Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 10, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #5,716 of 7,050
Given cables from equivalent quality manufacturers with equivalent connectors and the same price, how would you choose?

Closest store that stocks the the cable or cheapest shipping price.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #5,717 of 7,050
Are there any CD transports that work with the Gungnir without making it click, mercilessly and repeatedly, directly out of its cabinet? According to Schiit, "If it’s clicking excessively on a CD transport when in pause, the CD transport has a cycling interruption in the datastream. There’s no real fix for this, except getting another CD transport. It won’t hurt the Bifrost or Gungnir, though—the relays are rated for several million cycles."

Alternatively, does Schiit make any DAC's that don't make an awful clicking sound when attached to a CD transport?!? It really ruins the listening experience when you can’t hold your place in a song to take a quick break, without an anxiety-inducing racket emanating from the component itself. At this point I am regretting my Gungnir purchase more than my new Cambridge CXC transport, which is awesome.

I was about to finally have my Gungnir upgraded, instead I'm now considering the heartbreaking fact that it will need to be replaced by something that offers more compatibility with CD transports. Right now I'm using my old Matrix MIni-i with its dual Adcom 1955 DAC chips, and it sounds great. I have no idea if Schiit's upgrade or even a new Yggdrasil would solve the issue unless Schiit gets back to me with a clue. I'm certainly not ordering a Yggdrasil just to pay the $120 plus shipping both ways to return it if it causes the same issue--I'd like some assurance in advance.

The Cambridge CXC seems to be the only CD transport that meets my needs. I like the Woo and even the Little Dot but they don't have a traditional footprint, they both seem a bit wonky, and the Woo is very pricey. All I want is to play my Redbook CDs, nothing fancy and I'm really impressed by the Cambridge. The real bummer is the two components look great together, but unfortunately they don't play as nice as they look.

Schiit.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #5,718 of 7,050
The "awful clicking sound" tells you two things. One, as Schiit describes, that the data stream from your CD player is unstable, and two, that the bit-rate lockin of the DAC is functioning as intended. I use a CD transport to a Yggdrasil that does not send spurious sample rate change data between tracks, a NorthStar 192.

It's not the DAC at fault, it;'s the CD player you are using.

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #5,719 of 7,050
Are there any CD transports that work with the Gungnir without making it click, mercilessly and repeatedly, directly out of its cabinet? According to Schiit, "If it’s clicking excessively on a CD transport when in pause, the CD transport has a cycling interruption in the datastream. There’s no real fix for this, except getting another CD transport. It won’t hurt the Bifrost or Gungnir, though—the relays are rated for several million cycles."

Alternatively, does Schiit make any DAC's that don't make an awful clicking sound when attached to a CD transport?!? It really ruins the listening experience when you can’t hold your place in a song to take a quick break, without an anxiety-inducing racket emanating from the component itself. At this point I am regretting my Gungnir purchase more than my new Cambridge CXC transport, which is awesome.

I was about to finally have my Gungnir upgraded, instead I'm now considering the heartbreaking fact that it will need to be replaced by something that offers more compatibility with CD transports. Right now I'm using my old Matrix MIni-i with its dual Adcom 1955 DAC chips, and it sounds great. So there's probably going to be a D/S model Gungnir for sale soon, as I have no idea if Schiit's upgrade or even a new Yggdrasil would solve the issue unless Schiit gets back to me with a clue. I'm certainly not ordering a Yggdrasil just to pay the $120 plus shipping both ways to return it if it causes the same issue--I'd like some assurance in advance.

The Cambridge CXC seems to be the only CD transport that meets my needs. I like the Woo and even the Little Dot but they don't have a traditional footprint, they both seem a bit wonky, and the Woo is very pricey. All I want is to play my Redbook CDs, nothing fancy and I'm really impressed by the Cambridge. The real bummer is the two components look great together, but unfortunately they don't play as nice as they look.

Schiit.
Yggdrasil doesn't, I understand. My Music Hall cd25.2, discontinued, doesn't engage my multibit Gungnir's relay

Apr 11, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #5,721 of 7,050
The "awful clicking sound" tells you two things. One, as Schiit describes, that the data stream from your CD player is unstable, and two, that the bit-rate lockin of the DAC is functioning as intended. I use a CD transport to a Yggdrasil that does not send spurious sample rate change data between tracks, a NorthStar 192.

It's not the DAC at fault, it;'s the CD player you are using.
I'm sure Cambridge Audio has a different opinion. If this is functioning as intended, I need a different DAC. It's not only between tracks, it's whenever it's paused during a song as well.

According to Juan_R's post below, the Yggdrasil does not share this defect in design; have you tried your transport with a Gungnir or Bifrost?

The post below is also supported by the fact that Schiit leaves the Yggdrasil out, when it addresses this 'non-issue' in their troubleshooting section. It sounds like my "at fault" CD player would work just fine with it, theoretically. It's just not worth $200 for me to find out otherwise. The same troubleshooting section does confirm that the Bifrost shares this affliction.

