Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 3, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #24,003 of 153,455
IMG_0022.JPG

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #24,005 of 153,455
OK I guess I asked for it... Anyway, I meant what is the audio component offered by Schiit Audio that is nicknamed "Gumby"?

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #24,007 of 153,455
OK I guess I asked for it... Anyway, I meant what is the audio component offered by Schiit Audio that is nicknamed "Gumby"?
Gungnir Multibit

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #24,008 of 153,455

Gumby = Gungnir Multibit

Sep 4, 2017 at 4:08 AM Post #24,009 of 153,455
GU = Gungnir
MB = MultiBit
Y = to make it sound more cuddly

Yggdrasil = always Multibit so no need to include the MB in the naming = Yggy
GuMBy see above
MiMBy = Modi Multibit -> should be MoMBy to be consistent (so let's use that from now on :ksc75smile:) I guess this started as a typo and nobody bothered to correct it.
BiMBy = Bifrost Multibit

So all Schiit DAC's that are available as Sigma-Delta and as Multibit are nicknamed like this in the MB version.

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #24,011 of 153,455
I am who I am, just as you are who you are. It is all about choice. I choose to speak what I hold true and others do like wise. If people do not agree, not a big deal.
I have chosen to not comment nearly as much as what I have to say is not exactly preaching to the choir and since the loss of my faith, I no longer care much about a great deal of stuff. As for the subjectivity of audio, suffice to say that my subjectivity is primarily reserved for how equipment looks. If something has a "signature sound" it is probably due to poor engineering.

I just want to listen to my music. Not equipment. Others can do as they please.

My thoughts too. I like to have nice sounding equipment, but am also looking for something that is pleasing to my eye and to my preferences for decor, for a reasonable price (!!)
I have invested in very good speakers* (Tannoy DMT15's ... which I'm sure others would not enjoy due to looks and/or sound) because I like the Tannoy clarity and imaging. The steps up I have made in speaker choices over the years have all contributed far more to the sound than other equipment. However, the recent ModiMB & Jotty combo into the system has taken it another, clear step forward. (compared to an Audio-GD DAC and Emotiva Processor)

There is for sure improvements to be had going up the audio ladder, but diminishing returns kick in at some point.

* And I got the Tannoys second hand from a studio, for a bargain :beerchug:

Sep 4, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #24,012 of 153,455
^Bimby and Saga (tube mode) also take my cheap Yamaha HS7 computer speakers to sound way above their price point (probably 2x their price point)

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #24,013 of 153,455
I realize the Sonos as a week spot. Problem is no other device offers anything but Tidal for streaming services. I personally use Deezer. Google Play and spotify. I find Deezer has much more content than Tidal. If Spotify ever come out with their HIFI version I would probably drop the other 2 services. I want a player with alternatives to Tidal as a music service.

Regarding Deezer, interesting news here:
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/09/deezer-ends-sonos-exclusivity-joins-hands-with-mqa/

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #24,014 of 153,455
And here's the link from Deezer: http://www.deezer-blog.com/press/de...ice-enabled-services-and-a-broader-ecosystem/

I'm a huge fan (and subscriber) of Deezer Elite over Tidal. Both are cd-quality, redbook, FLAC offerings. Always thought it was easier to just play music out the box with Deezer than Tidal. And it's come in handy when traveling for out of the US. The divorce from Sonos, I hope, will get more people onto Deezer's HiFi subscription. More importantly, I hope it's a viable alternative to Tidal so that services like Roon will expand more into streaming along with local library listening.

Roon is awesome when listening to an album and if you're interested in learning more about that story... just wish it had a better support for streaming services in addition to what I have ripped lcoally.

Sep 4, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #24,015 of 153,455
Now Deezer looks interesting. It has a native Windows/iOS app for computers, and there are remote control apps available for tablets and phones. Hmmm......looking much more interesting than Tidal, and half the price.

UPDATE: My mistake. Looks like Deezer HiFi is also $20 per month and is only available on Sonos, which makes it useless to me. I guess the search continues for decent lossless streaming.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back