Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #24,076 of 151,659
Sep 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #24,077 of 151,659
As I tested it... yes. it does and the costs are probably equal
I taped them together and used Velcro tape to stick them to the shelf.
WP_20170906_13_11_50_Pro.jpg

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #24,078 of 151,659
When my Yggy arrives I will need to feed its balanced output to two different amplifiers. Is a device like the Emotive XBAL 1x2 a superior solution to a simple good quality Y-splitter XLR cable?

I bought a pair (on Cozzi's recommendation) and they worked fine for me to drive both Ragnarok and Mjolnir 2. The only issue I ran into is they are very light weight and depending on the IC's you use they may not want to sit still wherever you place them unless you put a weight on them, which is what I did. A larger all in one box with a knob (and 2 or 3 way switching ability) would have been nicer, but for the money...

You'll need 2, one for each channel split.

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #24,080 of 151,659
As I tested it... yes. it does and the costs are probably equal

I taped them together and used Velcro tape to stick them to the shelf.

I bought a pair (on Cozzi's recommendation) and they worked fine for me to drive both Ragnarok and Mjolnir 2. The only issue I ran into is they are very light weight and depending on the IC's you use they may not want to sit still wherever you place them unless you put a weight on them, which is what I did. A larger all in one box with a knob (and 2 or 3 way switching ability) would have been nicer, but for the money...

You'll need 2, one for each channel split.

Many thanks, looks like I'll be placing an order for two XBALs then!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #24,081 of 151,659
Vidar listening impression (all 16/44). Becoming acquainted with Schiit audio products is getting to be expensive, even at the bargain prices.

However, my experience heretofore with Schiit has be quite good (Joty balanced), and the prices are quite good, so I decided to try the Vidar. Well, out of the box it was clear that it was quick and powerful, front-row, but (to me) not very musical and not something I wanted to listen to. After 24 hours of burn-in, I still did not want to listen to it. (Fortunately I have other equipment in a different room.) After two days I had some hope. After three days: this thing is a jewel!

If $700 strains you budget and you can find an Adcom 535 II used at a nice price, that would be a good choice. If $700 fits your budget, grab the Vidar!

Just to confirm, you are talking about one Vidar, run SE?

Thanks.

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #24,085 of 151,659
Y split will double the load on output stage of Yggy as the impedence is in parallel is cut in half ,double the current, but I see 0 problem

I use Y splitters with my Gumby; does increasing the load on the output stage have any really observable consequences?

Sep 6, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #24,086 of 151,659
When my Yggy arrives I will need to feed its balanced output to two different amplifiers. Is a device like the Emotive XBAL 1x2 a superior solution to a simple good quality Y-splitter XLR cable?

There is no reason why the Emotive XBAL should be any better than a well made Y-splitter. In fact, the Y-splitter should have a chance at being better as it cuts down on the number of connections made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back