Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #23,956 of 153,406
Re: Roon it didn't work too well with classical music. The online databases for classical are crap and Roon inherits that crappiness. For that reason, Roon is a non-starter for my uses.

Re: Eitr. What is it doing to improve USB? I ask because I wonder if the source is jittery as hell or otherwise deficient can it fix that? Or is it more of a USB noise isolator? What are the limits to how bad a USB signal the Eitr can fix?

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #23,957 of 153,406
Re: Roon it didn't work too well with classical music. The online databases for classical are crap and Roon inherits that crappiness. For that reason, Roon is a non-starter for my uses.

Re: Eitr. What is it doing to improve USB? I ask because I wonder if the source is jittery as hell or otherwise deficient can it fix that? Or is it more of a USB noise isolator? What are the limits to how bad a USB signal the Eitr can fix?

It removes the typical bad USB 5V power, isolates and reclocks the data. I think it would improve any straight USB connection unless your DAC has an exceptional USB input.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #23,958 of 153,406
It removes the typical bad USB 5V power, isolates and reclocks the data. I think it would improve any straight USB connection unless your DAC has an exceptional USB input.

I'm waiting for USB Gen5 until I order Gumby. But I will say that bypassing USB altogether with the by-pass function of my ASUS soundcard is a significant improvement over going from my PC to Bimby Gen2 USB input is a significant improvement in SQ.

Sep 2, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #23,959 of 153,406
Noob question: I'm looking to improve the sound from my TV with a Toslink output with a Schiit DAC. Is my research correct in that the Modi series is my only option? Also, might I notice a difference between the Uber and Multibit models?

TIA.
When we really want to rock out, we connect the toslink from the TV system into the main HP rig.
Usually for watching Joe Bonamassa BluRays.
The rig then becomes: Oppo BDP-3 - GMB - BHA-1 - Wywires Platinum - HD800 x2.
The source changes from the Macbook Pro to the Oppo BDP-3.
The experience is fantastic. The music resolution from the BluRay thru the BDP-3 / GMB is superb.
Of course, you can also connect a speaker rig like this, but we prefer the HD800.
Makes for a fun day & night of sharing great music.

Rock on,
RCB

Here's what it looks like...we had the Wywires Red cables in use at that time.
The Home Rig x2 with Refreshments.JPG

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #23,963 of 153,406
Everyone values things differently. I typically value software low because the company's incremental cost in selling you a license is basically ZERO. It's not like they need to source parts and assemble it like with hardware.

$129 a year for software that is basically for my hobby when plenty of low cost and free alternatives exist? No chance in a deeply frozen hell.

I might pay $129 for a lifetime subscription. I hate monthly or yearly fees and refuse to do them for software.

I agree - JRiver is as capable, recently got it for $49 - sorry $60 for 3 platforms - I don't want to insult Roon and pls don't take it like that, my friends.

Roon seems pretty capable but given that there are alternatives, from Volumio and Rune, to JRiver, Amarra and Audirvana, which cover most (and for me all) of what is needed, seems like a lot.

belgiangenius is right - $129 for the lifetime seems reasonable and I would do it. I think by pricing high,they are sending the message, "hey! this is for audiophiles! so it's expensive" - and that is a whole can of worms to open, isn't it?

I am not looking at the Roon specs, so I leave open the possibility that they are also paying licenses for MQA or other stuff - I am going by memory so I might be wrong.

v

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #23,964 of 153,406
Jason is building a time machine, just so he can gather all the products Schiit will release in the next 10 years and bring them to the present day, in order to keep everybody happy.
haha ! :D

I think we should have a separate thread for Schiit product requests!

I like think that I influenced Schiit to put Saga out! - I wrote several times to suggest a SYS with more inputs - the reply was "we don't comment on future products" but I am sure is that the Schiit guys said "what a great idea! - let's improve on it! - and voila!, Saga"

Or at least that's how I like to think about it! :D

v

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #23,965 of 153,406
If Roon were charging $129 for a lifetime license, I would not be keen to buy in. That's not enough to sustain what they are trying to do. Also, keep in mind that the lifetime license will probably no be offered forever. There has been talk of Roon pulling the plug on that.n The annual subscription model is what they need to keep moving forward.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #23,966 of 153,406

oh - yes!, the Roon classical tags issue - I think they fixed it now and you can set it to use the tags in your file instead, which in my case is way better that the crap out there in the internet (for classical, at least).

But when I tried it, the feature was not there, so it always used the internet crap. What made me uninstall the software and cancel the trial was when a set of Bruckner Symphonies under Daniel Barenmboim showed up under "Latin Music" - This is not Roon's fault - an idiot out there on the internet decided that because Barenboim is Argentine, whatever he does is "Latin Music"! - oh G*D

At that time in Roon, there was no way to go around that so I uninstalled and never looked at it again. That said, again I think they fixed it so now it can use your tags instead.

v

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #23,967 of 153,406
Don't wanna turn this into an argument re: Roon - but I gotta ask...

That's not enough to sustain what they are trying to do.

That I cannot disagree - any business can choose whatever model they want and any consumer can do whatever she/he wants with their money - that is right and there is no arguing and problem with that.

If Roon were charging $129 for a lifetime license, I would not be keen to buy in.

That one, I gotta ask.Do you mean if it was exactly the same but cheaper, you would not buy it? interesting - and curious.

Also, keep in mind that the lifetime license will probably no be offered forever.

[Stupid stuff deleted - for what ever reason I thought the fee was $129 a month, not per year]

v

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #23,968 of 153,406
@$129 per month I don't think they would have many customers. I decided to give them a $129 try. If I keep them I'll buy the lifetime. So far I am pretty impressed with the software and their approach. I don't use all of their features and I concur that there are many alternatives. I have tried many of them (Kodi, Volumio, Rune, Plex, Audirvana, etc) and find all do good things, have quirks, or are missing something. We just are not there yet! Somebody mentioned a free alternative a little while back that I will have to find the name of and try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back