Schiit Gungnir DAC
May 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #1,891 of 7,213
 Remembering of course that bright means a tonal balance shifted towards treble and not related to aggression or attack.

YES!!!

This jumped out at me because I've tried to explain it (frequently without success) to people many times.

May 9, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,892 of 7,213
Interesting. I am using a mjolnir/gungir stack with LCD-X's and Moon balanced silver dragons (dual 3 pin XLR termination) and I am amazed at some of the results. 

The two really balance each other out.  Where the Gung is dark, the Mjol is bright... together neutral.  If you are running balanced headphones the combo is near impossible to beat $ for $.

May 9, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #1,893 of 7,213
Interesting. I am using a mjolnir/gungir stack with LCD-X's and Moon balanced silver dragons (dual 3 pin XLR termination) and I am amazed at some of the results. 

The two really balance each other out.  Where the Gung is dark, the Mjol is bright... together neutral.  If you are running balanced headphones the combo is near impossible to beat $ for $.

You've got that right!!! Nothing else I've tried is as good as this combination.

May 10, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #1,894 of 7,213

I don't know if Im crazy or not but I feel like using these cables from the XLR output even though they go to RCA on my Valhalla seems to have taken away some of the harshness to a lot of rock music that I would normally have stayed away from.  Will have to do a comparison later and see if its just placebo effect.  Either way, love these cables so far so Im sticking with them.  Great length for this setup and surprisingly flexible compared to the RCA's I was running previously.   Very well made.

How's the XLR -> RCA cable been working out for you.  So far so good for me.   My problem now is I want to get a balanced SS amp to complement my WA5, and I'm not sure how I am going to use one XLR output to feed two amps.  Any ideas?

May 10, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,895 of 7,213
Y cable splitter or if the balanced amp has a pass through then you can connect it to the DAC and then continue on to the other amp.

May 10, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,896 of 7,213
My tube amp isn't balanced, if I split it like that would it defeat the balanced capability going into the balanced SS amp?  Maybe it doesn't really matter, beside power I haven't really heard any difference at all between SE and balanced amp.

May 14, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,897 of 7,213
New Gungnir owner here,

Any word on USB Gen 3 availability and rumors of DAC upgrades as well?

May 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #1,899 of 7,213
Schiit has to be wishing they did not put that page in the manual.  I'll parrot what Moffat already said since... it's always been true of any audiophile product whether it be a dac or amp.  If you want the best out of your whatever... leave it on.  This is not a new revelation and I believe Pass has a white paper on it somewhere.  That said, it doesn't take days to warm up a conductive material with a constant heat source.  Overnight is more than enough.

May 14, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #1,900 of 7,213
I leave ALL my gear on all the time, the DAC, preamp, headphone amp and stereo amp. The subwoofer powers down on its own after 15-20 minutes or so. The Gungnir doesn't require much juice so I would just leave it on all the time. No worries. 

May 15, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,901 of 7,213
So I wouldn't see a jump in my electric bill leaving it on like if I started using say, a window AC unit? 

I split rent/utilities with a couple other people so I don't want to cause any problems there.

May 15, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #1,902 of 7,213
Or you could not worry and just enjoy the music: it sounds bloody amazing from power on. I turn mine off if I'm not going to listen for more than an hour.

I have a power monitor ... I'll check it on the weekend for its power draw and post the results.

Jon

May 15, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #1,903 of 7,213
  So I wouldn't see a jump in my electric bill leaving it on like if I started using say, a window AC unit? 

I split rent/utilities with a couple other people so I don't want to cause any problems there.

It's pennies a day to keep your entire audio system and pc running 24/7.  If it makes you feel bad throw them a $5 bill every couple of months :wink:

May 15, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #1,904 of 7,213

If I remember correctly, the Gungnir only consumes 20 watts...I doubt you'd notice a difference on your light bill if you left a 20 watt light bulb on so you should be fine. Good luck man, enjoy your music! 

May 15, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #1,905 of 7,213

If I remember correctly, the Gungnir only consumes 20 watts...I doubt you'd notice a difference on your light bill if you left a 20 watt light bulb on so you should be fine. Good luck man, enjoy your music! 

I was going to ask how warm should the chassis get on a Gungnir, but at 20 watts, that answers my question. It should be normal to be pretty warm but not uncomfortably hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back