Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #5,686 of 7,002
What USB cable are you using now? Im curious to try it again if its as you describe but I was using a cheap Belkin cable so it sounded muddy.

When I went to Gen5 USB, I decided to buy a cable of comparative quality to the AQ Diamond toslink.
My trusted friend Alex at Wywires provided a Wywires Platinum USB cable, 4-ft in length. Similar price to the AQ Diamond.
I believe in upgrading cables. My rig is now all Wywires Platinum cables: USB, interconnects, and HP. Solid quality.

I think way back when (before Gen5), Mike had listed digital connections in order of SQ:
High to low: AES, BNC, RCA, toslink, USB.
Gen5 has moved USB significantly up the list.

I too tried to get BNC input, from the Mac, using a Singxer F-1 (USB2 to RCA/BNC).
It worked OK but another box in the signal path. USB Gen5 solved all that.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #5,687 of 7,002
I too tried to get BNC input, from the Mac, using a Singxer F-1 (USB2 to RCA/BNC).

I just remembered how I ended up getting BNC.
I have a BDP-1 (Bryston) and it has AES/BNC. Gumby has Coax/Toslink/BNC. Venn diagram and poof! BNC

In my current setup the BDP-1's AES goes into my preamp (which also does crossover duties) and then Coax to the Gumby.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #5,688 of 7,002
I just remembered how I ended up getting BNC.
I have a BDP-1 (Bryston) and it has AES/BNC. Gumby has Coax/Toslink/BNC. Venn diagram and poof! BNC

In my current setup the BDP-1's AES goes into my preamp (which also does crossover duties) and then Coax to the Gumby.

LOL ... Venn diagram --> great application of logical thought process!

Bryston makes very nice gear ... I've been drooling over the BDP-3 for awhile.
I have their headphone amp and love it :)

Apr 6, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #5,689 of 7,002
LOL ... Venn diagram --> great application of logical thought process!

Bryston makes very nice gear ... I've been drooling over the BDP-3 for awhile.
I have their headphone amp and love it :)
The BDPs are all very nice. I went from a SotM SMS-200 (great unit but USB) to the BDP-1 and the BDP is just really nice. Huge, in comparison, but I really like have the front panel transport controls.

Except for power, I keep hitting that by accident since it's right next to Play. I start to understand the thought processes of one @Jason Stoddard with putting power buttons on the back.

Apr 6, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #5,690 of 7,002
I'm hoping not for 2 reasons.
(a) My BNC cable is really high quality. And... attractive :)
(b) the BNC connector is really better than RCA. As I've said before, I wish the world had settled on BNC instead of RCA lo those many years ago.
No detrimental effects so far.

Swapped it in and enjoying Money for Nothing a little louder than usual :wink:

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #5,691 of 7,002
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #5,693 of 7,002
Nope no issues. I got my Gumby feeding my speaker amp from the SE1 and my headphone amp from SE2.
I had issues when I was feeding two different tube amps single ended with them both turned on, and both amps would only output sound on one channel. When I unplugged one of them, then the other one would start outputting sound on both channels.

Why is this the case?

I have fed a solid-state blanced input, and another single-ended no issues. Only time I've had issues was when I've used both single-ended outputs to two different amps, and in particular tube amps.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #5,694 of 7,002
In my opinion the BNC is the best Gumby input.

Yep, and Mike agreed as well ... back before the Gen5 USB came along.
I'm using a Mac as music server which allows multi-tasking, but only USB or Toslink direct connections to the Gumby.

That Blue Jeans RCA/BNC cable is what I used between the Singxer and Gumby ... it worked fine, decent quality for the price.

Apr 7, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #5,695 of 7,002
In my opinion the BNC is the best Gumby input. Currently I am using a Black Cat Veloce connected to an Allo Digione Signature player (BNC outuput) with good results.

Black Cat has a newer version: https://www.blackcatcable.com/colle.../products/silverstar-75-spdif-cable-universal

QJA
That Black Cat webpage shows essentially what I got, an RCA adapter for BNC->RCA. My cable is a Straight Wire S-Link Digital. Needed a BNC cable and liked how that one looked and Straight Wire has a good rep.

The Black Cat is also very attractive but I can't bring myself to supporting anything feline :wink:

I am actually swapping out a Transparent digital RCA cable for the Straight Wire. Man, that Transparent thing is stiff.

For this application, I needed something a little more physically attractive than BJC or Transparent offer. Public space requires a little bling.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #5,696 of 7,002
My sources are an Allo Digital-One Signature streamer and Cambridge CXC transport. I’m now also using a Remedy Reclocker, which inputs RCA, outputs BNC. MY BNC cable is Nordost Silver Shadow - this cable gets excellent reviews and a seller in Quebec discounts them for $199 cnd:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...-nordost-silver-shadow-1-meter-digital-cable/

The RCA cable I use is an Oyaide digital cable; had I known about this before purchasing the Nordost, I would have purchased the BNC version of this cable, also, because of its superb construction, solid silver conductor and cf shielding - check these out, are reasonably priced and unsurpassed, qualitatively!

BNC, with the Gungnir, is the way to go!

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #5,697 of 7,002
My sources are an Allo Digital-One Signature streamer and Cambridge CXC transport. I’m now also using a Remedy Reclocker, which inputs RCA, outputs BNC. MY BNC cable is Nordost Silver Shadow - this cable gets excellent reviews and a seller in Quebec discounts them for $199 cnd:

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...-nordost-silver-shadow-1-meter-digital-cable/

The RCA cable I use is an Oyaide digital cable; had I known about this before purchasing the Nordost, I would have purchased the BNC version of this cable, also, because of its superb construction, solid silver conductor and cf shielding - check these out, are reasonably priced and unsurpassed, qualitatively!

Do you notice any thinness with the Silver Shadow? I was looking at that as an option because my Node uses RCA for its coaxial. I know silver has less resistance thus more detail but if the geometry is weird it starts to sound sibilant.

Apr 7, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #5,698 of 7,002
Hikaru12, no, I can’t say that the sound is sibilant or thin, but, rather, in my system the sound is transparent and holographic, full bodied and completely captivating/engaging - I have no complaints.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,699 of 7,002
My sources are an Allo Digital-One Signature streamer and Cambridge CXC transport.

What has been your experience with the Allo Digione Signature? Are you streamming (Tidal, Qobuz, ...) or using a NAS type of solution?

Here the experience is very good and the integration with Gumby is flawessly.

QJA

Apr 7, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #5,700 of 7,002
The Allo Digione Signature has worked flawlessly for me, no complaints and sounds fantastic! I’ve only tried Spotify premium, but via the native software, Volumio, I don’t have the option to manipulate resolution. It doesn’t matter, however, as the Remedy Reclocker converts everything into 96 khz and a 24 bit rate, I believe (a great match with the Allo). I primarily listen toweb radio feeds - Paradise Radio provides the option of streaming flac.

Yes, it integrates flawlessly with the Gungnir, the Allo does. I have to say, though, that after adding the Remedy into the mix, I don’t think I could live without it. The Mutec is said to be a better Master Reclocker, but, doesn’t affect bit rate and is considerably more money:

https://www.mutec-net.com/product_mc-3-plus-usb.php

Some people even daisy chain Reclockers with said noticeable improvement - it’s definitely worth having one, adds a three dimensional, smooth & holographic presentation, in my system, with more body. Sorry, I know I’ve gone off on a tangent.

And, again, I’m blown away by the quality of the Oyaide digital cables - these are popular in Germany, which is telling, in and of itself (check the features page):

http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/AUDIO/products_category/digital_cable/pg532.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back