Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #24,046 of 149,607
Here we go again..

DACs
Yggdrasil = Yggy (no multibit designation needed, hence no "mby")
Gungnir MultiBit = GuMB = Gumby
Bifrost MultiBit = BiMB = Bimby
Modi MultiBit = MoMB = Mimby? (although you could argue that its taking the i from the end of Modi, so MiMB)

Amps
Jotunheim = Jot
Ragnarok = Rag (I've read Raggy as well, I think that is to align it with Yggy)

Seems like those are the main nicknames for Schiit gear that I've seen used most often.

I'm all for the nicknames in that it adds a sense of ownership like mentioned a few posts ago. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions and how they want to refer to things. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't condemn those that do use them.

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #24,047 of 149,607
To me, shortening a name and adding a "y" to it sounds juvenile and lazy. But I grew up in the south where my family insisted ion doing that to my first name so I have hated the practice all my life. I'm an old dog, and some new tricks are outside my repertoire.
I hope we get some input from Jason soon.

So Blezy and Ozzy are out then?:)

Jason, it's getting toward the end of summer, help!

Oh almost forgot, Cozzi how is the remodeling coming?

Sep 5, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #24,048 of 149,607
Oh almost forgot, Cozzi how is the remodeling coming?

Oh well... as axpected I guess.
On the first day they ripped my house apart.
Now, almost two working weeks later they still have to decide which line or tube goes where before hacking the walls installing them and close up the walls again.
So I'm living in dust and noise.
And I will have to shave (my puss*) Constanza to get all the dust out of her regal coiffure.
And that alone will be an adventure and the first time in 14 years I'll see her in the nude.

On the Schiit side I had a sort of statistical epiphany.
I think we'll soon see some updates on the Multibit Dacs

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #24,049 of 149,607
Hey guys,

Sorry to be scarce, but it's been a busy couple of weeks. We're heading for what you might call a "triple flusher." That is, we're introducing three new products:

One will be two weeks before RMAF, on September 19. This one may be small in size and price. It may even look a bit familiar (doesn't all of our stuff?), but it's going to be very, very big in terms of performance and features. I'll avoid using the usual "never be the same again/resetting the bar/punching above its weight" hype, but we're really proud of this one. I'm excited to hear what you think.

Then, you'll see another new product one week before RMAF, on the 26th. This one is a new take on a very old idea, and will almost certainly cause some significant grumpitude and harrumphing from the, ahem, more traditional audiophile crowd. It's time to start skewering some sacred cows. But again, this one will be affordable as well. I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to the pro/con discussion.

And finally, at RMAF, we'll have something really groundbreaking. This one you won't be able to buy right away, but it will be a fully-functional look at something we've been working on for a long time. This one is a new take on a new idea, and it's definitely going to cause some lively discussions. I won't say any more, but you'll certainly be hearing more about this one—and, if you like what you hear, you'll be able to try it for yourself soon, for a very affordable price tag.

I'll try for an interim chapter before the 19th, but no promises. This is a busy month!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #24,051 of 149,607
Fantastic! Celebrating the equinox the Schiit way. Go get 'em at RMAF!

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #24,052 of 149,607
Hey guys,

Sorry to be scarce, but it's been a busy couple of weeks. We're heading for what you might call a "triple flusher." That is, we're introducing three new products:

One will be two weeks before RMAF, on September 19. This one may be small in size and price. It may even look a bit familiar (doesn't all of our stuff?), but it's going to be very, very big in terms of performance and features. I'll avoid using the usual "never be the same again/resetting the bar/punching above its weight" hype, but we're really proud of this one. I'm excited to hear what you think.

Then, you'll see another new product one week before RMAF, on the 26th. This one is a new take on a very old idea, and will almost certainly cause some significant grumpitude and harrumphing from the, ahem, more traditional audiophile crowd. It's time to start skewering some sacred cows. But again, this one will be affordable as well. I hope you enjoy it, and I look forward to the pro/con discussion.

And finally, at RMAF, we'll have something really groundbreaking. This one you won't be able to buy right away, but it will be a fully-functional look at something we've been working on for a long time. This one is a new take on a new idea, and it's definitely going to cause some lively discussions. I won't say any more, but you'll certainly be hearing more about this one—and, if you like what you hear, you'll be able to try it for yourself soon, for a very affordable price tag.

I'll try for an interim chapter before the 19th, but no promises. This is a busy month!

All the best,
Jason
Jason,

Do you think you might have been a woman in your past life. The amount of teasing would suggest so.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #24,053 of 149,607
Oh well... as axpected I guess.
On the first day they ripped my house apart.
Now, almost two working weeks later they still have to decide which line or tube goes where before hacking the walls installing them and close up the walls again.
So I'm living in dust and noise.
And I will have to shave (my puss*) Constanza to get all the dust out of her regal coiffure.
And that alone will be an adventure and the first time in 14 years I'll see her in the nude.

On the Schiit side I had a sort of statistical epiphany.
I think we'll soon see some updates on the Multibit Dacs
So...the Manhattan Project is getting closer?

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #24,055 of 149,607
Vidar listening impression (all 16/44). Becoming acquainted with Schiit audio products is getting to be expensive, even at the bargain prices.

