Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #5,672 of 7,049
Been thinking about getting an Eitr for my rig and I just placed the order for it. I had been considering the idea of just getting the USB 5 upgrade done, especially since I bought my Gungnir used. But I just don't want to be without my Gungnir and I figure I could always use the Eitr with another DAC; should I decide to upgrade to a new Gumby or Yggy after USB 6 drops.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #5,673 of 7,049
Been thinking about getting an Eitr for my rig and I just placed the order for it. I had been considering the idea of just getting the USB 5 upgrade done, especially since I bought my Gungnir used. But I just don't want to be without my Gungnir and I figure I could always use the Eitr with another DAC; should I decide to upgrade to a new Gumby or Yggy after USB 6 drops.

In my opinion the other inputs are way better than USB. USB sounds kind of muffled by comparison but then again I didnt use a really high end cable. I believe coaxial is still the best source as long as its rated properly. Optical revealed some high level detail in the treble and clarity and I still feel like theres a veil until I use a high end coaxial cable like the river series by AQ, etc

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #5,674 of 7,049
I ordered a Monoprice Coaxial cable a few weeks ago, to have on hand, and I also just ordered one from Ghent Audio as well. This two will be good enough for now. The Monoprice one was cheap but is 3 ft, so it is a bit longer than I should need. I don't like having excessively long cables with lots of slack, so I got the Ghent cable in a shorter length.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #5,675 of 7,049
In my opinion the other inputs are way better than USB. USB sounds kind of muffled by comparison but then again I didnt use a really high end cable. I believe coaxial is still the best source as long as its rated properly. Optical revealed some high level detail in the treble and clarity and I still feel like theres a veil until I use a high end coaxial cable like the river series by AQ, etc

Not in my experience. Gen5 USB blows away the optical SQ (in my Gumby).
Believe me, I was using AQ diamond optical until Gen5, but now I'm on USB and not going back!

A valid question is whether to wait for Mike's USB Gen6, which I've heard from reliable sources is exceptional ... beats Gen5.
It depends on if you want to wait, and how long - good time to start asking Mike/Jason for launch date now that Aegir is commercial.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #5,677 of 7,049

Please post your experience with the Gen5 USB (via Eitr) to educate this thread. Thanks.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #5,678 of 7,049
Not in my experience. Gen5 USB blows away the optical SQ (in my Gumby).
Believe me, I was using AQ diamond optical until Gen5, but now I'm on USB and not going back!

A valid question is whether to wait for Mike's USB Gen6, which I've heard from reliable sources is exceptional ... beats Gen5.
It depends on if you want to wait, and how long - good time to start asking Mike/Jason for launch date now that Aegir is commercial.

Happy Listening!
RCB

Can you elaborate? What would you say were the upgrades you got from going from optical to USB? What USB cable are you using? I hear less digital glare with my Starlight Optical cable. It just sounds smoother without losing detail.

Apr 3, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #5,679 of 7,049
Can you elaborate? What would you say were the upgrades you got from going from optical to USB? What USB cable are you using? I hear less digital glare with my Starlight Optical cable. It just sounds smoother without losing detail.

Sure. I was using USB Gen2 that sounded OK but I had issues with reliability - music drops (source Macbook Pro direct to Gumby).
So I went to optical. Got a very stable performance. Even went to the AQ diamond optical cable at $500 trying to get the best SQ.

Then, I was able to experience the Gen5 USB, and I switched back to USB.
No more instability issues ... rock solid.

To me, the SQ is much better with Gen5 USB than even my uber-optical cable (which I do not recommend, BTW).
The Gen5 sound is more detailed and transparent, whereas the optical sounds veiled in comparison.

YMMV, thx for asking.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #5,680 of 7,049
My favorite connection on my Gumby is the BNC. But try finding something that outputs that! I'm trying a Coax->BNC adapter to see how I like it.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #5,681 of 7,049
Sure. I was using USB Gen2 that sounded OK but I had issues with reliability - music drops (source Macbook Pro direct to Gumby).
So I went to optical. Got a very stable performance. Even went to the AQ diamond optical cable at $500 trying to get the best SQ.

Then, I was able to experience the Gen5 USB, and I switched back to USB.
No more instability issues ... rock solid.

To me, the SQ is much better with Gen5 USB than even my uber-optical cable (which I do not recommend, BTW).
The Gen5 sound is more detailed and transparent, whereas the optical sounds veiled in comparison.

YMMV, thx for asking.

What USB cable are you using now? Im curious to try it again if its as you describe but I was using a cheap Belkin cable so it sounded muddy.

My favorite connection on my Gumby is the BNC. But try finding something that outputs that! I'm trying a Coax->BNC adapter to see how I like it.

I think adding more parts to the signal chain would degrade quality although some people get USB to coaxial/BNC transports like I believe the Hydra X. Coaxial and BNC are virtually the same with different connectors. Just harder to find on spec coaxial cables.

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #5,682 of 7,049
I think adding more parts to the signal chain would degrade quality although some people get USB to coaxial/BNC transports like I believe the Hydra X. Coaxial and BNC are virtually the same with different connectors. Just harder to find on spec coaxial cables.
I'm hoping not for 2 reasons.
(a) My BNC cable is really high quality. And... attractive :)
(b) the BNC connector is really better than RCA. As I've said before, I wish the world had settled on BNC instead of RCA lo those many years ago.

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #5,683 of 7,049
From what I’ve read, I’ve gathered that the optical in reference is toslink, not coaxial. Which also makes a lot of sense, as it’s known to be noisy

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #5,684 of 7,049
From what I’ve read, I’ve gathered that the optical in reference is toslink, not coaxial. Which also makes a lot of sense, as it’s known to be noisy

I haven't run into this issue with it being noisy but most Optical on a consumer level is Toslink and not Coaxial. I'd be willing to try the USB input again if someone can recommend a good cable. Right now I'm looking at other options like a Nordost Purple Flare for my Node 2 Transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back