Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #110,131 of 151,658
Whilst listening to vinyl last night...

...my buddy Steve and I killed the 750 of Crown Royal Reserve whiskey, so we started on the Glenfiddich Experimental Series IPA Cask finish scotch. Impressive. Therefore, there are new tasks to be resolved ASAP.

Updated ToDo list:
  • Get a 1.5L of Crown Royal Reserve, this time
    • The 750 was emptied too quickly
  • Get another 750 of the IPA Cask finish, for backup purposes

:)

One of my favourites beers, Innis & Gunn, are "beers matured in rum casks, Scotch whisky casks, Irish whiskey casks and more. Our unique, breakthrough beer in barrel process ensures consistent cask-matured beer with a rich depth of flavour." - But I've never known of whiskey finished in beer casks. Who knew.

Attachments

• caskmatured.jpg
    caskmatured.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #110,132 of 151,658
...my buddy Steve and I killed the 750 of Crown Royal Reserve whiskey, so we started on the Glenfiddich Experimental Series IPA Cask finish scotch. Impressive. Therefore, there are new tasks to be resolved ASAP. Therefore, there are new tasks that will remain unresolved until such a time as we are in full possession of our faculties.
I think this is what you really meant to post. :D

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #110,133 of 151,658
One of my favourites beers, Innis & Gunn, are "beers matured in rum casks, Scotch whisky casks, Irish whiskey casks and more. Our unique, breakthrough beer in barrel process ensures consistent cask-matured beer with a rich depth of flavour." - But I've never known of whiskey finished in beer casks. Who knew.
Yes Innis & Gunn beers do have a unique taste and finish that is both delicious and intriguing - I do wonder what beer finished in a bourbon cask would be like ?

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #110,134 of 151,658
Sadly very true - my old original vinyl Lp's are waaaaaaaayyyyyy better in dynamics and involvement
My memory of the albums from the 80s was that they were cheaply made, usually warped, and had lots of surface noise. Masters weren't great either, to the point where I spent twice as much to get the japanese pressings of my favorite bands.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #110,135 of 151,658
My memory of the albums from the 80s was that they were cheaply made, usually warped, and had lots of surface noise. Masters weren't great either, to the point where I spent twice as much to get the japanese pressings of my favorite bands.
Very true also - but the ones I purchased in the 1970's were mainly very good indeed - the curse of over compression and poor vinyl seemed to evolve as the 1980's progressed -

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #110,136 of 151,658

I agree 100%. I'm actually somewhat surprised that LP pressings haven't deteriorated back into 80s surface noise levels. It's been 3 years since the Apollo Masters fire, and still no new lacquer blank production facilities, other than the 1 company in Japan. New master production has to be near a complete stand still by now. Plus, existing stamper metalwork has to be pretty worn out, with little relief in sight. Albums do not sound good, when pressed from worn out metal.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #110,137 of 151,658
Hello. This is great to hear! I was thinking of this setup nearfield with my LS50 Meta's. I currently have a Rag 2 driving them....have you tried any other setup to compare the Aegir's? Not sure if I am just chasing my dragon, but was wondering if the Aegir's/Freya + instead of Rag 2 would be a better sounding setup for these.

Thank you for this review
Hello @bdem1 - there have been multiple previous incarnations of this system, with the (OG) LS50s as the constant. At one point, I used a NAD M51 DAC, connected to a Jolida 3000 tube pre-amp driving a Carver TFM-35 power amp. That sounded pretty good, too. The NAD went off to my brother-in-law, the Jolida is sitting in a box in my closet, and the Carver is off to its next home, too.

From what I have heard, Ragnarok is a fine amplifier. Are you using the internal DAC today?

