Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #2,551 of 7,049
Sent my Gungnir in for the multibit upgrade and received it the other day.

Definitely an awesome improvement. It's really hard to describe exactly how it sounds different, but things do sound more musical and more enjoyable.

My Uptone REGEN also came in yesterday. The GMB sounds fantastic with or without it, but it sounds better with it.

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #2,552 of 7,049
  Sent my Gungnir in for the multibit upgrade and received it the other day.

Definitely an awesome improvement. It's really hard to describe exactly how it sounds different, but things do sound more musical and more enjoyable.

My Uptone REGEN also came in yesterday. The GMB sounds fantastic with or without it, but it sounds better with it.

Yeah ,the 500 buck upgrade was the best audio upgrade Ive ever done. 

1,250 for the multibit Gungnir is a freakin steal imho. 

I have listened to a ton of dacs and this is the best dac under 2K .Period

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,554 of 7,049
  Anyone opened up a GMB yet? I feel like maybe the hint about RMAF might be USB Gen 3 module in the GMB and Bifrosts....

What's so exciting about USB 3 from a sound quality point of view?

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #2,555 of 7,049
  What's so exciting about USB 3 from a sound quality point of view?

Not entirely sure since I have not read any comparisons between the other versions since it does not exist in anything besides the Yggy

Sep 26, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #2,556 of 7,049
  Not entirely sure since I have not read any comparisons between the other versions since it does not exist in anything besides the Yggy

The Yggy does not have USB 3. The Yggy has Gen 3 (3rd upgrade) of Schiit's USB 2.0 module.

From the Yggy manual: "3 USB Input. This is a USB digital input. Connect to your computer source with a short (2m or less), USB 2.0-rated cable."

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #2,557 of 7,049
Are you all leaving your GuMBy on all the time? I haven't yet heard if that for sure improves it like it does with the Yggy. 

Sep 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,558 of 7,049
Yep, I've heard 48 hours is all it takes for the Gumby to be warmed up. I've left mine on, but will be turning it off/on in a couple of weeks. Just on vacation in the UK right now, so I can give impressions when I return.

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #2,559 of 7,049
I never turn mine off but I don't actually believe any of this burn in or warm-up mythology.  Circuits almost always fail with the start-up surge so leaving it on is a good idea anyway.  In my research lab the only instruments we ever turned off were those with things like Deuterium lamps which had a finite lifetime, but even these we wouldn't turn off unless we were done with it for the day.  Almost all electronics are better off being left on.  All of this said we also had instruments which required a warm-up because there were thermal effects and they needed time to come to equilibrium. I have not spent 10 sec trying to listen to Gumby cold versus hot.  Don't care, never will.

Sep 27, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #2,560 of 7,049
I never turn mine off but I don't actually believe any of this burn in or warm-up mythology.  Circuits almost always fail with the start-up surge so leaving it on is a good idea anyway.  In my research lab the only instruments we ever turned off were those with things like Deuterium lamps which had a finite lifetime, but even these we wouldn't turn off unless we were done with it for the day.  Almost all electronics are better off being left on.  All of this said we also had instruments which required a warm-up because there were thermal effects and they needed time to come to equilibrium. I have not spent 10 sec trying to listen to Gumby cold versus hot.  Don't care, never will.

20 watts all the time though.

I guess I'll leave in on unless I'm pretty sure I won't use it for like a day.

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #2,561 of 7,049
Does anyone use the GMB with SE/RCA output to an integrated amp/preamp? 

Sep 27, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #2,563 of 7,049
  Does anyone use the GMB with SE/RCA output to an integrated amp/preamp? 

I have my Gumby hooked up to a Project Ember as a preamp, then to my Spec 2 power amp.  Sounds fantastic!

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #2,564 of 7,049

Users who are viewing this thread

Back