Schiit Gungnir DAC
Sep 21, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #6,316 of 7,049
Thank you, macdonjh.

I get a lot from your experience. As you said, I might consider upgrading the system from Bifrost to Gungnir. For me, if the system can offer more details than the others, that means that's worth buying them.
I had the Bifrost 2 for a few months at the beginning of the year. Gotta sweet deal on a Gungnir multibit(gen5/A2) from a friend a few months after owning the BF2.
It wasn't even close. The Gumby is miles ahead in just about every category. The only thing the BF2 wins in is it's size factor lol. That's about it.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #6,317 of 7,049
It's too bad the channel drop-out is so infrequent, from a trouble shooting perspective. ...

Can you swap your Gungnir with another DAC in another system and see if the problem repeats itself?
The dropout actually does fix itself after a few minutes. This is the first time I've actively intervened to fix it.
I have a Bifrost OG I could press in to service. The Gungnir MB sounds so much nicer that I couldn't bear to swap it out for the indeterminate amount of time it would take for the problem to manifest.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #6,318 of 7,049
I received notice from Schiit HQ my Gungnir is on its way back to me with more bits and better USB. I expect it will be here next Wednesday, though I can't confirm that: Schiit sent me the e-mail before FedEx had come by to pick up today's boxes. :)

More impressions in a few days. I expect I won't be able to help myself and I'll post initial thoughts even before the DAC has warmed up and settled in. @Lichi, stay tuned...

Sep 24, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #6,319 of 7,049
I received notice from Schiit HQ my Gungnir is on its way back to me with more bits and better USB. I expect it will be here next Wednesday, though I can't confirm that: Schiit sent me the e-mail before FedEx had come by to pick up today's boxes. :)

More impressions in a few days. I expect I won't be able to help myself and I'll post initial thoughts even before the DAC has warmed up and settled in. @Lichi, stay tuned...

You are the man, buddy. Waiting for your updates. And I also looking for a Gungnir in the classifieds, It seems it is a very nice choice for my next collection.

Sep 24, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #6,320 of 7,049

Wow bro. We're on the same schedule lol. Wednesday is when mine is supposed to be back too 😂

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #6,321 of 7,049
...supposed to be here Monday, delayed. No "expected delivery date" posted. Sigh. Good thing I like the sound of my Bifrost multi-bit, too.

Any of you follow the "Story of the Most Improbable Start-up" thread, too? There was a short language lesson about proper Norse pronunciation. Apparently, Bifrost would be pronounced Beef-rost in Norway.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #6,322 of 7,049
Same on my LIM Yggdrasil... Stuck in limbo. Called FedEX daily since Monday only to find out they have a worker shortage and have no idea when it may be delivered. Read on a few groups FedEX is running weeks behind atm. DO NOT USE FEDEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 29, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #6,323 of 7,049
Same on my LIM Yggdrasil... Stuck in limbo. Called FedEX daily since Monday only to find out they have a worker shortage and have no idea when it may be delivered. Read on a few groups FedEX is running weeks behind atm. DO NOT USE FEDEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very strange. I shipped a piece of Head-Fi gear to another Head-Fi member the week-before-last and it arrived in two or three days, as promised. Also going between major US cities (rather than to some place in the boonies). Perhaps LA is considered wilderness now by FedEx?

Oct 2, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #6,325 of 7,049
Well folks.... The Unison upgrade has exceeded my expectations. It really does smoke the gen5 usb card.
Way more transparency. Much better imaging and space between notes. More air and breath across the board. The sense of realism is insane. Way more dimensional with outstanding layering.

Didn't expect there to be that big of a difference but it's pretty significant! Anyone on the fence I highly recommend the Unison upgrade. It really unleashes the Gumby.

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #6,326 of 7,049
Well folks.... The Unison upgrade has exceeded my expectations. It really does smoke the gen5 usb card.
Way more transparency. Much better imaging and space between notes. More air and breath across the board. The sense of realism is insane. Way more dimensional with outstanding layering.

Didn't expect there to be that big of a difference but it's pretty significant! Anyone on the fence I highly recommend the Unison upgrade. It really unleashes the Gumby.
What are you using as your digital source, your computer? I ask because today my digital sources are my DAPs, so I wonder how much difference Unison will make.

Oct 2, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #6,327 of 7,049
What are you using as your digital source, your computer? I ask because today my digital sources are my DAPs, so I wonder how much difference Unison will make.
I'm using a laptop atm. I'll be getting a streamer soon to compare Unison vs Coax/streamer.

Either an ifi zen stream or a pi2design mercury streamer.

I'll definitely report back on the comparison.

As far as daps go. I've always wondered how they compete. I'd imagine great but I guess I'd have to travel that rabbit hole to find out lol

Oct 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #6,328 of 7,049
I'm using a laptop atm. I'll be getting a streamer soon to compare Unison vs Coax/streamer.

Either an ifi zen stream or a pi2design mercury streamer.

I'll definitely report back on the comparison.

As far as daps go. I've always wondered how they compete. I'd imagine great but I guess I'd have to travel that rabbit hole to find out lol
I am using a laptop now through an Eitr in my main system. In my headphone systems I use my DAPs. I'm working on my server software and may be using my laptop as a source in my headphone systems, too. I only have one Eitr, so having a Unison board in my Gungnir will be a good thing.

Oct 2, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #6,329 of 7,049
Gungnir is back and warming up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back