You are likely chasing the dragon, but it's totally fun IMHO. I do it a lot. But the Aegirs are different than anything I've heard before in this setup (and BTW, the rebuilt Carver amp was exceptionally quiet, smooth and powerful). I spent several years with a pair of OG Vidars, and my main system is powered by Tyr(s), and I can say that the Aegirs driving the LS50s is a combo that you really need to hear. YMMV, but as Paul McCartney said... "Ram on!" :) Hope this helps! /ds

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #110,138 of 151,658
Very true also - but the ones I purchased in the 1970's were mainly very good indeed - the curse of over compression and poor vinyl seemed to evolve as the 1980's progressed -
By the mid 80s anyway most commercial releases in the states were cheaply made. Record stores in NYC carried new Japanese and German and English (quality in that order it was said) pressings.

I would also like to bring up a slightly sore subject with me.

Whatever happened to the digital dividend? Like the peace dividend, we were supposed to be buying LONGER CDS for LESS MONEY since production of cds is INFINTESIMAL compared to LPS.

Anyone using an Aegir to drive Buchardt s400? Probably not enough power (and they sound great with Vidar OG), I am curious to hear this "sweet" sound of Aegir.

I won't buy two, I'd rather save for Tyr.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #110,139 of 151,658
I think this is what you really meant to post. :D
Ha! Yeah, no freaking WAY I would ever drive (especially not to BevMo!) after much more than a sip of brown liquor, and we were well past the sip stage...

I have also had enough experiences (recently) with stuff showing up at the door and me thinking "When in the hell did I order this?!?" So the Sutherland Mini-LOCO is not in transit to my place (at this time). #self_control

I _DO_ see that Ron Sutherland has released a Mk2 version of Mini-LOCO that offers potentially better connectivity to a wider range of turntables / cartridges... hmmmm.

pooh-think.gif

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #110,141 of 151,658
have also had enough experiences (recently) with stuff showing up at the door and me thinking "When in the hell did I order this?!?"
That is pretty much how I ended up with my Freya N...

Best inebriated purchase EVER! 😀

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #110,143 of 151,658
Hello @bdem1 - there have been multiple previous incarnations of this system, with the (OG) LS50s as the constant. At one point, I used a NAD M51 DAC, connected to a Jolida 3000 tube pre-amp driving a Carver TFM-35 power amp. That sounded pretty good, too. The NAD went off to my brother-in-law, the Jolida is sitting in a box in my closet, and the Carver is off to its next home, too.

From what I have heard, Ragnarok is a fine amplifier. Are you using the internal DAC today?

You are likely chasing the dragon, but it's totally fun IMHO. I do it a lot. But the Aegirs are different than anything I've heard before in this setup (and BTW, the rebuilt Carver amp was exceptionally quiet, smooth and powerful). I spent several years with a pair of OG Vidars, and my main system is powered by Tyr(s), and I can say that the Aegirs driving the LS50s is a combo that you really need to hear. YMMV, but as Paul McCartney said... "Ram on!" :) Hope this helps! /ds
Thank you. I am using a BF2 for my DAC. I got the Rag2 as just an amp and it does sound very good...I am just wondering if the Aegir/Freya combo would be GREAT!

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #110,144 of 151,658
By the mid 80s anyway most commercial releases in the states were cheaply made. Record stores in NYC carried new Japanese and German and English (quality in that order it was said) pressings.

I would also like to bring up a slightly sore subject with me.

Whatever happened to the digital dividend?^^ Like the peace dividend, we were supposed to be buying LONGER CDS for LESS MONEY since production of cds is INFINTESIMAL compared to LPS.

Anyone using an Aegir to drive Buchardt s400? Probably not enough power (and they sound great with Vidar OG), I am curious to hear this "sweet" sound of Aegir.

I won't buy two, I'd rather save for Tyr.
^^ the only digit to have been received is 🖕😒

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #110,145 of 151,658
That is pretty much how I ended up with my Freya N...

Best inebriated purchase EVER! 😀
Given that you talked me into my Freya N, what does that make my purchase?

.... And what does that mean for my subsequent Aegir and Bifrost 2 purchases that I was forced into against my will?

I am going to drop this line of thinking. I don't like where this is going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back