Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #24,016 of 151,659
Just a matter of time before Spotify hits the market with CD quality. First indications in march of this year.
They had to close the license deal for the upcoming years with Warner Music to be able to start that service.
The Warner deal was closed recently (end of august) as the last one in the line of the big three.
So my guess is they are now preparing. I expect them to start doing CD quality in 2017 before the holiday season so you can make it a gift for Xmas.
No inside information though, just me expressing a gut feeling. And a logical step in the development of Spotify.

Sep 4, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #24,017 of 151,659
Now Deezer looks interesting. It has a native Windows/iOS app for computers, and there are remote control apps available for tablets and phones. Hmmm......looking much more interesting than Tidal, and half the price.

UPDATE: My mistake. Looks like Deezer HiFi is also $20 per month and is only available on Sonos, which makes it useless to me. I guess the search continues for decent lossless streaming.

Couple things, today's update shows that it's no longer just tied to Sonos. Also, you don't need Sonos to listen FLAC versions of the songs, but yes, it was required to sign up for the HiFi version.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #24,018 of 151,659
I am who I am, just as you are who you are. It is all about choice. I choose to speak what I hold true and others do like wise. If people do not agree, not a big deal.
I have chosen to not comment nearly as much as what I have to say is not exactly preaching to the choir and since the loss of my faith, I no longer care much about a great deal of stuff. As for the subjectivity of audio, suffice to say that my subjectivity is primarily reserved for how equipment looks. If something has a "signature sound" it is probably due to poor engineering.

I just want to listen to my music. Not equipment. Others can do as they please.

If you haven't found a Maine Coon cat yet don't give up the search, I understand they prefer vinyl.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #24,019 of 151,659
I wonder who will fill the real hole in the audiophile-streamingmarket.

I mean full ssd server parks fed with only the best linear powersupplies All cabling is done using oxigen free copper wiring except for internal server wiring which has to be pure silver for those trancient highs.
Ofcourse underclocked processors all around to reduce noise. All this will have to be placed on a slab of birchwood with purposebuild shockabsorbing spikes.
Naked women will dance holding crystals and burning sage to condition the servershed datalounge atmosphere at all time.
MQA-only for sure and considiring cheap stuff sucks....at a hefty premium.

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #24,021 of 151,659
Anyone know a reasonable way to implement a crossover with Jotunheim? I have some bookshelves that get down to 70jz and would like to add a sub.

So many ways.

First off, are your speakers passive or powered?

Near-field listening or in a big room?

Stereo or multi channel power amp?

Passive or active sub?

So many ways...

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #24,022 of 151,659
So many ways.

First off, are your speakers passive or powered?

Near-field listening or in a big room?

Stereo or multi channel power amp?

Passive or active sub?

So many ways...
Passive speakers nearfield listening. They're DIY speakers. Not sure about sub as I have a powered one but it's not 240v compatible. I have drivers to build passive if needed.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #24,025 of 151,659
Passive speakers nearfield listening. They're DIY speakers. Not sure about sub as I have a powered one but it's not 240v compatible. I have drivers to build passive if needed.
What information are you looking for, as far as crossovers? The Jotunheim has two preamp outputs (one balanced, one unbalanced), so it shouldn't be a problem. Use one set for the main speakers and the other for the subwoofer. Most powered subwoofers have their own low-pass crossover. There are adapters to convert between balanced and unbalanced (such as this) if you need to use them. You can run the main speakers full bandwidth or add an outboard hi-pass line-level crossover (such as this). If you want crossovers for both sub and mains, try something like this.

BTW why do you mention 240V compatibility and how is it relevant to your question?

Can Jotunheim drive passive speakers?
Those have to be some really easy to drive speakers if you ask me.
I would assume he's using an amplifier.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #24,027 of 151,659
What information are you looking for, as far as crossovers? The Jotunheim has two preamp outputs (one balanced, one unbalanced), so it shouldn't be a problem. Use one set for the main speakers and the other for the subwoofer. Most powered subwoofers have their own low-pass crossover. There are adapters to convert between balanced and unbalanced (such as this) if you need to use them. You can run the main speakers full bandwidth or add an outboard hi-pass line-level crossover (such as this). If you want crossovers for both sub and mains, try something like this.

BTW why do you mention 240V compatibility and how is it relevant to your question?

I would assume he's using an amplifier.
I'm in New Zealand and I don't want to use a step down converter. I have an old Outlaw Model LFM-1 Compact woofer that I would like to use. It has a built in crossover and can pass the crossed over signal to the mains, but it's 120/60hz and I'm 240/50hz. It does have a fuse and I know sometimes amps can be converted by replacing the fuse, but I haven't opened it up yet. Officially it doesn't support 240.

I don't plan to buy another sub, but would consider building another if I can't modify this one.

That ART CX311 seems like a good match.

Sep 4, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #24,028 of 151,659
Sep 4, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #24,029 of 151,659
Not sure what you meant by that. The subwoofer allows you to use speaker level input (instead of line level input), and in that case a pass-through mains speaker output is provided that has no crossover applied.
http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/lfmmanual.pdf
Thanks for pointing that out. For some reason I thought the built in crossover in the sub might be applied, but it doesn't say that in the manual.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #24,030 of 151,659
ov-1-blk-ls2-940x564metersheadphone.jpg
When you think products can't get any weirder. The headphones Schiit will NEVER build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back