Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #23,972 of 153,451
Victor Martell said:

"Yes, sorry I corrected my mistake. $129 a year, folks".

I was just agreeing with your correction. If it really was $129/month it would be fun to see how many signed up.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #23,973 of 153,451
haha ! :D

I think we should have a separate thread for Schiit product requests!

Funny you should mention that.

Since the Freya has no HT passthrough :frowning2: , I was just going to suggest (basically) a SYS w/o volume to be used as an a/b switch(possibly with higher end internal switch). I am currently looking at 2 nice options (to switch between my Emotiva PrePro and Freya into my Citation amp), but both are over 1/2 as much as the Freya costs.......

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #23,975 of 153,451
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #23,976 of 153,451
So the beer is for you.
Good, keeps the prostatual ports open a little longer.

This may be the most important thing I've learned on Head-Fi.

But is it true?
I actually stopped drinking beer a while back, but if it's putting my health at risk ... I guess I could be persuaded to start again :beerchug:

This new web site really sucks:poop:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #23,977 of 153,451
For the last 2.5 years I have been using SYS in reverse as a glorified switch to go between headphone amp and speaker amp. I only tested for quality loss when first got it using magni2/modi2Uber and HD598 but I couldn't hear any difference. I'm sitting here a bit dumbfounded right now. I was listening to a 24/96 rip of Moving Pictures and I got curious to see if I could hear a difference now that my system is much more resolving. I paused the music, hooked my Mimby straight into my Jotunheim with some BJC RCAs, bypassing the SYS then resumed playback. It took a total of 10 seconds at most. I don't know if this is just placebo or what but I'm definitely hearing an overall improvement in sound. I checked my SYS just now and the volume was maxed. I'm going to have to do some further testing to confirm this...

Sep 3, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #23,978 of 153,451
Simplifying the signal path with less cables and components is almost always going to give better results. Only use something if you need to.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #23,979 of 153,451
Simplifying the signal path with less cables and components is almost always going to give better results. Only use something if you need to.

This is what I have always thought. Maybe with the less resolving system it wasn't as apparent.

I now have my speaker amp hooked up to the RCA pre-outs on the Jotunheim, this has the added benefit of increasing the range of the SMSL SA-50 pot. Before I had to have the volume at about 5% or it was too loud with my Micca MB42X. Since the SA-50 is class D, it turns on instantly and turns off in about 3 seconds, so its basically just as fast as the switch on the SYS to turn the speakers on or off.

I also have an Eitr on the way to hopefully improve the sound even more.

Sep 3, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #23,980 of 153,451
Roon seems pretty capable but given that there are alternatives, from Volumio and Rune, to JRiver, Amarra and Audirvana, which cover most (and for me all) of what is needed, seems like a lot.
It depends on what you care about. Roon is radically better wrt metadata (even for much of my classical collection, especially after one learns some of the subtler tweaks for boxsets) than my previous "solution" of manual tag curation. And it runs reliably on Linux servers and streamers, controlled by my mobile devices. Volumio, forget it, way too buggy in too many ways to count. Overall, Roon has saved me so much time that a lifetime subscription felt cheap (and a very small fraction of the total cost of all the audio gear and related digital stuff I use with Roon).

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #23,981 of 153,451
Victor Martell said:

"Yes, sorry I corrected my mistake. $129 a year, folks".

I was just agreeing with your correction. If it really was $129/month it would be fun to see how many signed up.

Ah - right!

Well, if I am allowed to be both a little bit snarky and a little bit tongue-in-cheek, I am sure that if the license was $129 a month in stead of a year, to many audiophiles it will simply sound WAY BETTER! :D

v

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #23,983 of 153,451
Funny you should mention that.

Since the Freya has no HT passthrough :frowning2: , I was just going to suggest (basically) a SYS w/o volume to be used as an a/b switch(possibly with higher end internal switch). I am currently looking at 2 nice options (to switch between my Emotiva PrePro and Freya into my Citation amp), but both are over 1/2 as much as the Freya costs.......

Right!

My only criticism of the Saga is that I believe that the second output should not be volume controlled - I feed one of the outputs of the Saga to a Magni - and is weird to have two functioning volume controls... - then again there are probably many other use cases for all the outputs being volume controlled.

v

Sep 3, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #23,984 of 153,451
Ah - right!

Well, if I am allowed to be both a little bit snarky and a little bit tongue-in-cheek, I am sure that if the license was $129 a month in stead of a year, to many audiophiles it will simply sound WAY BETTER! :D

v

To counter the snarky part....

Roon isn't so much about the sound as it is about the features. Don't get me wrong, the sound is excellent when using my MacBook Pro as the Roon Output. It supports "Exclusive Mode" and "Integer Mode" just like Audirvana Plus does and I don't think A+ sounds any better. It's the feature set that makes Roon so impressive to me and why I purchased the lifetime subscription. As far as I am concerned, it was a bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back