Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 25, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #6,676 of 7,058
Are you comparing BF/64 at all here?

Oct 15, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #6,678 of 7,058
I once owned a gungnir MB gen5 from 2017. I believe it was the A2 board. I kinda miss it quite a lot now and consider getting another one to pair with the new FV. Is the current Gungnir actually the same version just a newer USB input?

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #6,679 of 7,058
I once owned a gungnir MB gen5 from 2017. I believe it was the A2 board. I kinda miss it quite a lot now and consider getting another one to pair with the new FV. Is the current Gungnir actually the same version just a newer USB input?
Yes and no. As far as I know current Gungnir being sold now is the same analog section with Unison USB, but due to parts shortages it is missing the VXCO reclocker and has to make do with only VCO. It has serial numbers starting with L. That said, I use that Gungnir with my Folkvangr and it sounds fantastic.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #6,681 of 7,058
I see. Looks like no significant upgrade in 5 years. Any rumor that a new upgrade or sidegrade version is coming soon?
Except for Unison USB I guess not. It still sounds fantastic though, and if you want one with the Analog Devices chips I suspect now is the time. I absolutely do not regret buying one in 2022 at all.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #6,682 of 7,058
I see. Looks like no significant upgrade in 5 years. Any rumor that a new upgrade or sidegrade version is coming soon?
Jason did say in a live stream that they may have to transition to a version powered by TI chips, but that's about it.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #6,683 of 7,058
No.
The Unison blows away the previous USB cards making the USB sound as good as the other inputs.
It’s that good.
No reason to stick to Gen5
Don't you have to send it to the factory for that, and they change out the A1 board if you have it, do they not?

Could be an urban legend but for almost 7 years now had an A1 which I put the Gen 5 in myself about 4-5 years back. Nobody touches my Gumby.

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #6,684 of 7,058
Don't you have to send it to the factory for that, and they change out the A1 board if you have it, do they not?

Could be an urban legend but for almost 7 years now had an A1 which I put the Gen 5 in myself about 4-5 years back. Nobody touches my Gumby.
Huh…
That’s your choice of course.
Schiit “touched” it plenty when they built the thing in the first place the first place.
I guess I don’t see the issue to reward yourself with much better performance.
They basically re-programmed the motherboard if you read the information on the website.
One of those urban legends that seems a lot better seven years ago then today…

Oct 29, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,685 of 7,058

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, changing the analog board is part of the $500 Multibit upgrade, so I don't think they would be giving that away free while doing the $200 Unison upgrade. I recently had my A1 Gumby upgraded to Unison, and am very happy with the results. Yes, you do have to send it into the factory to have the Unison upgrade performed.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #6,686 of 7,058
Huh…
That’s your choice of course.
Schiit “touched” it plenty when they built the thing in the first place the first place.
Funny.
I guess I don’t see the issue to reward yourself with much better performance.
They basically re-programmed the motherboard if you read the information on the website.
One of those urban legends that seems a lot better seven years ago then today…

No the story only arrived after the Unison Board did, which was just short of 3 years I believe.

I do have the Gumby (I E. Multibit - 000541) with the USB5 which I put in myself. Was that your path? I also use only the balanced out.

I've got my mods and EQ (speakers and cans) all dialed in. If it's any less analog sounding that what I have now, it wouldn't be good as I sold off $100k worth of vinyl and equipment based on this units sound - better with the USB5 which is/was reversible.

I've already re-read most of the thread at the 4 letter site - lots of staunch A1 fans over there... Mixed bag of opinions on the upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #6,687 of 7,058
Anyone have a Gen 5 USB board they'd be willing to sell? Having a hard time finding one compatible with a gungnir.

To keep this post from being a blatant ad, I'll offer some impressions I posted on another forum:

Some impressions between the OG USB and Coax fed from a iDAC2 I picked up used as a cheap but hopefully decent converter. Note I am running equalizer APO using a modified version of Metal571's preset for the HD800 in both tests.

Setup:
Equalizer->PC->(Ifi Idac2)->Gungnir A1->Mjolnir 2 w/ Siemens ECC88->HD800

Idac2 USB to Coax to Gungnir vs USB (Gen 1?)
  • Less warm low-mid (less tubey?)
  • mid-highs elevated slightly (tracks have more "ting")
  • Illusion of soundstage compressed a bit (edges of stage seem more defined but stop sooner, almost abruptly)
  • Imaging a bit more precise
Honestly I might prefer the USB1, since I built this setup to maximize macrodynamics, stage size, and some tubey diffuseness. Maybe its my preference being for a distorted sound, the Idac2 not being a great coax transport, or the coloration difference affecting perceived staging a bit. Might mess with tuning out the tonal differences in EQ and doing another comparison.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #6,688 of 7,058
I reached out to Schiit U.K. regarding the Unison upgrade as I wanted to ensure I would retain the A1 board, and I was advised the following:

“…we get the Unison board fit it to the unit and flash the main boards software to accept the Unison card and thats it.”

The A1 board is not replaced with A2.

I’m am in two minds again as to whether to move to Unison from Gen2/Gen3 or if I should just carry on really enjoying how my system sounds as it is. Better the devil you know and I know I much prefer Gumby A1 Gen2/Gen3 over Gumby A2 Gen5.

They may not be worlds apart but it’s the small things in life that make the difference.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #6,689 of 7,058
The Unison is only for the USB-so it doesn't effect anything else.
If you have the setup to hear the difference-it's like a layer of noise/garbage is removed.
Even if you don't-there no sonic draw back.
Not like it's harsh, change of tone or timber.
I can't honesty imagine anyone wanting to go back to Gen 5.
It doesn't make any sense, if you take a moment to analyze what your hearing.
If there's a negative change-I can assure you it isn't Unison vs Gen 5.
The lower numbers IMHO are really lousy-you can hear a clear difference in clarity resolution, smoothness-between USB and coax-even optical.
Not to mention connectivity.

This ain't like the BF2 OG-vs BF 2/64.
Or A1 vs A2.
Clearly different flavors.
I have had more then a few Schiit dac's.
USB was always so so.
Fairly lousy in some instances.
Pretty well documented the need for Schiit to get their Schiit together on the USB side in those days.
Instead of Schiit continuing complaining about Windows/MS-they got to it.

Gen 5 was a huge leap forward-but Unison is a worthwhile refinement, not to mention ease of use.
My opinions of course-everyone is free to discover and formulate their own.
But I would certainly be curious hearing some definitive sonic pluses of the older USB boards vs Unison.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #6,690 of 7,058
I apologize about that earlier longer winded post.
The only thing that’s going to change how you Gumby sounds is the analog board or a DAC chip change (of course you can tune different chips- besides the point).
The reason Schiit changed the USB board because it was holding the sound back on that input, Plus the myriad of connectivity issues.
Well documented.
Plain and simple there’s no magic here.
The older boards just mean you’re hearing less of what you’re Gumby sounds like through the other inputs.
Maybe that’s what you want and that’s your choice. I get it.
But there isn’t any sort of monkey business going on it’s pretty transparent in how the Dac’s are constructed, and what actually the USB board does, and doesn’t do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back