Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 30, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #6,692 of 7,050
Nice!
Thanks I appreciate it.
I’m not trying to be harsh, or make anyone feel bad.
Just pointing out the obvious.
I get opinions, and matters of taste.
The Unison board is simply a smart choice if you really enjoy how your Gungnir sounds… no matter what flavor A1 A2.
You could easily spend the same amount in a USB cable.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #6,693 of 7,050
I've owned a few Schiit DACs. Bifrost Uber, Modi Multibit, Modius, Gungnir delta sigma with USB1, later USB2, upgraded to A1 Multibit, and most recently Unison. In my opinion, I feel that a robust power supply also contributes to sound quality.

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #6,694 of 7,050
I've been having this strange issue recently and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I am getting a sort of static electricity build-up happening in the left channel. I have tried swapping out headphones, swapping my amp, and swapping my pre-amp and no matter what I always end up feeling that static electricity build up.

It seems like it could be dangerous as it can actually leave me with a headache on the left part of my brain. I would try swapping my dac but I currently only have the Gungnir to perform that function. Could this have something to do with some piece inside the Gungir being damage?

I tended to leave the Gungir on most the time so it was always warmed up and ready to go when I wanted to listen to music. I don't know if this may have caused additional wear and tear that could lead to something breaking.

My chain is USB Gen 5 Gungnir -> balanced to RCA to Schiit Saga -> FirstWatt F5 -> Hifiman He-6

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #6,695 of 7,050
I've been having this strange issue recently and was wondering if anyone has experienced this before. I am getting a sort of static electricity build-up happening in the left channel. I have tried swapping out headphones, swapping my amp, and swapping my pre-amp and no matter what I always end up feeling that static electricity build up.

It seems like it could be dangerous as it can actually leave me with a headache on the left part of my brain. I would try swapping my dac but I currently only have the Gungnir to perform that function. Could this have something to do with some piece inside the Gungir being damage?

I tended to leave the Gungir on most the time so it was always warmed up and ready to go when I wanted to listen to music. I don't know if this may have caused additional wear and tear that could lead to something breaking.

My chain is USB Gen 5 Gungnir -> balanced to RCA to Schiit Saga -> FirstWatt F5 -> Hifiman He-6
Hard to say-but something is amiss.
The static sound is something failing/ground issue/solder joint/connection.
I would try a different source first-get the Gungnir out of the chain.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #6,696 of 7,050

Have you verified that your grounding system is good?

JC

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #6,697 of 7,050

That’s a shame. Worth reaching out to Schiit for support and/or your local official reseller/distributor.

Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #6,699 of 7,050
Hard to say-but something is amiss.
The static sound is something failing/ground issue/solder joint/connection.
I would try a different source first-get the Gungnir out of the chain.
its almost more a feeling than a sound, like I can feel the electricity in the air between my left ear and the driver, and like I can feel a little bit of a tingling sensation as well building up. Yes that was my thought as well I suppose I could look for a cheap USB DAC on Amazon for testing purposes

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #6,700 of 7,050
Have you verified that your grounding system is good?

JC
I have had a staticy sound before that was noticeably affecting the noise floor in my system in the past but this is a bit of a different issue than that. I managed to get rid of that problem by switching around where some of my equipment was plugged in to avoid a ground loop.

That was a while ago though and I have since had to reroute some power cables again, but like I said just now it's not so much a static sound in the background issue, but more of a build up of actual electricity. Almost like there is some sort of extra electricity being sent in the signal to the left driver of my headphones that builds up to the point that I can perceive it.

Nov 1, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #6,701 of 7,050
KEY EDIT:

Well... I don't like either/or scenarios.

Some Gumby A1 owners think the Gen 5 to Unison does increase definition and clarity - but also seems overly warm (not necessarily bad). Others agree the BNC is the best input.

NOTE: BNC IS S/PDIF as I was informed. Never used BNC before. It looks like a COAX - oops....

That makes me think about the USB-C to BNC cables/adapters available. The impedance/speed of data has to be examined for mismatches. But it's reversable and I don't have to get a stand-in DAC, nor spend as much cash earmarked for my next can (D8000 in the lead).

The motto of the wonderful computer language Perl is TIMTOWTDI. "There is more than one way to do it". My motto too.

Funny that there are USB-C to BNC cables...

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #6,702 of 7,050
Well... I don't like either/or scenarios.
Yeah, sometimes how it goes though.

Some Gumby A1 owners think the Gen 5 to Unison does increase definition and clarity - but also seems overly warm (not necessarily bad). Others agree the BNC is the best input.
If an increase in clarity and definition is accompanied by more warmth I don’t think I’ll be unhappy with that. My A1 is going to go from Gen2 or Gen3 to Unison so assuming a reasonable change could be perceptible.

I’ve read that plenty of folks prefer BNC though it’s not an input I’ve used.

That makes me think about the USB-C to BNC cables/adapters available. The impedance/speed of data has to be examined for mismatches.
Very interesting, thx for mentioning- I did not know such adapters existed. I use an iPhone as my source device feeding Gumby so I assumed (awful I know!) that USB is required.

But it's reversable
A big plus, I agree.

I don't have to get a stand-in DAC
Also a good point, though Gumby should be with Schiit U.K. by 1300hrs tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have it back by Friday all things being equal. Not too long to wait without a “spare” dac.
my next can (D8000 in the lead).
Nice- I’d love to try D8000. Out of my budget for the time being. Will hopefully experience it one day.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #6,703 of 7,050
Yeah, sometimes how it goes though.

If an increase in clarity and definition is accompanied by more warmth I don’t think I’ll be unhappy with that. My A1 is going to go from Gen2 or Gen3 to Unison so assuming a reasonable change could be perceptible.

I’ve read that plenty of folks prefer BNC though it’s not an input I’ve used.

Very interesting, thx for mentioning- I did not know such adapters existed. I use an iPhone as my source device feeding Gumby so I assumed (awful I know!) that USB is required.

A big plus, I agree.

Also a good point, though Gumby should be with Schiit U.K. by 1300hrs tomorrow and hopefully I’ll have it back by Friday all things being equal. Not too long to wait without a “spare” dac.

Nice- I’d love to try D8000. Out of my budget for the time being. Will hopefully experience it one day.

If you want to save some cash you can ask Schiit to send you a G5 module to install yourself. Either module is great for A1 Gungnir.

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #6,704 of 7,050
If you want to save some cash you can ask Schiit to send you a G5 module to install yourself. Either module is great for A1 Gungnir.
Thx though I’ve already enquired.

Due to exchange rates and shipping costs the G5 wouldn’t provide the same value vs Unison -if- it’s still available from USA.

G5 isn’t in stock at Schiit U.K.

I will say though that Schiit U.K. have been great to deal with.

I’ve already committed to Unison so will see how it turns out

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #6,705 of 7,050
Gen5 is a step up from the earlier board I had for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back