Schiit Gungnir DAC
Aug 21, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #2,026 of 7,049

I'll be honest, I don't have the ability to call out the frequency response by ear.  Can you suggest a song that's got a noticeable peak in that area and I can listen to see?

Fool - Perfume Genius
(7/10 Pain Level)
(0:37 where he says "titter and coo", the titter is very painful for me)

The Killing Moon - Echo And The Bunnymen (This song is not well recorded, but this is the most blatant example)
(10/10 Pain Level. By 10 I mean I can't make it through a quarter of the song.)
(Any "s" and "t" sound in the entire song is unbearable)

Get Lucky - Daft Punk
(4/10 Pain Level)
(Yeah this one is probably surprising, but any "s" sound is sibilant, however not that painful, but still noticeable)

From the Start - Koven
(9/10 Pain Level)
(1:32 the word "see". This continues on, this track feels not so well recorded/mastered but not as poor as Echo And The Bunnymen)

Tried to include some variations, well recorded, not well recorded etc.

The only DAC I've used so far to eliminate any treble issues is the Ayre QB-9 DSD. So I hold out hope the DAC19/Gungnir Multibit/Ayre Codex can save me. I hear this sibilance on every headphone I've tried except the Sennheiser HD 650. Not a fan of its sound signature sadly, otherwise I'd be using that forever.

I appreciate the help sir!

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #2,027 of 7,049

Fool - Perfume Genius

The Killing Moon - Echo And The Bunnymen (This song is not well recorded, but this is the most blatant example)

Get Lucky - Daft Punk
(Yeah this one is probably surprising, but any "s" sound is sibilant, however not that painful, but still noticeable)

From the Start - Koven
(1:32 the word "see". This continues on, this track feels not so well recorded/mastered but not as poor as Echo And The Bunnymen)

The only DAC I've used so far to eliminate any treble issues is the Ayre QB-9 DSD. So I hold out hope the DAC19/Gungnir Multibit/Ayre Codex can save me. I hear this sibilance on every headphone I've tried except the Sennheiser HD 650. Not a fan of its sound signature sadly, otherwise I'd be using that forever.

Okay yep, I got it now.  I don't have a particular sensitivity to that range so I can't say how bad it is compared to anything but the two DAC's I have hooked up currently (the GMB and DAC-19).  Neither seems particularly bad to my ears, but the DAC-19 is definitely a bit less peaky on those than the GMB.

EDIT - HA!  Just noticed that the album name on that Perfume Genius song is "Too Bright".  :-D

Aug 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,029 of 7,049

Fool - Perfume Genius
(7/10 Pain Level)

(10/10 Pain Level. By 10 I mean I can't make it through a quarter of the song.)

Get Lucky - Daft Punk
(4/10 Pain Level)

From the Start - Koven
(9/10 Pain Level)

Im not a fan of the HD650 sound signature too but I bought a replacement cable that improved the situation a lot.  

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #2,030 of 7,049

Wow, I disagree completely (EDIT - about the warm-up).  I thought it sounded thin and bright without warm-up and the sound improved noticeably after the recommended warm-up time.  Even 4-5 hours in, it still wasn't as good sounding as it is now that it's been on for over a day.

Initial impressions are an impressively low noise floor and more upper treble/air than any of my Burr Brown R2R DACs (Audio-GD DAC-19, Theta Basic II, Adcom GDA-600).  I'll be doing more A/B in the coming days.

I heard a just powered-up Yggy with the same KGSSHV/SR009, and that cold Yggy sounded thin and bright.  I expected the GMB to sound the same when cold, and was surprised it was warm.  Actually, a little too warm and could use more treble.  I thought Schiit erroneously sent me the old Gungnir
tongue.gif
 I immediately checked the box, and it says "GUMB" and the unit has a little sticker indicating it is a multibit.  I will listen more over the weekend and see what changes.

Prior to this, I have been listening to a TEAC UD-301, and prior to the TEAC, I have been listening to a Meridian G08 for 10+ years (currently out for repair).

I am looking forward to other members' impressions to compare notes.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #2,031 of 7,049
I heard a just powered-up Yggy with the same KGSSHV/SR009, and that cold Yggy sounded thin and bright.  I expected the GMB to sound the same when cold, and was surprised it was warm.  Actually, a little too warm and could use more treble.  I thought Schiit erroneously sent me the old Gungnir :p  I immediately checked the box, and it says "GUMB" and the unit has a little sticker indicating it is a multibit.  I will listen more over the weekend and see what changes.

Prior to this, I have been listening to a TEAC UD-301, and prior to the TEAC, I have been listening to a Meridian G08 for 10+ years (currently out for repair).

I am looking forward to other members' impressions to compare notes.

According to many here , the delta sigma Gungnir was without question warmer sounding than the Yggy . My problem with this Gungnir was a minor lack of treble resolution .

I have sent my unit back for the multibit upgrade .

I will let you know how it sounds when I get it back compared to the delta sigma Gungnir .

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #2,032 of 7,049
Hmmmm, I don't know about leaving the GMB on 24x7. I'm trying to be green. Can I just keep it wrapped up in a blanket so it doesn't get cold? I suppose I could also give it a sip of my scotch too. That usually gets me warmed up pretty quickly. Better yet, I think I can train my cat to sleep on top of the GMB and I can tell you that my cat puts out some serious heat!

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2,033 of 7,049
Hmmmm, I don't know about leaving the GMB on 24x7. I'm trying to be green. Can I just keep it wrapped up in a blanket so it doesn't get cold? I suppose I could also give it a sip of my scotch too. That usually gets me warmed up pretty quickly. Better yet, I think I can train my cat to sleep on top of the GMB and I can tell you that my cat puts out some serious heat!

+1 Lol My cat loves to sleep on my hot Ragnarock, so it should be easy to get your cat to sleep on your GMB.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #2,035 of 7,049

Dan Clark says he warms up his Yggy by putting it on top of the Rag.  lol

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #2,036 of 7,049
I just go my GMB has arrived. I will compare the Gungnir Multibit to the Yggdrasil, after I burn/ warm up the GMB, for 12 hours.

I have the GMB hooked up to the Ragnarock, and my mac is hooked up to the GMB. I have the HE1K'S hooked up to the Rag, listening to Dave Brubeck. I will let the GMB warm up.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #2,038 of 7,049
I just go my GMB has arrived. I will compare the Gungnir Multibit to the Yggdrasil, after I burn/ warm up the GMB, for 12 hours.

This is exciting!

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #2,039 of 7,049

Pictures of the GMB being warmed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back