Schiit Hits the Fan! Valhalla 2, Lyr 2 announced, Wyrd and Mani Previewed.
Oct 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #196 of 224
  ...How?

I hvae Valhalla 2 and Bifrost the Valhalla 2 blow my beyerdynamic DT 990 600oh 2 times the right side its works but the left side its not works,

I repair my headphone and its smaething blow the left side i talk with beyerdynamic and told me the proplem from amp and i search in Head Fi and i see another people have same my proplem!!,

And i have HD 800 im so afraid to run it to Valhalla 2

Oct 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #197 of 224

I am sorry, why do you think the Valhalla 2 blew your Beyerdynamic Headphone? I have never heard a report of a  Valhalla 2 damaging any 'Phones. Who is telling you this? Are you sure it isn't a Dealer/Manufacturer trying to avoid a warranty issue?

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #198 of 224
  I hvae Valhalla 2 and Bifrost the Valhalla 2 blow my beyerdynamic DT 990 600oh 2 times the right side its works but the left side its not works,

I repair my headphone and its smaething blow the left side i talk with beyerdynamic and told me the proplem from amp and i search in Head Fi and i see another people have same my proplem!!,

Sorry to hear that man.
Talk about a similar experience..just plugged my 880-600s into them and BAM a weird pop on the left driver..I pray to god everyday for the safety of my headphones when I plug them into the V2 or any other OTL for that matter.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #199 of 224

I am sorry, why do you think the Valhalla 2 blew your Beyerdynamic Headphone? I have never heard a report of a  Valhalla 2 damaging any 'Phones. Who is telling you this? Are you sure it isn't a Dealer/Manufacturer trying to avoid a warranty issue?

This is another one has blew 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646678/my-new-schiit-valhalla-killed-my-beyer-dt990-600s

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #200 of 224
  Sorry to hear that man.
Talk about a similar experience..just plugged my 880-600s into them and BAM a weird pop on the left driver..I pray to god everyday for the safety of my headphones when I plug my them into the V2 or any other OTL for that matter.

You mean you have same my proplem? with DT 800 

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #202 of 224

The Valhalla 2 is designed to be able to be used with low impedance IEMs as well as high impedance headphones, so it is strange that you will have an issue especially with the ultra high impedance 600ohm dt990 that should be able to handle a lot more power.

I would contact Schiit customer service. 

Information from their website:
"Does this have a muting relay, like all your other amps?
No. The slow turn-on and turn-off characteristics of tubes and limited current capability means there's no muting relay—which is the same for pretty much every tube OTL headphone amp out there. While there is DC on the output at turn-on and turn-off, it is on the order of 100mV into 32-ohm headphones. If you are concerned about this, unplug your headphones before turning the amp off, and wait 30 seconds or so after you turn Valhalla 2 on to plug in."

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #203 of 224

The Valhalla 2 is designed to be able to be used with low impedance IEMs as well as high impedance headphones, so it is strange that you will have an issue especially with the ultra high impedance 600ohm dt990 that should be able to handle a lot more power.

I would contact Schiit customer service. 

Information from their website:
"Does this have a muting relay, like all your other amps?
No. The slow turn-on and turn-off characteristics of tubes and limited current capability means there's no muting relay—which is the same for pretty much every tube OTL headphone amp out there. While there is DC on the output at turn-on and turn-off, it is on the order of 100mV into 32-ohm headphones. If you are concerned about this, unplug your headphones before turning the amp off, and wait 30 seconds or so after you turn Valhalla 2 on to plug in."

i have already contact 

by the way what is mean OTL ?

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #206 of 224
^ Exactly. Sometimes a headphone driver goes bad. Doesn't mean the amp it happened to be plugged into made it happen.

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #207 of 224
Got my Wyrd yesterday. It dealt with the small amount of glitches i was having during playback but it did not help with mahusive amounts of glitches I'm having when my PC is turned off.

My chain consist of:
PC -> (Wyrd) -> uDac3 -coax> Argon DA-2 -> B&W DM685

One other thing, the powersupply i got with the Wyrd is basically unusable by me. It's louder than my PC, which consists of a Define R4, 1 SSD, undervolted fans a CUII 270X TOP clocked to schonk and fans speed at a minimum. It's bloody quiet so maybe not the fairest of comparisons. Though i can't stand this mosquito supply.

For $100+ i would have liked a properly working PSU though these little buggers do not travel that well so it might have gotten knocked in transit, who knows.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #208 of 224
  Got my Wyrd yesterday. It dealt with the small amount of glitches i was having during playback but it did not help with mahusive amounts of glitches I'm having when my PC is turned off.

My chain consist of:
PC -> (Wyrd) -> uDac3 -coax> Argon DA-2 -> B&W DM685

One other thing, the powersupply i got with the Wyrd is basically unusable by me. It's louder than my PC, which consists of a Define R4, 1 SSD, undervolted fans a CUII 270X TOP clocked to schonk and fans speed at a minimum. It's bloody quiet so maybe not the fairest of comparisons. Though i can't stand this mosquito supply.

For $100+ i would have liked a properly working PSU though these little buggers do not travel that well so it might have gotten knocked in transit, who knows.

I should not make any noise at all. I think that power supply is defective. Should call Schiit and ask for the replacement.

Dec 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #209 of 224
Hey guys, was looking to order one of these amps and thought I'd get a second opinion.  Do you guys recommend:

Valhalla 2
-or-
Lyr 2

for the headphones in this collection:

Denon D7000
Senn HD 650
Phil. Fidelio X1
Hi-Fi Man HE-5LE
Mad Dogs
UE Triple-Fi 10vi

?

I'm leaning towards the Valhalla 2 based on recommendation that I don't need the power of the Lyr 2 to drive my cans well.  I'll be using my NuForce Icon HDP as the dedicated DAC. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back