I have to admit I have been a skeptic about the Vidar. I am not fond of the Joty single ended and Vidar stems from the same pivot point technology. I had heard the Vidar a couple of times and was not impressed. At Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, to me the sound came across as metallic, but then that is in a problematic space. I also listened for an hour or so connected to KEFs at the Shiitr. I decided I did not like the KEFs, at least I hoped that was what I did not like.

What do I like? Briefly, at orchestra I sit about row M (first row balcony), far enough back to let the sound cohere and gel. I listen for the fullness of the tones, the delicacy of the timbre, the wondrous difference of clarinet, flute, oboe. Not for me the front row and the blast of immediate impact (at orchestra or anywhere else).

However, my experience heretofore with Schiit has be quite good (Joty balanced), and the prices are quite good, so I decided to try the Vidar. Well, out of the box it was clear that it was quick and powerful, front-row, but (to me) not very musical and not something I wanted to listen to. After 24 hours of burn-in, I still did not want to listen to it. (Fortunately I have other equipment in a different room.) After two days I had some hope. After three days: this thing is a jewel!

My system for the burn in: computer usb>Gumby>MJ2>Sequerra speakers all in a difficult room acoustically. (The Sequerra speakers are stand mounts, "flat to 40 Hz", and thus good for orchestral music. The tweeter does have to be tamed with equalization, and after that they are quite nice.) Yeah, I hated to tie up my best headphone rig for 3 or 4 days, but it was my best option. And now after 3 days, the music is there, the timbres are developed! Powerful? Much more than enough for me in my modest sized rooms. Quick? Yes again, but as the full harmonics developed and the holographic image from the Gumby-MJ2 became apparent, the quickness was less noticeable, less "in your face".

A/B comparison? At this point only with the Adcom GFK 535 II, something of a budget classic that I have used in this room for years. Surprisingly to me, the Adcom just does not present the full holographic sense of space that the Vidar conveyed. Nor are the harmonics as fully developed. Sure one can tell a flute from a clarinet from an oboe, but not with all the subletlity that is apparent with the Vidar. And similarly with strings, and especially cello tones. Music--it is here with the Vidar, and frankly I am a bit astonished by the degree. I had not expected this.

edit: "Convey", I use that term intentionally. It is not that Vidar is somehow adding some fullness or luster to the sound. (Apart from sound stage) What I am hearing is very similar to what I hear from this system with my best headphones. In this sense the Vidar is "neutral", it is neither adding nor subtracting. Personally that is precisely what I want a power amp to do: let the sweetness, bloom, luster... come from the dac and preamp.

In a few days I will put in in my 'big rig' and compare it with a quality all class A amp--but that will be with Bimby and Seca, not Gumby and MJ2.

If $700 strains you budget and you can find an Adcom 535 II used at a nice price, that would be a good choice. If $700 fits your budget, grab the Vidar!

NF
Given Jason's post, I'll have to go to RMAF again this year. How much is this going to cost me???

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #24,057 of 149,607
Just a difference in gain and volume linearity most likely.
Thanks for that idea. Yeah I realize now if I use a preamp with gain (like magni 2 uber). I can get a lot more volume out of these speakers than with saga.
That said, I'm now eyeing up some floor standing speakers to replace these 1980s KLH bookshelf ones.

The Klipsch R28F seem to get good reviews and appear to be 9 dB more sensitive than my 89 dB KLH. Would I really expect almost double the SPL from these compared to my existing speakers with the same amp? Any other good recommendations for speakers in the 95-100 dB range. Or 4 Ohm speakers in nearly that range?

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #24,058 of 149,607
FWIW, I found this and kind of split the difference $ wise. It uses the same ELMA rotary switch (a $70 part by itself) as the more expensive switchboxes I listed earlier(https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-1600#post-13699852). It was "Only" ~$200.

rBZaV4J.jpg

http://www.dodocus.de/UBox4C-D.html

I have decided to add another component to take time off of the Freya's tubes. I like to listen to music all day, and don't like that much wear on the tubes, so I am going to buy a passive preamp, probably a SYS. I will then split the audio out of my DAC to the SYS and Freya, and run the
ir outputs into the Dodocus switchbox (along with Emotiva HT PrePro). The SYS will be fine for milling around and having on background music.

My only concern is, will splitting the output of my Modi MB, have any negative effect? I won't be running both preamps at the same time, and I only really care about potential source degradation, when listening to the Freya.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #24,059 of 149,607
Hey guys,
Sorry to be scarce, but it's been a busy couple of weeks. We're heading for what you might call a "triple flusher." That is, we're introducing three new products
Hey, I'm not even through digesting the Eitr/Gen 5 launch (Bimby Gen 5 upgrade still queued up, Eitr for a non-Schiit DAC arrived today, Yggy Gen 5 upgrade waiting for actual need), and there we go again :wink: I'm amazed at your productivity, for sure. And that Eitr, currently on the waiting to be upgraded Bimby, is ridiculously good, makes a dirt-cheap RPi music server sound like a several times more expensive source.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #24,060 of 149,607
33x79-vidar-freya-graphic-alt.jpg 33x79-vidar-graphic.jpg

Just a couple of banners from RMAF. No surprises on these.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back