Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 2, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #6,331 of 7,050
I have to ask you guys as I'm a little confused(and late to the game). In regards to the Gungnir...
Reading through countless threads... Its apparent that Schiit changed up the Gungnirs analogue board. Most of what I read through about the Gungnir sound seems to be based on A1. I have relatively dynamic, fwd speakers and I was looking for a DAC to match with the Freya + to tame the sound a little. Gungnir seemed to have fit the bill but I'm not that familiar with what Schiit has done with their upgrades. Did Schiit really change the sound signature of the Gungnir awhile back to be more "cold"? Should be noted I'm using in a stereo set up.

Oct 2, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #6,332 of 7,050
I have to ask you guys as I'm a little confused(and late to the game). In regards to the Gungnir...
Reading through countless threads... Its apparent that Schiit changed up the Gungnirs analogue board. Most of what I read through about the Gungnir sound seems to be based on A1. I have relatively dynamic, fwd speakers and I was looking for a DAC to match with the Freya + to tame the sound a little. Gungnir seemed to have fit the bill but I'm not that familiar with what Schiit has done with their upgrades. Did Schiit really change the sound signature of the Gungnir awhile back to be more "cold"? Should be noted I'm using in a stereo set up.
I know there are different revisions for the analog board in Yggdrasil, I don't know if the same is true of Gungnir. If a newer analog board was available, I'm surprised it's not offered as an upgrade option.

Time to learn something...

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #6,333 of 7,050
OK, I got to listen for about an hour before my DAP's battery died. It's resting and recharging now...

First impressions: no harm was done. The bass I liked from the delta-sigma board is still just as deep, just as resonant. The mids are still liquid. The highs are still extended, sparkly and detailed. Now I need to dig in, relax and start listening for the stuff you don't hear in your first go.

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #6,334 of 7,050
I know there are different revisions for the analog board in Yggdrasil, I don't know if the same is true of Gungnir. If a newer analog board was available, I'm surprised it's not offered as an upgrade option.

Time to learn something...
It seems like Schiit changed Analogue boards without notice a little while ago. So this may be old news. But if people were buying the gungnir based on what others before them have experienced...they would unknowingly be getting a different sounding DAC. I'm noticing used Gungnir muktibit dacs that's specifically day A1 board...or "rare" A1 board. Needless to say...prices for those are unusually high for a older used dac...and yet they sell quickly. Reading through different forums that discuss this..it gets confusing as there are usually a few different conversations going on and..well mostly... Im not very literate in the technical details on this subject.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #6,336 of 7,050
Oct 2, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #6,337 of 7,050
There's definitely 2 boards. Analog 1 & 2.
SBAF has a whole thread on it.
Well, schiit, now I wonder which board I have (I bought my Gungnir used).

Oct 2, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #6,338 of 7,050
I was wondering how one would know as well when looking to buy used. Might be something on the serial # but since Schiit made the change incognito there may be no way of knowing unless u open it up and know what ur looking at. I'll check out that discussion on SBAF.

Oct 3, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #6,340 of 7,050
If the serial number starts with a "B" it's got a 'A2' analog board. The change to the new revised board occurred October 2017.
cheers
Thanks, I'll look to satisfy my curiosity.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #6,341 of 7,050
It seems like Schiit changed Analogue boards without notice a little while ago. So this may be old news. But if people were buying the gungnir based on what others before them have experienced...they would unknowingly be getting a different sounding DAC. I'm noticing used Gungnir muktibit dacs that's specifically day A1 board...or "rare" A1 board. Needless to say...prices for those are unusually high for a older used dac...and yet they sell quickly. Reading through different forums that discuss this..it gets confusing as there are usually a few different conversations going on and..well mostly... Im not very literate in the technical details on this subject.
So are you saying the A1 boards are considered more valuable than the A2 boards on the used market?

So Schiit made it better and people prefer the old one?

My understanding was with Analog 2 board the general trait of Yggy and Gungnir switches. Yggy was a little aggressive on 1 and Gumby was laid back.

On v2 Yggy got more laid back or analog while Gumby got a bit more forward. Yggy still had more detail.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #6,342 of 7,050
I can't find it now, but there have been posts with photos comparing the Gungnir A1 and A2 boards. They show that a few components were changed, but they are almost identical and A2 is clearly not a redesigned board as happened with Yggdrasil. I'm pretty sure that Jason would classify it as a Kaizen update.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-13791607

The prevailing opinion seems to be that A1 has a warmer sound than A2, but consider this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/post-16391527
I suspect that it's one of those audiophile things where a subtle difference gets blown out of proportion.

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #6,344 of 7,050
If anything The A1 is less valuable but harder to find. The A1 has a warmer tilt to the presentation and works better with brighter systems. The A1 also is thought to not need the Unison update as it becomes too warm. The A2 is more versatile and less gray sounding, but the gray is still a bit there. A2 is generally more neutral.

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #6,345 of 7,050
If the serial number starts with a "B" it's got a 'A2' analog board. The change to the new revised board occurred October 2017.
cheers
I ordered mine in April, 2017. I like its liquidity. Never heard the A2. I have heard an Yggdrasil through headphones. The size of the Y made me go for the G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back