Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Jul 7, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #166 of 224
  Adding a 100$ USB hub for a 100$ DAC.

#headfi

Or...a power regulated, noise-reduced reclocked USB DAC for $198. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #167 of 224
A random but not unrelated question... Does anybody have a Schiit quad stack? Specifically a Wyrd-> Loki -> Modi -> Magni ? Just curious.

Not a quad...just a triple...

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #168 of 224
Jul 9, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #171 of 224
  Quadruple stack is where it's at.

Behold! The QUADRASCHIIT! Thanks for sharing
smily_headphones1.gif

So I noticed you have a secret amplifier on-top of your stack... Care to elaborate? lol

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #172 of 224
LOL, it's a pre-production Vali. I wanted to keep it as a memento instead of turning it in for a production unit.

A couple of things to consider:

• If you have DSD and PCM, you can use Loki as your sole dedicated DAC if you run JRiver on PC. JRiver can do real-time conversion of PCM to DSD (just like how many SACD releases are PCM to DSD conversions.) I'm sure this can be done on Apple too because Apple software is generally superior.  This approach of converting PCM to DSD in software before playback actually yields good results. I know some people have indicated that the Modi can sound thin with certain setups / headphones. The Loki is warmer sounding than the Modi and is certainly a viable solution. The Loki actually sounds better than some highly touted more expensive DSD capable DACs. YMMV.
  • Wyrd makes Modi sound like a desktop amp. Shockingly good. More later on this. I will tease.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #173 of 224
The Wyrd is half the price of the iFi USB Power and appears to do the same job of providing a solid power supply and removing noise from the USB signal.  It seems like a no-brainer product if you use a USB powered DAC.

Secondly, I use and love my Lyr amplifier but I'm wondering if there are any significant differences in Lyr 2 besides the gain switch (which I do not need)?  Anyone do a comparison yet?

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #174 of 224
Wyrd also reclocks USB data lines. This is significant.

Lyr 2 maintains the warmth and macrodynamic slam of Lyr 1, but with much improved microdynamics and microdetail. The improvements while incremental are important in the sense that the Lyr 2 sounds much more lively and immediate without any changes in tonal balance. The Vahalla 2 is drastically improved where I think it's Schiit's best amp so far assuming an appropriate headphone is used with it. While the Vahalla 2 has more headphone flexibility now, it's still best suited to high Z cans like the Senn 6/8X0s, classic Beyers, etc. For lower Z orthos, it's Lyr 2 or Asgard 2. But given that I'm partial to well executed tube designs, I'd take the Lyr 2 to the Asgard 2.

Jul 9, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #175 of 224
Has anyone done a Valhalla 2 vs. Crack comparison? The Crack is lauded as the high ohm champion, but I don't own a soldering iron or other necessary tools. And I really like the Schiit guys.

Pay a bit more but get a warranty and not have to build it. As long as it's a great performer, I'm down for that.

Jul 10, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #176 of 224
Has anyone done a Valhalla 2 vs. Crack comparison? The Crack is lauded as the high ohm champion, but I don't own a soldering iron or other necessary tools. And I really like the Schiit guys.

Pay a bit more but get a warranty and not have to build it. As long as it's a great performer, I'm down for that.

I considered both recently, and went w the Valhalla2. I like to build/solder, & I understand that the crack is superb. But the prices were roughly similar (considering some supplies I would use in building the crack), and I also like the warranty and the form factor of the Schiit (fits in a rack, doesn't need to be on a top surface). Love the sound of the V2 & hard to imagine it would be bettered (sorry I've never heard the crack yet).

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #180 of 224

1. Apple Macbook Air -> Amarra -> Wyrd -> Geek Out 450 -> Lyr 2 -> HD800(stock) and Paradox Slants and Noble Switch PR in the R configuration:

In this case, I think there's even more difference. It's wyrd though that the output level seems to be louder when the Wyrd is in the loop. That doesn't make any sense though, but maybe the internal volume of the GO changes when I plug it into the Wyrd vs. the Macbook USB port. The difference is basically the same as with the Hugo, but I think there may be more bass impact with the Wyrd. On the highs, it's definitely smoother and less harsh with the Wyrd.

Anyway, I figure if I can hear the difference, then other more experienced listeners will definitely hear it and be able to describe more accurately the differences when they hear it.

Did you plug in the GO 450 direct to the Wyrd or did you use the slacker cable?

If you have any further impressions to share on the Wyrd I'd love to hear them. I'm also considering getting the Wyrd to pair with my GO 450.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back