Yggdrasil doesn't, I understand. My Music Hall cd25.2, discontinued, doesn't engage my multibit Gungnir's relay
That looks like a great player, with a pretty decent DAC of its own. I saw a demo for sale for $800, just don't want to put my money into a DAC I'll never use; that's why I bought a transport!

Even so, because of the jam I now find myself in I would still consider buying the cd25.2 if the Cambridge was returnable, but it's too late :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #5,722 of 7,050
I use the Remedy Reclocker between my CXC transport and Gungnir - problem solved, SQ improved!
Thank you, I'll probably end up ordering one. Can't wait to see what it sounds like! It just adds $400 to the Gungnir upgrade(!), then soon I'll be DONE* and can start listening in peace again.

edit: Discontinued by W4s. I thought I found a used one through Hifi Shark, but it was just the power supply. The search goes on...

Has anybody tried the IFI SPDIF iPurifier in this or a similar application? Searching threads now, as it's available.

Haha are any of us ever done...

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #5,725 of 7,050
Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #5,727 of 7,050
Thank you, I'll probably end up ordering one. Can't wait to see what it sounds like! It just adds $400 to the Gungnir upgrade(!), then soon I'll be DONE* and can start listening in peace again.

edit: Discontinued by W4s. I thought I found a used one through Hifi Shark, but it was just the power supply. The search goes on...

Has anybody tried the IFI SPDIF iPurifier in this or a similar application? Searching threads now, as it's available.

Haha are any of us ever done...

Note: You'll never be done :wink:

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #5,728 of 7,050
Those are great PSU’s, seems like a good deal!
Pulled the trigger, should have the set next week. Can't wait to be click free, hopefully the SQ improvement will be obvious to me as well.

Note: You'll never be done :wink:
Agreed, I was just hoping to finally officially (temporarily?) graduate to tweaks, like cable upgrades and power conditioners.
I mean I really thought I was getting there, this transport was supposed to be the last piece of the puzzle dammit!
Before I start the cycle all over again, if I live long enough...
I'm still getting there, this was just a slight detour on the road to perceived component completion.
My old Gumby still screams for Schiit's upgrades, this just delayed it a bit.

Speaking of the Gungnir... I had an interesting time playing connection master for a bit. I realized that I had some untried options, one obvious and one that just worked out. Also a nice surprise.

In fact I was 'worried' that I would be able to get rid of the click without the W4S unit, after I had considered these options but before trying them. The obvious alternate solution was a 1m glass toslink cable I had lying around. If the cable can make a difference, this is among the best of optical which seems different even if it's not; it's all spdif right? Unfortunately no dice, clickity clack with the glass in place.

My next option came to mind because I had been substituting my old Matrix DAC for the Gungnir for testing purposes, and I realized that it had a BNC input and a RCA coax out. So I put the Gungnir back into its place in my system, but with the Mini-i acting hopefully to enhance spdif timekeeping with the transport. Or something lol. Same as the optical cable, this exercise ultimately made no difference either.

The nice surprise was I had been a bit frustrated with the computer aspect of my listening, as I still have the Gen1 USB and I wanted to use toslink from my Mac laptops. Unfortunately my newish Air and my really old Powerbook (still runs PureMusic over iTunes) don't have toslink outputs in them; the former was too late and the latter too early. My old MBP would've been great, but it's dead and buried.

But I had been using an old Halide Designs/Devilsound USB>Spdif Converter cable with the Matrix and an old Mac Mini, and that plays wonderfully with the Macbook Air. Like really, really nice through my old D/S Gumby. I don't have Amarra installed yet, but the cable with Gumby is EQ'd so nice that I'm in no hurry to hunt down my user code.

In conclusion I have to state the obvious, that the Mini-i, as nice as it is for what it is, can't hold a candle to Gumby. Clean and smooth, but obviously not in the same league. It was nice to go down memory lane for a song or two, but that's about it. After an album I was back to Gumby and the clicking CD transport. And then back to the vinyl, for now. The show marches on...

I can't wait to try this new schiit out with my existing schiit next week, right before I tear all the schiit down again so I can move it next door. Then I'll set this shiit up right.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #5,729 of 7,050
Hey all! I just scored a Gumby, and I am super excited to be joining the club. :o2smile: I will be pairing it , with a Liquid Platinum balanced and Lyr 3 single ended. I am really pumped, to see what both these amps (my babies :wink:), can really do with a TOTL dac. Everything I have read, says that I am in for one heck of an experience. I love a big, wide and deep sound, and know the Gumby is gonna perform. I will report back, after it has been running, for a few days.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #5,730 of 7,050
Hey all! I just scored a Gumby, and I am super excited to be joining the club. :o2smile: I will be pairing it , with a Liquid Platinum balanced and Lyr 3 single ended. I am really pumped, to see what both these amps (my babies :wink:), can really do with a TOTL dac. Everything I have read, says that I am in for one heck of an experience. I love a big, wide and deep sound, and know the Gumby is gonna perform. I will report back, after it has been running, for a few days.

Congrats ! ... is this a new one ? I've been satisfied with mine for over two years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back