Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #362 of 7,049
Quote:
IMO, Gungnir is in that audiophile 'impulse buy' price range. Lets just say, as much of what you would call an impulse buy for an audiophile, who is most likely extremely calculating and obsessive with their purchases!

biggrin.gif
 x2 ...expensive impulses...

Quote:
OT Warning:

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. 
wink_face.gif

Loevhagen, I think you'll find that with the Gungnir, the Mjolnir can be relaxing, given the right recording of course...

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #363 of 7,049
I'm having a bit of a problem with my Gungnir, you can read about it here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-direct-mode-12261/index36.html

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #364 of 7,049
Quote:
I'm having a bit of a problem with my Gungnir, you can read about it here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-direct-mode-12261/index36.html

Yeah! I get that too.

Not so often, but it does happen (maybe in extended listening sessions, not sure).

The sound gets quite weird with lots of distortion, quite disturbing. lol

So it's only the USB connection then?

Also, I have to add from reading your link (and my experience, definitely) that Schiit's costumer service is quite special. Jason answers so quickly, and doing his best to help. Respect.

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #365 of 7,049
Hey Mackat - I get the same thing through my USB (AQ Cinammon) with files upsampled to 192 or playing native at 192. I use Pure Music. It happens every now and then and yes it is a very disturbing sound. Screechy yet extremely muddled with lots of echo. Could be the computer getting bogged down. It comes and goes and sometimes never occurs. I like the optical or coax input best so it doesn't really matter to me.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #367 of 7,049
Wow! Those are bizarre and disturbing problems. Its the first I am reading of it. I'm glad I didnt order the USB.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #368 of 7,049
Quote:

... same here with a Bifrost connected via USB to a MacMini, but very sporadic: it can happen many times in a day or never in one/two weeks and usually the issue only lasts a few seconds

on Audirvana's forum there's another customer reporting the same issue but he is not using a Schiit dac

I bought the Bifrost without USB card then... found that Mac (minis for sure) optical out doesn't go beyond 24-96 so...*had* to add it afterwards :-/

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #369 of 7,049
Yeah, I'm almost wishing I didn't order it with USB either...I sent Tim Cook an email today asking him to please up the optical to 192...the hardware is quite capable. Hopefully someone on his staff is an audiophile...:D

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #370 of 7,049
I've owned 2 Bifrosts that have exhibited the same screeching usb issue mackat has outlined. The first had other problems that was diagnosed as requiring a board replacement. In the end that unit was replaced by a brand new Bifrost that has worked without the serious sync issues I could no longer tolerate. However, the screeching usb would still randomly occur but come good after a few seconds like it did with the previous Bifrost. The usb issue occurred regardless of software (iTunes/Fidelia/BitPerfect). Changing cables did not isolate the issue and I've had it happen on a number of different MacBooks running different os'. It was sporadic and I could go weeks without it rearing its head. Never had this issue with other dacs (Audio-GD) via usb.

It has happend a few times via usb with my Gungnir as well. I now mainly use toslink so it's not a pressing matter for me, with usb there for versatility. I suspect a driver issue, but it is a concern many others have experienced the same thing (as per mackat's link). If it's deemed a hardware issue with the usb interface I'd want that problem addressed.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #372 of 7,049
Lucky!!! Apparently many people have.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #373 of 7,049
The aforementioned screeching issue have also happened using other DACs - and Audirvana. I put my 2 cents on Audirvana being the root cause here. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #375 of 7,049
I guess it's too late - the damage is done. In about 3 weeks time, the Gungnir will be a screeching urban legend. That's just the way it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back