Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:13 PM Post #28,444 of 151,476
Dylan is a great singer .
RoflLg.gif

All my subjective opinion, of course.......:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #28,445 of 151,476
Dylan is a great singer but he doesn't have a great voice. There are a lot of people with great voices that can't sing.

so he's a poor man's maria callas?

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #28,447 of 151,476
There is more to being a great singer than just having a pretty voice. If one judges Dylan on a purely technical level, he is pretty mediocre, but if one listens to how he conveys the meanings and emotions in a song, then at his best he can be spellbinding. Listen to Blood on The Tracks for example.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #28,451 of 151,476
Being some thing of a Cultural Philistine my self, I can appreciate the latest humorous banter going on in here! Superb!

As for Dylan, over the years I have come to appreciate some of his music, even when he's singing it ("Tweeter and the Monkey Man" is GREAT!). When Leonard Cohen passed away, I honestly had no idea of who he was. None. Not a bit. I had to look him up and discovered I did not enjoy his singing at all. Same with the Amy Weinhouse. I tried to listen but could not get past her voice. Now I under stand that Cohen could write and so I will try to give his music more of a chance. May be I should just find some albums featuring his stuff sung by people I do enjoy and then progress from there.

I have zero talent. I do not sound good in my helmet in the middle of the desert on a beautiful day. I am that pathetic a singer and can not play a single note. But I know what I like. And I know what I loathe, cRap and Hippity Hop come immediately to my feeble mind. Hick-Hop (i.e., Taylor Swift) makes me very unhappy. My son likes some odd form of guttural/screaming metal rock. I can not stand it. My wife likes the news. I get enough of it alone. My daughter likes most of what I enjoy and so I buy her albums some times when I am out and get duplicates from Sinatra, The Beatles and the Beach Boys for example. I enjoy musicals. I grew up (not threw up! LOL!) listening to "Oklahoma!" and other great musicals and can watch the films over and over because it is like an album to me. "Brigadoon" is another fave.

And now for some thing completely different from me. Back on topic.

The Emotiva is working via the USB again and so I am listening right now to The Earl Klugh Trio. But I am closely monitoring the Schiit Site for the return of Schwartz Valhalla 2 (with that (UGH!) white light instead of a much BETTER red or blue one) while working to pay off recent purchases. Perhaps I should save until I can afford both the SV2 and a suitable DAC to accompany it? I do not mind saving up. Thoughts, gentlemen? My older brother is very much enjoying his Vali 2 and my younger brother said "NO!" to me giving him any thing. Again. For now...

I can hear some minds here..."The FARCE is strong with this toad"...

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #28,452 of 151,476
Being some thing of a Cultural Philistine my self, I can appreciate the latest humorous banter going on in here! Superb!

As for Dylan, over the years I have come to appreciate some of his music, even when he's singing it ("Tweeter and the Monkey Man" is GREAT!). When Leonard Cohen passed away, I honestly had no idea of who he was. None. Not a bit. I had to look him up and discovered I did not enjoy his singing at all. Same with the Amy Weinhouse. I tried to listen but could not get past her voice. Now I under stand that Cohen could write and so I will try to give his music more of a chance. May be I should just find some albums featuring his stuff sung by people I do enjoy and then progress from there.

Get a copy of Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat". She covers Cohen's songs rather well.

JC

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #28,453 of 151,476
Another great singer with a not so great voice is also one of my personal favorites, Leon Russell. And don't forget Doctor John.

They're in all genres...never owned a Willie Nelson song until I heard his Stardust album...

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #28,454 of 151,476

So, the Schiit gear doesn't quite live up to the stuff made by an outfit called "Constellation Audio." Constellation make kit that costs more than my pick-up truck did new. The reviewer complains that Schiit doesn't deliver the last few % of detail. *** son, compare the gear you're reviewing to something from the real world! Oh, there is no other gear in the real world that delivers what Schiit does. End of discussion.

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #28,455 of 151,476
Bob Dylan may not have the best singing voice, but it is a voice I sure like to listen to.

I can under stand that. My "singing" voice? It is horrid. No singin' in the rain for me. At least the Sheep Toads (Spadefoot Toad) of Aridzona can "baaa...baaaa" when it rains.

As with taste in equipment, all here (hear?) have more in common than any differences we display on this site as well as in the real world. That which is common among us is far more worthy of praise than any so-called differences. Societal zeitgeist dictates that we celebrate differences, while common sense shows that we acknowledge them and work to share rather than force them upon one another.

Or some thing like that.

But yeah. I will never listen to cRap or Hippity-Hop, so I am some thing of a happy hypocrite (YUPPERS!) when some yoot is blaring that sort of stuff next to me at a light, I will some times turn up "The Turtles" and if perchance they look at me as though "offended" (i.e., give me their interpretation of the "thousand yard stare")I simply inflate the "Balloon of Friendship" and offer to them, LOL! I can be an ass hole but try not to be a whole ass.

I am going to look for that Jennifer Warnes "blue rain coat" album today at my local Narnes & Boble. I enjoy her singing.

Time to cue up some Travelling Pillsuburys followed by James Brown! Which begs the question that must be axed...Would it sound better via Schiit? I think it might at least look better. With a RED light on the SV2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back