Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #346 of 7,100
OT Warning:

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

Having switched back and forth between the Soloist and the Mjolnir (using the LCD-3 and DAC V800), the difference in the amplifiers sound signature is significant. I would dare to say that the Soloist is "boring" and the Mjolnir is "engaging". And in addition, the Soloist is de facto tuned a tad more bright than the Mjolnir. That does not mean the Soloist is bright.

The soundstage depth of the Mjolnir is less than the Soloist. The width not that different - if you listen carefully. The "lack" of depth of the Mjolnir tends to impose the impression that the Mjolnir sounds wider...

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. 
wink_face.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #349 of 7,100
My hunt for a PWD2 isn't going well so I might well have the Schiit stack soon.  Promised myself I would wait for the internal shots to be posted but my Audiophilleo trial isn't until the end of time so I have to get on with it.

I see - so thinking about a used PWD2? They might be hard to find - cheap that is. New ones are pricey, by the time you add the 'lenses' etc. You can get into some of the new 'femto' DAC's up around that price (ex. MSB, CAYLX FEMTO DAC). I would probably look at Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC ll if I was in the PWD2 ballpark.

IMO, Gungnir is in that audiophile 'impulse buy' price range. Lets just say, as much of what you would call an impulse buy for an audiophile, who is most likely extremely calculating and obsessive with their purchases!

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #350 of 7,100
+1 - if Gungnir supplies the 'natural' sound the Octave is reported to have, together with the detail and top and bottom extension reported about the Gungnir, this makes Schiit's new dac a winner in my book...

Quote:
I was also considering the Metrum Octave. I went with Schiit due to made in USA and I like the name! I would expect the Metrum to sound very much like the Gungnir according to the reviews. It will be interesting to see a comparison between those.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #351 of 7,100
I expect the Gungnir to show up on the doorstep in a couple of days - and it will be benchmarked towards the Violectric V800 and the NAD M51.

I really "hate" the NAD because it sounds like gold / winner. Crap. I bought the NAD to serve as pre-amplifier to a pair of active Dynaudio Focus 110A. 

Anyway; looking forward to listen to the Gniungenir. :) 

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #352 of 7,100
A detailed comparison to the M51 is one I've been waiting for. Bonus that you'll have the Mjolnir in place as well.

Is your Dynaudio Focus 110A a recent acquisition? They were on top of my list when considering actives but they don't seem to be available in Australia anymore. Can you recommend a source that may ship overseas? Do you have pics to further torment my desire for them? 
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #353 of 7,100
Given Loevhagen's excellent camera skills, your torment will know no bounds olor1n!

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #354 of 7,100
I expect the Gungnir to show up on the doorstep in a couple of days - and it will be benchmarked towards the Violectric V800 and the NAD M51.

I really "hate" the NAD because it sounds like gold / winner. Crap. I bought the NAD to serve as pre-amplifier to a pair of active Dynaudio Focus 110A. 

Wow! That will be interesting! Cant wait to hear what you think!

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #355 of 7,100
Quote:

This is what we've been waiting for! 

LOL!

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #356 of 7,100
Quote:
I see - so thinking about a used PWD2? They might be hard to find - cheap that is. New ones are pricey, by the time you add the 'lenses' etc. You can get into some of the new 'femto' DAC's up around that price (ex. MSB, CAYLX FEMTO DAC). I would probably look at Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC ll if I was in the PWD2 ballpark.

Super easy to find new for $2600, used for $2300 all day.  But I want one for $1900 :D

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #357 of 7,100
Super easy to find new for $2600, used for $2300 all day.  But I want one for $1900 :D

Oh, ok - for under 2 grand. That doesnt sound to bad. I would probably go for that as well. I already have the transport part of that in the Transporter. If I didnt have that then, for sure, the PWD would be a good way to go.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #358 of 7,100
First impressions:
Mjolnir/Gungnir combo is clean, refined, bright, and spacious.  It is a lot of fun to listen to, and it may be better than my previous setup, I'm still deciding.  It has a crapton of detail and seems to have much more noticeable treble.  The built in USB is very good but I'm sensing that my Audiophilleo 1 + BNC sounds a little better.  The previous combo of B22 and RE-7 is very laid back by comparison.  The Mjolnir is broken in but the Gungnir I just now took delivery on, so it could be a while...

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #359 of 7,100
I find usb to be a tad grainy compared to optical. I use a Furutech Formula 2 (usb) and Silflex glass toslink, fwiw. The difference is minuscule, though slight fatigue after extended use is what keeps me from preferring usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back