Schiit Gungnir DAC
Apr 7, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #1,861 of 7,213
Would the Gungnir work well with the Bryston BHA-1? I plan on using the BHA-1 and Gungnir (or whichever DAC I choose) with my LCD-2.2 and likely several future headphones.

I have no experience with that well-regarded amp, but I would imagine the pairing would work well. Perhaps equally important is the headphone youre pairing it with and your sonic preferences.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #1,862 of 7,213
My best friend has the Bryston BHA-1 and we've used it in his system and mine (with the Gungnir) and they work very well together. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #1,864 of 7,213

Sounds like you need a Mjolnir to go head to head with his Bryston.

Well, I prefer the Mjolnir but he was asking about the Gungnir DAC with the Bryston headphone amp.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,865 of 7,213

Quote:

Well, I prefer the Mjolnir but he was asking about the Gungnir DAC with the Bryston headphone amp.

Out of curiosity, what headphones have you used to compare the BHA-1 and Mjolnir, and what about the Mjolnir do you like more? I'm still deciding between the Mjolnir and BHA-1, but the majority of comments seem to suggest preference for the BHA-1.

Also, I just ordered the Gungnir a few seconds ago. Should be a nice upgrade to my Modi.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #1,866 of 7,213
  I'm still deciding between the Mjolnir and BHA-1, but the majority of comments seem to suggest preference for the BHA-1.

Not what I've read but to each their own.  What I have read, only owned the Mjolnir, is that they are similar in tone and performance but the Mjolnir costs a lot less and can be snagged used pretty much any day.  Design wise it's important to remember that the Bryston is not balanced in to out, where the Schiit is even from a single ended input.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #1,867 of 7,213
Bryston BDA-1Quote:

Out of curiosity, what headphones have you used to compare the BHA-1 and Mjolnir, and what about the Mjolnir do you like more? I'm still deciding between the Mjolnir and BHA-1, but the majority of comments seem to suggest preference for the BHA-1.

Also, I just ordered the Gungnir a few seconds ago. Should be a nice upgrade to my Modi.

I've only listened to the two amps for a short period of time with the LCD-2's and HE-500's and truly not long enough to make a fair decision between the two.

I meant to type "I'd probably prefer" (my screw-up) based on what I heard, part of that is also because the rest of my source gear being from Schiit Audio...which truly isn't a great reason. I did replace a Bryston BDA-1 with a Gungnir Gen2 USB, I preferred the Gungnir in a system with a Parasound A21 driving Maggie 1.7's. 

I'm sure that the BHA-1 is a great amp (Bryston makes quality gear) and I seriously doubt that you can go wrong with it or the Mjolnir. I apologize for my typo, I shouldn't try and chime in while working on something else at the same time. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,869 of 7,213
  Did you get a delivery estimate? Their site has said they have been clearing backorders for months.

I did not get a specific estimate. However the message does say "STATUS: In production. Clearing backorders. Orders placed now are expected to ship in 5-7 business days." And the built-in shipping tool said around 5-7 business days for my location. If it still hasn't shipped after 7 business days, I'll probably ask for a refund.

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #1,870 of 7,213

I did not get a specific estimate. However the message does say "STATUS: In production. Clearing backorders. Orders placed now are expected to ship in 5-7 business days." And the built-in shipping tool said around 5-7 business days for my location. If it still hasn't shipped after 7 business days, I'll probably ask for a refund.

Thanks for the update.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #1,873 of 7,213
Probably a dumb question:

I also bought the Bryston BHA-1 amp, which has balanced inputs and outputs. I know nothing of cabling or amps/DACs in general. I've already purchased a cable for my headphones to the amp.

What balanced XLR cable would you guys recommend for connecting the Gungnir to it? Doesn't have to be very long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back