Schiit Gungnir DAC
Mar 25, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #1,846 of 7,213

Difference between SE and balanced outs does exist, but is not huge and varies by amplifier. Some amps like true balanced inputs more than others. So lots of variables. I hear more fine microdetail and imaging is more precise.

The comparison with M51 by others is accurate. M51 has more finesse with the softer sounds. Gungnir tends to drop or render the softer sounders louder. Gungnir stage is also more compact. I found these much alleviated by Wyrd. Also I do not like Gungnir HD800 combination, but that could be that I don't really care for HD800 any in combination. Gungnir slams hard with strong attacks. In combination with the HD800's 6k peak, not a good thing. Too aggressive - sort of glare and hard sound. I like the Gungnir for its vocal rendering and smooth non-grainy high-end. The M51's high-end is grainier, but is rendered with a silky quality which isn't too bothersome unlike many other delta-sigma DACs. The Gungir is a little behind in terms of resolving capability compared to other DACs in its price range.

Gungnir should be left on at all times. The sound is less aggressive - warmer/more laid-back if left on for a long period of time.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the NAD M51 cost over twice as much as the Gungnir? Please do enlighten us as to which bitperfect balanced DAC is available for under $1000 with more resolving capability. It would be nice to know if I can have the next upgrade in sight. :bigsmile_face:

The NAD M51 was the same price bracket as the Gungnir when I upgraded a few years ago. The M51 is now available below $1k in Australia making it a cheaper option than the Schiit dac.

So while your post implies the amazing value of the Gungnir in light of NAD's pricing in the US, the inverse is true in Australia given the M51's pricing and the markup on other dacs in this market.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #1,847 of 7,213
The NAD M51 was the same price bracket as the Gungnir when I upgraded a few years ago. The M51 is now available below $1k in Australia making it a cheaper option than the Schiit dac.

So while your post implies the amazing value of the Gungnir in light of NAD's pricing in the US, the inverse is true in Australia given the M51's pricing and the markup on other dacs in this market.

Wow, that is news to me.  I think in terms of technicalities and features, the M51 has the upper hand... That makes the M51 an extremely good budget performer in AUS.

While I say this, I'm contemplating selling my HD800 (again!)  I built another Crack this past weekend, the last one being in 2012.  Upon listening to it with the HD650 and the Gungnir as the DAC, I can say that with all of the poorly recorded music I listen to that I mostly enjoy this setup over my main, which consists of the M51 -> ZD -> HD800.  The Gungnir certainly gives the HD650 the energy that it needs, and the BHC just builds upon that for a superb pairing.  I've come to the conclusion that my relationship with the HD800 is a love/hate relationship. 

I still won't be selling the M51 though, as that serves its purpose far better than the Gungnir for a speaker setup 
gs1000.gif

Mar 25, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,848 of 7,213

Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't the NAD M51 cost over twice as much as the Gungnir? Please do enlighten us as to which bitperfect balanced DAC is available for under $1000 with more resolving capability. It would be nice to know if I can have the next upgrade in sight.
bigsmile_face.gif

If under $1000, I would be stumped., X-Sabre at $1099 (which I consider same price braket) is definitely more resolving than Gungnir, but also a different almost opposite sound. For some reason, I thought NAD M51 was within playing field of Gungnir at $1500. I guess it's still $2000 in the USA.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,849 of 7,213

If under $1000, I would be stumped., X-Sabre at $1099 (which I consider same price braket) is definitely more resolving than Gungnir, but also a different almost opposite sound. For some reason, I thought NAD M51 was within playing field of Gungnir at $1500. I guess it's still $2000 in the USA.

Do you mean M51 is not more resolving than Gungnir? I've just been considering buying this DAC used (as an upgrade replacing my Bifrost).
Or should I better look for another DAC within $1000 price range?

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,850 of 7,213
Yea sadly in Canada the NAD M51 is way more costly. Otherwise I would have easily considered it as an upgrade back then. Just right now for double the asking price of Gungnir it's hard for me to even consider in the same league.

Mar 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,851 of 7,213
  Do you mean M51 is not more resolving than Gungnir? I've just been considering buying this DAC used (as an upgrade replacing my Bifrost).
Or should I better look for another DAC within $1000 price range?

I mean M51 is more resolving, in the same playing field in terms of price if $1500 - but I guess that's not true in Canada/USA. I had been hoping NAD would price it well at $1500 here.

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,852 of 7,213

The M51 is US$ 2,000 new in the US.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Jj89cMRamgw/p_745M51/NAD-Masters-Series-M51-Silver.html

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #1,853 of 7,213
Just received my Wyrd in the last days, and tested it yesterday with the Macbook Pro and Gungnir.  No issues with the Gung dropping out like in the past with USB feed.  Seems that Nick at Schiit was right - the USB signal from the Mac wasn't strong enough to consistently run the DAC.  Now I'm a happy camper.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,854 of 7,213
  Just received my Wyrd in the last days, and tested it yesterday with the Macbook Pro and Gungnir.  No issues with the Gung dropping out like in the past with USB feed.  Seems that Nick at Schiit was right - the USB signal from the Mac wasn't strong enough to consistently run the DAC.  Now I'm a happy camper.

Nick knows his Schiit. LOL

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,855 of 7,213

I've been noticing that Apple USB 3.0 XHCI drivers have troubles enumerating the USB device sometimes, a hub between the computer and DAC seems to fix the issue.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,856 of 7,213

I've been noticing that Apple USB 3.0 XHCI drivers have troubles enumerating the USB device sometimes, a hub between the computer and DAC seems to fix the issue.

Yeah, I was very surprised my Mac with the 3.0 USB's would not provide a consistent feed into the Gungnir 2.0 USB.

I sent back two Audio Quest USB cables as being defective, Nick advised that it's not clearly-stated on the AQ web site that the cables are fully USB 2.0 compliant.  Now, I regret that decision.  I don't believe it was the cables' fault.  Just an interesting learning experience...

Enjoy your music!!
RCBinTN

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #1,858 of 7,213

In my book you're better off spending that extra money on music and buying Monoprice, Amazon Basic, or Belkin Gold USB 2.0 cables.

Don't disagree, but the DAC drops were bothering me.  It even dropped with the PYST cable that Schiit claims is USB 2.0 capable.  One thing's for sure - I will not be purchasing expensive USB cables going forward...

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,859 of 7,213

Don't disagree, but the DAC drops were bothering me.  It even dropped with the PYST cable that Schiit claims is USB 2.0 capable.  One thing's for sure - I will not be purchasing expensive USB cables going forward...

Definitely understandable, I find intermittent functionality far more frustrating than complete non-functionality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back