Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 7, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,546 of 7,049
Yeah, I would imagine so, I find it hard to believe such a small units designed for portable use could beat something designed for best performance without regards of portability.

I would also like to upgrade the LC at one point, however all my HPs are all easy to drive, so upgrading the DAC's first would make sense I think, Violectric V281/280 or maybe it's future upgrades come to mind.

My main headphone right now is The Focal Utopia, with Sony MDR-Z1R and also Meze 99 Classic for portable duty, but I might try it out with the Gumby when I get it.
I listen to Metal and Rock mainly.

The Hugo 2 is talked a lot right now, I wonder how this compares to the Gumby, I do want to get a Desktop DAC and get a DAP for portable duty, the Hugo 2 is too big to carry around anyway.

Only heard the the Hugo 2 at a meet. It was pretty impressive - but meet conditions aren't ideal, aside from the ton of noise there is also fatigue and the Adrenalin of playing with new toys. My guess though is that a Hugo 2 would replace both your Mojo and your LC. If I get the time to audition it again in quiet it may replace my Bimby/MJ2 and my Mojo as it is transportable. Very interested in hearing other impressions of the Hugo 2 DAC section vs the Gumby.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,547 of 7,049
Only heard the the Hugo 2 at a meet. It was pretty impressive - but meet conditions aren't ideal, aside from the ton of noise there is also fatigue and the Adrenalin of playing with new toys. My guess though is that a Hugo 2 would replace both your Mojo and your LC. If I get the time to audition it again in quiet it may replace my Bimby/MJ2 and my Mojo as it is transportable. Very interested in hearing other impressions of the Hugo 2 DAC section vs the Gumby.

Unfortunately the Hugo can't drive full-size Headphones properly. You'd still need your Liquid Carbon.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #4,548 of 7,049
I bought a Gumby awhile back ... added USB Gen 5 to it. I've had it at work feeding an MJ2. I took the Bimby home to plug into my Mainline. I just reversed the situation ... the Gumby is plugged into the Mainline again. All I can really say is the Gumby is so much more than the Bimby, and it deserves an amp so much more transparent than the Mjolnir 2. The Bimby striped the Mainline of it's beauty, and listening Gumby warmed up and plugged into the Mainline I feel like the MJ2 stripped the Gumby of it beauty. The MJ2 and Gumby may be the same form factor, but they are no of the same class.

I've a Yggy on it's way... Bifrost will be finding a new home... probably the MJ2 will as well... anybody got a suggestion of something that mixes better with the Gumby than the MJ2. I've run it with the LSST and with Telefunken EC88CC/6922. Don't expect anything at the level of the Mainline, just something that isn't as shallow as Paris Hiltons personality.
I'm running the Gumby w/ Gen5 and the Bryston BHA-1 amp. Great SQ, IMO.
The Bryston is SS, I'm not a tube guy, but it's got a smooth/warm sound for a SS amp. And plenty of power.
Oh, and BTW, I have zero grainy sound with this rig. I went back to USB connection (from Mac), with the Gen5, the SQ is better than with my AQ diamond toslink.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #4,549 of 7,049
So I switched to USB. Windows 10 automatically installed drivers. Is it better to just use that or the drivers Schiit provides on website? I tried installing the Schiit ones and it keeps saying device not found.

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #4,550 of 7,049
With Windows 10 latest updates Windows now FINALLY supports USB Class 2 audio which should automatically work with any USB DAC. Just use the Windows drivers.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,553 of 7,049
Just bought a Gumby brand new with gen 5 USB! Very excited as I've been eyeing it for 4 months or so!

I've been eyeing one for 10 months (when my Audiolab M-dac died) and been listening with HD800 plugged in directly to PC motherboard :smile:. I hope I can buy Gumby/MJ2 combo in Nov/Dec. Should be "quite" an upgrade :dt880smile:

How do you like your Gumby?

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #4,556 of 7,049
I've been eyeing one for 10 months (when my Audiolab M-dac died) and been listening with HD800 plugged in directly to PC motherboard :smile:. I hope I can buy Gumby/MJ2 combo in Nov/Dec. Should be "quite" an upgrade :dt880smile:

How do you like your Gumby?
I love my Gumby. I already had the Gungnir then as soon as the MB upgrade was launched, I went for it.
Really opened up the sound of the HD800.
And, I've heard many good comments about the GMB/MJ2 pairing...perhaps @MattTCG can chime in here!

Enjoy Your Music!
RCB

Oct 31, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #4,557 of 7,049
I love my Gumby. I already had the Gungnir then as soon as the MB upgrade was launched, I went for it.
And, I've heard many good comments about the GMB/MJ2 pairing...perhaps @MattTCG can chime in here!

When I searched gumby info on forums I saw where people compared DS Gungnir to M-dac and said that Gungnir was better. So Gumby seems great price/performance DAC.

I already purchased IFI NOS 6922 tubes for MJ2. Easy to get and not so expensive. MJ2 should be very versatile and future proof also. I also use SDR mod with HD800.

Oct 31, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4,558 of 7,049
After 8 months of GMB/MJ2 ownership I have no regrets whatsoever. With the new Gen5 Usb input GMB is pretty unbeatable at its price IMO (altho I use mine with an EITR). On the MJ2, I spent a little time with a few different tubes, incl LISST, but have settled on the 5670 family (adapters req'd). A pair of GE5670 5* for €48 and I'm set.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,559 of 7,049
I have had my GMB/MJ2 set for about a year now and I love it, Gumby has the benefit that it really sounds great with speakers as well so I have it running two amps. The Mjolnir 2 has the power to run pretty much any headphone you want and you can tweak the sound with tubes if you want.

What isn't to love! :beerchug:

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,560 of 7,049

Enjoy Your Music!
RCB

I also have an MJ2 and purchased some NOS WE396A tubes for my MJ2 about 6 months ago.

I'm really, really excited to get this DAC and put it through its paces! I'm coming from a Gustard X20 which was no slouch (dual ESS9018 SABRE implementation).

Connecting it up with a Curious USB cable - should be an outstanding combo! I'll report back after the DAC has had 100+ hours to break-in. What do other Gumby owners recommend for break-in time, especially if you have USB Gen 5 (in case it's different in this way from Gen 2)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back