Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #110,162 of 151,483
I still have a Silver BF2 on my HP rig stack, but the Freya N tilted the color pallet to black on my 2 channel rig setup. As soon as Bill sends me the AES Super Amp and I replace my silver Belkin PureAV power conditioner with a Furman Elite, all my 2-channel gear will be black or close. (The AES is dark gray'ish, but close enough.) :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #110,163 of 151,483
Hello!
1st post here on Head-fi. I've been following along for a couple of months and wanted to say thanks for such an informative and entertaining thread.

I got my Freya N a couple of weeks ago, but it was defective. Sent it in, they repaired it, sent it back to me. Still defective. Today I was offered a replacement, or a refund. I was really unsure if I still wanted the Freya at this point. Maybe just stick with my OG Saga. But after reading your posts today about the Freya N, I've decided to give it another shot, and will pick up my new one at the Schiitr meet tomorrow evening. Everyone at Schiit has been great about the entire process, BTW. The Freya N seems like an amazing preamp and I will happy to have it in my system.

:v:

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #110,164 of 151,483
Hello @bdem1 - there have been multiple previous incarnations of this system, with the (OG) LS50s as the constant. At one point, I used a NAD M51 DAC, connected to a Jolida 3000 tube pre-amp driving a Carver TFM-35 power amp. That sounded pretty good, too. The NAD went off to my brother-in-law, the Jolida is sitting in a box in my closet, and the Carver is off to its next home, too.

From what I have heard, Ragnarok is a fine amplifier. Are you using the internal DAC today?

You are likely chasing the dragon, but it's totally fun IMHO. I do it a lot. But the Aegirs are different than anything I've heard before in this setup (and BTW, the rebuilt Carver amp was exceptionally quiet, smooth and powerful). I spent several years with a pair of OG Vidars, and my main system is powered by Tyr(s), and I can say that the Aegirs driving the LS50s is a combo that you really need to hear. YMMV, but as Paul McCartney said... "Ram on!" :) Hope this helps! /ds
I love my Aegir, and have been thinking of adding a 2nd one, but I've heard some people say that some of the magic is lost when that is done. What has your experience been?

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #110,165 of 151,483
A little olive wood and walnut headphone stand I just completed.
BEC97423-B15C-4D3D-803F-4ED04DCE6310.jpeg57ED9F7C-00FF-4A6C-A0DA-6BAA5C9D5C5E.jpeg
this looks great--much more aesthetically interesting than my hifiracks ltd wooden headphone stand

Feb 8, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #110,166 of 151,483
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #110,168 of 151,483
Thank you guys - glad I got the notifications - added + ordered. Easier to switch between amplifiers.

4 x adapters for 4 x 2c51, or do I just have Vali 2+ Vali 2++ brain?
2x will suffice for the gain stage. That's where you'll derive the greatest benefit. 😉

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #110,169 of 151,483
lol

Yesterday I purchased what may be the last closeout OG Yggy from Schiit's B-stock.
I'm having them perform the case-ectomy to turn it into Yggy+.
I saved some bucks buying from B-Stock and will (hopefully) get it much sooner than if I purchased OG Yggy+ outright which is currently shipping in 10-12 weeks.

FWIW, this was a 100% sober purchase so maybe it will sound slightly better than a drunk purchase. Time will tell. :beerchug:
I must have gotten the second to last one then.

Or are they? I’ve been watching that page for a while, and it seems they keep finding a few more. Either that’s done intentionally to make them appear more scarce than they are, or they really don’t have a good handle on their inventory.

Feb 8, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #110,171 of 151,483
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #110,172 of 151,483
Why you would want to downgrade your Bifrost, though, that's an entirely different question. 😈
Technically, isn't black a better colour for a heat sink?

I like both the black and silver...

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #110,173 of 151,483
Feb 8, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #110,174 of 151,483
Oh, I do admit, I'm extremely happy the Freya N is not available in silver...! My wallet is even happier...! 🤣
I was actually waiting for it to come out in silver. When it went on clearance in black, I succumbed. That led to a cascade of low willpower purchases of Aegir and Bifrost.

I fell for Jason's fiendish plan of using Freya N as a loss leader to encourage other purchases.

Feb 8, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #110,175 of 151,483
I must have gotten the second to last one then.

Or are they? I’ve been watching that page for a while, and it seems they keep finding a few more. Either that’s done intentionally to make them appear more scarce than they are, or they really don’t have a good handle on their inventory.
You and I purchased some of the last units before before Schiit changed over to selling Yggy+ exclusively.
Schiit is honest about their inventory.
We took advantage of the transition from Yggy to Yggy+ and saved a few dollars.
Enjoy your purchase. I'll enjoy mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back