Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 14, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #377 of 7,100
Quote:
And Jason agrees...

"Jason responded and told me to use Amarra or BitPerfect."

actually when I asked Jason about this, he just told me they do not use/have tested Audirvana, not that A whas the culprit

oh... and Damien (Audirvana's developer) *never* said a single word on this matter :-/

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #378 of 7,100
I've experienced the same issue (upper freq. screeching/unearthly resonance) on my Gungnir. I'm using Mac Pro with Pure Music via USB (AudioQuest cable). It's very infrequent. I'm waiting for it to happen again to verify that it's the Gungnir and not the Mjolnir, but based on this thread, the Gungnir is the likely suspect. Never happened with my previous DAC (DacMagic Plus). If I stop the track and go back to the beginning of the track, it goes away. 

Hope there's a resolution....

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #379 of 7,100
It seems to only  be happening to mac users..

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 14, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #380 of 7,100
... since Audirvana is for OSX only, that's quite obvious. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #381 of 7,100
... but, it seems, not only with Schiit DACs: another user, on Audirvana support forum, is using the M2TECH Hiface EVO

and not only with Audirvana, as others have reported in this thread

the mistery goes on :p

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #382 of 7,100
I have had the same issue using NAD M51 and Audirvana. Almost got a heart attack. 
mad.gif

I converted to TOS-link.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #383 of 7,100
It's really interesting, some people say the screeching happens with other DACs using Audirvana+, some say it happens on the Bifrost/Gungnir using anything, some say it never happens, some say it always happens. I'm going to keep it...if it only recurs once a day of less, it's a manageable glitch, that might eventually be fixed when better USB technology is out and they offer a USB upgrade card.

So I say go buy it guys!!!

P.S. Sorry Jason, I didn't mean to cause any bad reputation for it, just was curious as to others' experiences.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #384 of 7,100
y
So I say go buy it guys!!!
P.S. Sorry Jason, I didn't mean to cause any bad reputation for it, just was curious as to others' experiences.

+3
Oh, absolutely! USB is EVOLVING. SPDIF has been around FOREVER in comparison. Lets not be in a hurry!

Same thing with good audiophile grade class D amps. There are many out there, but few that do it right (you can probably count them on one hand).

Schiit has never claimed to have the best USB tech out there, and even if they did, its probably still going to have some bugs. It was a lot worse say, 5+ years ago, when USB was very young. Us ethernet squeezebox guys were just sitting back and watching the show. We still are. If it aint broken, dont fix it!

Too bad Logitech is ditching the whole thing!

If I were to switch to USB now, I would expect MANY hurdles to cross before I was 'settled' with it. Most likely spending hundreds of dollars in the process.

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #385 of 7,100
Schiit has never claimed to have the best USB tech out there

It would be nice to know a little more about it, like is it XMOS or Tenor-based:

"one of the most advanced asynchronous USB 2.0 input sections available"

edit: nvm, here's more:

"Gungnir’s USB input is one of the most advanced implementations available today, featuring a high-speed USB 2.0 interface (not 1.1) and asynchronous data transfer to 24/192, based on the C-Media CM6631 USB receiver."

I haven't read much about this USB receiver chip, but MHDT's USB Bridge is built around it:

"Since USBridge is in asynchronous operation, additional oscillators are used for USBridge as the more accurate clock sources and to achieve lower digital signal jitter. 49.152MHz is for 48/96/192KHz sample rate data and 45.1584MHz is for 44.1/88.2/176.4KHz data. These oscillators are specially ordered by Mhdt Labs for 10 ppm status."

I wonder if the Shiit version uses these additional oscillators or something else...

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #386 of 7,100
Quote:
I'm going to keep it...if it only recurs once a day of less, it's a manageable glitch

... it actually is a very random glitch (that only lasts a few seconds then goes away by itself) and it may never happen in weeks
(but when it happens... it's very unlikely it is only once :p )

my solution is... use optical for everything but 24-192 files :wink:

and I'm actually much more upset by Apple limiting its optical out, than with Jason or Damien

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #387 of 7,100
All I am saying is that, early on, it appeared to me that Schiit did not set out to dominate the USB interface DAC. I believe what they said initially about USB being the junk food of DAC convenience. Of course these kind of 'kinks' are unacceptable in a finished product. I just dont think you should through the baby out with the bath water.

The squeezebox server, back in the day, was a clunky POS software that was constantly being revised. You were constantly uninstalling and installing new versions. People complained like hell about it - as they should! You learned your workarounds.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #389 of 7,100
I love how a software has errors and all of a sudden its Schiit's fault.  Apple people have problems in iTunes?  No?  Not Schiit's problem :p

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #390 of 7,100
anyone tried USB with camera connection kit / ipad?
Someone on Computer Audiophile, everyone else (including Jason) says it doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back