani phono preamp, as well as a production Ragnarok.

"Wait, wait, wait!" You say. "You sneaked all these new products out and launch them at a show? And you don't tell us beforehand? Don't you love us anymore?"

Sure we do...but you know, competent companies like launching products at shows, and we thought we'd try to be competent for a change.

Let's talk for a moment about Wyrd and Mani. These two new entrants to our affordable line of gear look a lot like Modi, but they're both very different in purpose.

Wyrd cleans up USB power with an ultra-low-noise linear power supply (no switchers here) and repeats it with a precision crystal oscillator-controlled interface. We're not going to make any claims about sonics, but it'll definitely stop USB noise and power problems in their tracks. Some people say Wyrd makes everything sound better. We don't know how it can possibly do so, so we're going to stay Swiss on the subject. Wyrd will ship in June for $99.

Mani is our first phono preamp, with two gain stages, each with switchable gain, a fully passive RIAA network, and selectable cartridge loading. It also features a linear, ultra-low-noise power supply. It'll be shipping in August for $129.

Now, let's talk amps, Like Asgard 2, both Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 look a lot like their predecessors, but are significantly different inside.

Valhalla 2 is now fully ready for efficient, low-impedance headphones, with switchable gain and only 3.5 ohms output impedance in low gain mode (14 ohms in high gain). And Valhalla 2's performance into high-impedance headphones is even better than ever. It's also ready for your powered monitors, with preamp outs. It's much, much more versatile than you'd expect an OTL tube amp to be.

Lyr 2 is also now ready for a much wider range of headphones, too. Five separate regulated power supplies, including the 180V tube rail and DC heaters, now make Lyr much quieter than ever before. And the addition of a gain switch allows you to use low gain for an even blacker background. Now, if you want to run orthos--and, say, Grados--Lyr 2 is great for both.

Valhalla 2 Product Page

Lyr 2 Product Page

Best of all, both Valhalla 2 and Lyr 2 are available right now. As in, no death-of-a-thousand-cuts-while-waiting-for-our-suppliers-to-get-their-stuff-together. As in, unlike Ragnarok and Yggdrasil.

But they're next!*

All the best,
Jason

*With the usual disclaimers about how things may slip (do slip), etc. Yeah. Sigh.

hey very cool! 

May 31, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 224
Can't wait to hear impressions of Mani. I'm currently using a Musical Fidelity V90 LPS with V-PSU II supply. I'd love to know how the Mani compares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back