Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 10, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #1,876 of 7,161
wish the pyst xlr and rca cables from schiit were just a bit longer. Stacking the Gungnir and Ragnarok was a bit challenging with shelving so I had to stack them on top of each other.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #1,877 of 7,161
wish the pyst xlr and rca cables from schiit were just a bit longer. Stacking the Gungnir and Ragnarok was a bit challenging with shelving so I had to stack them on top of each other.

Yes I wish the pyst XLR cable was longer. I will most likely by some longer XLR cables from mediabridge or from blue Jean cable company. How does your Gungnir sound with the Ragnarok?. I hope you have a good one jamming out.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,878 of 7,161

Just buy some Monoprice XLR interconnects. 3 foot and 5 foot are both going for $20 for 2 at amazon. I think the Pyst cables are more for the smaller stacks of Schiit.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #1,879 of 7,161
Just buy some Monoprice XLR interconnects. 3 foot and 5 foot are both going for $20 for 2 at amazon. I think the Pyst cables are more for the smaller stacks of Schiit.

+1 What he said.

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,880 of 7,161
Just got my Gungnir w/ gen 2 USB working with a Raspberry Pi running shairport-sync. AirPlay streaming for about $50 in parts and a few hours of work. I'm thrilled with this -- quite a bargain compared to low-jitter streamers.

My plan is to use this to bypass the AirPort streamer built-in to my Marantz, outputting to both the Marantz and a headphone amp -- avoiding the A-to-D-to-A in the Marantz.

May 8, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,881 of 7,161
Can someone recommend a good Amplifier to go with the Gungnir? I was using the HDVA600 and the sound was WAY too bright for my taste. I'm selling the HDVA but want to keep the gungir if I can find a good match. Headphones will be the TH900. I also have the HD800 but they hurt my ears on this setup...thus the reason I want to try a different pairing.

Thanks!

May 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,882 of 7,161
I'm using the Asgard 2 with the Gungnir, don't let the low price fool you into thinking it's not worthy. If you're looking for something with tubes and a ton of power you may want to try the Lyr 2. The original Lyr was the only amp I've ever used that truly brought my AKG K701's to life. I still have the Lyr, but I use the Asgard 2 every day, works great with IEM's on Low Gain and can drive most planar's when switched to High Gain. Great amp, very little money.

May 8, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #1,883 of 7,161
In my experience testing out diff configurations with my friend's DACs and amps, it might likely be Gungnir that is a bit too energetic/bright. At least out of my stack, the Mjolnir is not the one at fault here for being a bit on the bright side.

Perhaps then you're looking for a slightly warmer amp to mitigate some of the sharpness of the Gungnir?

May 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,884 of 7,161
  In my experience testing out diff configurations with my friend's DACs and amps, it might likely be Gungnir that is a bit too energetic/bright. At least out of my stack, the Mjolnir is not the one at fault here for being a bit on the bright side.

Perhaps then you're looking for a slightly warmer amp to mitigate some of the sharpness of the Gungnir?

Correct

May 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,885 of 7,161
Personally, I borrowed my friend's HD800 for a good 2-3 weeks and found the superb with the M/G stack. Another option I suspect would be various tube amps simply cause tube rolling would allow you to tune and find your desired sound.

May 8, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #1,886 of 7,161
I believe that Jason Stoddard has stated that the Valhalla 2 works well with the HD800's and though it doesn't have the classic tube sound I'm willing to bet that the Valhalla 2 would give you the added warmth you seak. The Lyr is a hybrid yet it still gives me more warmth (and power/punch/dynamics) than "most" solid state amps.

Don't forget that the version 2 of the Asgard, Valhalla and Lyr all offer high and low gain (great for using IEM's) and preamp outputs. That may not sound like a big deal, but I've found the Asgard 2 makes for a sweet sounding preamp in a full-size home stereo system. You can use also use any of these amps to drive powered speakers directly. 

Gotta say that I've never found the Gungnir to sound bright. Obviously were all using different components and speakers/headphones but as the source to either my Magnepan 1.7's or one of my stand mount speakers, the B&W CDM-1NT's or 805N's (both use the Nautilus tweeter) I've never had any issues with the tonal balance of the Gungnir. 

Adding tubes may be the best way to go in your situation. Good luck, I hope you find an amp that gives you what you're looking for. 

May 9, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,887 of 7,161
  I believe that Jason Stoddard has stated that the Valhalla 2 works well with the HD800's and though it doesn't have the classic tube sound I'm willing to bet that the Valhalla 2 would give you the added warmth you seak. The Lyr is a hybrid yet it still gives me more warmth (and power/punch/dynamics) than "most" solid state amps.

Don't forget that the version 2 of the Asgard, Valhalla and Lyr all offer high and low gain (great for using IEM's) and preamp outputs. That may not sound like a big deal, but I've found the Asgard 2 makes for a sweet sounding preamp in a full-size home stereo system. You can use also use any of these amps to drive powered speakers directly. 

Gotta say that I've never found the Gungnir to sound bright. Obviously were all using different components and speakers/headphones but as the source to either my Magnepan 1.7's or one of my stand mount speakers, the B&W CDM-1NT's or 805N's (both use the Nautilus tweeter) I've never had any issues with the tonal balance of the Gungnir. 

Adding tubes may be the best way to go in your situation. Good luck, I hope you find an amp that gives you what you're looking for. 

Thanks for that, you're the second person to tell me the Gungnir isn't a bright DAC. I think the issue just has to do with the combination and the Senns being picky. Will probably go with a WA6 SE and call it a day!

May 9, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #1,888 of 7,161
Everybody's ears and hearing are different.  When people hear something is bright, it sounds bright to them.  That doesn't mean it will sound bright to everyone. It's quite possible that the majority don't hear it as bright.

I have often wondered after reading all the reviews on the forum if there are bigger differences between our ears than there is between audio gear. People on the forum acknowledge this when they say they prefer a particular reviewer's preferences so they listen to them.  I'd suggest you find a reviewer whose reviews seem to match your reactions to the same gear.

May 9, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #1,889 of 7,161
  Gotta say that I've never found the Gungnir to sound bright. 

Because it isn't.  The Gungnir is bordering on dark.  Great match to an HD800 not so much for LCD.  Remembering of course that bright means a tonal balance shifted towards treble and not related to aggression or attack.

May 9, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,890 of 7,161

Gotta say that I've never found the Gungnir to sound bright. 

Because it isn't.  The Gungnir is bordering on dark.  Great match to an HD800 not so much for LCD.  Remembering of course that bright means a tonal balance shifted towards treble and not related to aggression or attack.

Interesting. I am using a mjolnir/gungir stack with LCD-X's and Moon balanced silver dragons (dual 3 pin XLR termination) and I am amazed at some of the results. For example, when I listen to Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" I literally feel like I'm there. I can close my eyes and feel the club atmosphere. I've not had an opportunity to listen to this combo with HD 800's so I can't comment on that. I've read other posts suggesting the Audeze headphones pair well with this combination and I obviously agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back