Schiit Gungnir DAC
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #6,721 of 7,050
Gumby A1 arrived home today with Unison usb now fitted by Schiit Uk who have provided a first class experience in customer service.

I’ve had just under a couple of hours listening time and I’m already very impressed.

Stunned at the improvement in sound quality even at this early stage.

Thanks to those on this thread that provided insight and advice on Unison prior to me going ahead with it.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #6,722 of 7,050
Gumby A1 arrived home today with Unison usb now fitted by Schiit Uk who have provided a first class experience in customer service.

I’ve had just under a couple of hours listening time and I’m already very impressed.

Stunned at the improvement in sound quality even at this early stage.

Thanks to those on this thread that provided insight and advice on Unison prior to me going ahead with it.
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the upgrade. For me it was an amazing improvement in sound quality across the board.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #6,724 of 7,050
Thanks. Yeah agreed the Tonality is intact but the detail, clarity, imaging, bass quantity/quality etc has all improved.

Like going from HD on an LED TV to UHD HDR on an OLED TV.
I agree with the TV comparison as well, since I went OLED, that's the only kind of TV I'll buy going forward.

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #6,726 of 7,050
I am torn between Gungnir and Yggdrasil LIM. In favor of Gungnir is of course price, weight and footprint. The thing that bothers me in Gungnir is VCXO -> VCO downgrade. How important is it?
And I would be very grateful for your opinions about this choice.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #6,727 of 7,050
Not that bad if you have good source. I have Gungnir MB when VCXO was there. I would have gotter a OG Yggdrassil, but didn't have the money. I don't want to get the LiM.

You will be happy with either one, however.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #6,728 of 7,050
I ordered a Magni Piety from Nitsch. Only outboard DAC I have at the moment is my Gumby.

It'll look terrible and sound amazing, I'm sure :-D

Nov 21, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #6,729 of 7,050
I ordered a Magni Piety from Nitsch. Only outboard DAC I have at the moment is my Gumby.

It'll look terrible and sound amazing, I'm sure :-D
Nice- it’s an interesting concept and should sound great. A friend of mine @Hyde00 ordered one - although he does not have a Gumby (I keep recommending that he gets one though I think he’d really enjoy it.

It seems to resemble garage1217’s Project Polaris in concept - solid state amp mimicking tube amp sound profile.

Please let us know how you get on with Piety.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #6,730 of 7,050
I am torn between Gungnir and Yggdrasil LIM. In favor of Gungnir is of course price, weight and footprint. The thing that bothers me in Gungnir is VCXO -> VCO downgrade. How important is it?
And I would be very grateful for your opinions about this choice.
I've had my Gumby a long time, and I haven't seen the VCXO light go on in many years. My sources are a TV, a 4K Blu-ray player, and a MacBook Air.

Nov 23, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #6,731 of 7,050
I've had my Gumby a long time, and I haven't seen the VCXO light go on in many years. My sources are a TV, a 4K Blu-ray player, and a MacBook Air.
From what the manual says, if the lights not on then VCXO reclocking is successfully engaged. If the light is on, then VCXO is bypassed and the unit using VCO.

Nov 23, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #6,732 of 7,050
Hey folks!

Back on page 440 on this forum I posted that rather than spend $300 on the upgrade board for my Bifrost 2, I was thinking of putting that money plus the proceeds of the eventual sale of my Bifrost towards just getting a better DAC. For various reasons the Gungnir was on my shortlist of DACs and seemed like a logical step up.

Well, I just bought & received a Gungnir MB with the A1 board from the original owner who also updated the USB to Gen 5 (which I don’t use anyway).

Great sounding DAC except for one thing – the INSANE constant clicking when I pause a CD. So, I googled “gungnir insane clicking CD” and found a members’ post on page 382 who had the same problem, using a Cambridge CXC transport. That’s the transport I’m using! Seems like this was a known anomaly and the general consensus was to add a reclocker which the member did and, voila, clicking GONE!

So here’s my question – why did/does Schiit seem to make a big deal about their onboard VCXO/VCO if you need a reclocker for the unit to behave? Based on Schiit’s claims I would have thought the Gungnir (like all their DACs) would be immune from this behavior. My Bifrost doesn’t do it – perfectly silent when pausing a CD - and that member from page 382 also has an Yggdrasil and THAT doesn’t do it either with the Cambridge. So what’s different about the Gungnir that makes it susceptible to this behavior while their other DACs aren’t. And are there any other solutions outside of adding a reclocker? I’d hate to spend even more $ than I already have just so I can pause CDs in peace & quiet.

Any thoughts? And I hope you all have a very nice Thanksgiving.

Thank you.

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #6,733 of 7,050
And does anyone else's Gungnir have what I would call a "spongey-feeling" coax input? Mine has a little play/movement when connecting a cable to it.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #6,734 of 7,050
And does anyone else's Gungnir have what I would call a "spongey-feeling" coax input? Mine has a little play/movement when connecting a cable to it.
Mine does (original owner here). I forget what made me check. When I put it up for sale the prospect was concerned. I haven't noticed anything, though.

Nov 23, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #6,735 of 7,050
Hey folks!

Back on page 440 on this forum I posted that rather than spend $300 on the upgrade board for my Bifrost 2, I was thinking of putting that money plus the proceeds of the eventual sale of my Bifrost towards just getting a better DAC. For various reasons the Gungnir was on my shortlist of DACs and seemed like a logical step up.

Well, I just bought & received a Gungnir MB with the A1 board from the original owner who also updated the USB to Gen 5 (which I don’t use anyway).

Great sounding DAC except for one thing – the INSANE constant clicking when I pause a CD. So, I googled “gungnir insane clicking CD” and found a members’ post on page 382 who had the same problem, using a Cambridge CXC transport. That’s the transport I’m using! Seems like this was a known anomaly and the general consensus was to add a reclocker which the member did and, voila, clicking GONE!

So here’s my question – why did/does Schiit seem to make a big deal about their onboard VCXO/VCO if you need a reclocker for the unit to behave? Based on Schiit’s claims I would have thought the Gungnir (like all their DACs) would be immune from this behavior. My Bifrost doesn’t do it – perfectly silent when pausing a CD - and that member from page 382 also has an Yggdrasil and THAT doesn’t do it either with the Cambridge. So what’s different about the Gungnir that makes it susceptible to this behavior while their other DACs aren’t. And are there any other solutions outside of adding a reclocker? I’d hate to spend even more $ than I already have just so I can pause CDs in peace & quiet.

Any thoughts? And I hope you all have a very nice Thanksgiving.

Thank you.
I’ve previously had 2x Gumby A2 (both with Gen5 usb) and now have a Gumby A1 that was recently upgraded from Gen2 usb to Unison usb

All variants/specs have clicked when skipping from one track to another with some (not all) music.

I currently use Apple Music via my iPhone 12 Pro Max which is connected via Apple CCK and a decent usb cable into Unison- still get clicks.

Doesn’t bother me though lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back