Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 7, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,701 of 7,100
The reclocker thing has me curious. Any other ones out there besides the Remedy, Mutec and Empire Audio?

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #5,702 of 7,100
The Allo Digione Signature has worked flawlessly for me, no complaints and sounds fantastic! I’ve only tried Spotify premium, but via the native software, Volumio, I don’t have the option to manipulate resolution. It doesn’t matter, however, as the Remedy Reclocker converts everything into 96 khz and a 24 bit rate, I believe (a great match with the Allo). I primarily listen toweb radio feeds - Paradise Radio provides the option of streaming flac.

Yes, it integrates flawlessly with the Gungnir, the Allo does. I have to say, though, that after adding the Remedy into the mix, I don’t think I could live without it. The Mutec is said to be a better Master Reclocker, but, doesn’t affect bit rate and is considerably more money:

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

Some people even daisy chain Reclockers with said noticeable improvement - it’s definitely worth having one, adds a three dimensional, smooth & holographic presentation, in my system, with more body. Sorry, I know I’ve gone off on a tangent.

And, again, I’m blown away by the quality of the Oyaide digital cables - these are popular in Germany, which is telling, in and of itself (check the features page):

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/digital_cable/pg532.html

Thanks @Dr.J by your response.

It is a clever solution and good selection of components. I have never thought in using a Reclocker like you are doing. Just for my understanding, are you using Mutec MC-3 BNC in and out?

I am using Volumio and Tidal (integrated in the MyVolumio). After testing, it sounded better than Spotify.

The Volumio supports Tidal Masters, but up to 48K/24bit. The DAC should perform the second MQA step that it is not the Gumby case. However, I expect that in the future the MyVolumio could be modified to perform this MQA decoding also. This feature was provided to the iOS and Android platforms lately.

This solution has been equal to listen a CD through an Oppo 95 as a transport. In case we feed the Digione Signature with a 192K/24 bit music file the experience is fantastic :)

The Gumby/Digione Signature solution is making me abandon the physical media.

QJA

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #5,703 of 7,100
Hi there.

Love the suggestions on the Digione Signature - I've ordered one as it fits my needs perfectly.

Interesting discussion regarding the reclocker. Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that a reclocker excels when using a CD transport, as they are more susceptible to jitter, and that digital transports have less of an issue here? What would the benefits be to a digital transport?

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #5,704 of 7,100
Hi, QJA,

no, I’m not using the Mutec, I’m using the Remedy Reclocker (which outputs everything at 24 bit, 96khz); it accepts only an RCA input, but provides a BNC output - so, RCA from either Allo Digione, or Cambridge CXC and BNC from Remedy Reclocker to Gungnir.

And, yes, I’m in the same boat, listen either to my Sansui tuner, or digital and very seldom to my R2R and/or my TT; I’m very impressed with my current digital setup - I’m sure there’s room for improvement and something to look forward to, but, am content.

MVN1, I’ve found the Reclocker improves both the streamer and digital transport to a very similar extent, has the same effect! You’ll love the Digione Signature!

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #5,705 of 7,100
For this application, I needed something a little more physically attractive than BJC or Transparent offer. Public space requires a little bling.

Seriously?

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #5,706 of 7,100
I was under the impression that Gumby already has re-clocking built into its design. The following quotes are from the Schiit Audio website:

"Adapticlock™: Unique Clock Analysis and Regeneration
Both versions of Gungnir include our proprietary Adapticlock system, which provides for both exceptional jitter performance and rock-solid, glitch-free connectivity. Adapticlock analyzes the incoming signal quality and automatically routes it to the best clock regeneration system—either VCXO or VCO-based. And, it does all of this without altering the bit depth or sample rate of your original music.

Gen 5 USB: USB, Solved
Forget decrapifiers, regenerators, isolators, and all the USB dongles and boxes you’ve been told you need for USB sound. Our all-new Gen 5 USB input doesn’t require any of that stuff. It’s this simple: Gen 5 is USB, solved. Now standard on all our upgradable DACs, Gen 5 USB features full galvanic isolation via transformers, self-power for low noise and latching, and high-quality local clocking for both 44.1 and 48k multiples."

Apr 9, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #5,707 of 7,100
Seriously?
This is an aesthetic driven hobby. Such aesthetic concerns should be approached holistically.

I mean, do you want to be staring at an unattractive (to you) thing while you are listening to beautiful (to you) music?

What I think is bling-y you may think is barf-y. I'm ok with that, don't be all judge-y.

As an aside, I find i very hard to listen with my eyes closed. Anyone else have that problem?

Apr 9, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #5,708 of 7,100
This is an aesthetic driven hobby. Such aesthetic concerns should be approached holistically.

I mean, do you want to be staring at an unattractive (to you) thing while you are listening to beautiful (to you) music?

What I think is bling-y you may think is barf-y. I'm ok with that, don't be all judge-y.

As an aside, I find i very hard to listen with my eyes closed. Anyone else have that problem?
Listening with my eyes closed, sometimes sounds better, and sometimes not. I usually do about half my listening with eyes open and the other half with eyes closed. It also sounds better, when I tilt my head back.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #5,710 of 7,100
It also sounds better, when I tilt my head back.
With headphones?

I noticed this with speakers but I cannot fathom what would cause such a thing with headphones. Unless maybe they settle better?

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #5,711 of 7,100
With headphones?

I noticed this with speakers but I cannot fathom what would cause such a thing with headphones. Unless maybe they settle better?
Yes. I think it opens my ears up a bit more, and as a result get better soundstage.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5,712 of 7,100

I'm not being judgy. I was honestly asking if you were being serious or if you were being facetious. I've never heard of someone choosing a cable by its appearance so I was a bit puzzled by your response. Thanks for clarifying.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #5,713 of 7,100
I've never heard of someone choosing a cable by its appearance so I was a bit puzzled by your response.
Given cables from equivalent quality manufacturers with equivalent connectors and the same price, how would you choose?

I mean, like audiophiles the world over, we could claim to have bought them all and auditioned them and then picked the one that had the best sound. More often it's a case of "gimme a damn cable already."

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #5,714 of 7,100
Yes. I think it opens my ears up a bit more, and as a result get better soundstage.
If I shut my eyes? Zzzzzzzzz
My wife freaks on me when she sees me sleeping for hours under the headphones. The thing that bothers me? She doesn’t wake me up.
I wish I could listen at all times with
My eyes closed because it does sound better

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #5,715 of 7,100
If I shut my eyes? Zzzzzzzzz
My wife freaks on me when she sees me sleeping for hours under the headphones. The thing that bothers me? She doesn’t wake me up.
I wish I could listen at all times with
My eyes closed because it does sound better

Haha that sounds familiar. Sit down at 21:00 for a quick half an hour listen before bed... Wake up at 23:00 in my chair. DOH! Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have anyone to wake me up lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back