Schiit Gungnir DAC
Oct 3, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #6,346 of 7,067
I can't find it now, but there have been posts with photos comparing the Gungnir A1 and A2 boards. They show that a few components were changed, but they are almost identical and A2 is clearly not a redesigned board as happened with Yggdrasil. I'm pretty sure that Jason would classify it as a Kaizen update.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-13791607

The prevailing opinion seems to be that A1 has a warmer sound than A2, but consider this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/post-16391527
I suspect that it's one of those audiophile things where a subtle difference gets blown out of proportion.

Oct 3, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #6,347 of 7,067
I can't find it now, but there have been posts with photos comparing the Gungnir A1 and A2 boards. They show that a few components were changed, but they are almost identical and A2 is clearly not a redesigned board as happened with Yggdrasil. I'm pretty sure that Jason would classify it as a Kaizen update.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-13791607

The prevailing opinion seems to be that A1 has a warmer sound than A2, but consider this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/post-16391527
I suspect that it's one of those audiophile things where a subtle difference gets blown out of proportion.
Thank for that info.

Oct 5, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #6,348 of 7,067
OK, I got to listen for about an hour before my DAP's battery died. It's resting and recharging now...

First impressions: no harm was done. The bass I liked from the delta-sigma board is still just as deep, just as resonant. The mids are still liquid. The highs are still extended, sparkly and detailed. Now I need to dig in, relax and start listening for the stuff you don't hear in your first go.
OK, so you guys get an inside look at how the sausage is made while I collect my thoughts.

After that first night, when I was relieved to have my Gungnir back finally, I was only able to listen a couple more times. I was actually disappointed. While the improvements Gungnir brings to my system as compared to Bifrost were still there, that's all I heard, pretty much the same sound. My system has been:
DAP (USB out) -> Gungnir -> Sys -> Aegir -> Stax SR-Lambda

Tonight, right now in fact, I have my other head phones in our living room.
DAP (USB out) -> Gungnir -> Sys -> Aegir -> HiFiMAN HE-500

I have been blown away by the bottom end- the whole bottom end. Low bass, mid-bass, bass/midrange transition, all of it. Extension, power, detail, it's all there and it's addicting already. I haven't listened to any vocal music yet, so I won't comment about that. One O'Clock Lab Band is playing now, so lots of horns. The trombone is sweet and mellow, the trumpets are brash and bright as the blare away at intervals. No sibilance from the cymbals, I'll have to listen to a song which features cymbals, bells, triangles to hear how the leading edges are handled.

I am more excited about the multi-bit board now.

Oct 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #6,349 of 7,067
Long-yeared debate on Bifrost or Gungnir. Didn't want to upgrade later and got the order for Gungnir, waiting on the deliver. I am happy with that choice, next is the amp for my HD800S. Been leaning toward Lyr 3, but delivery times are high.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #6,350 of 7,067
Long-yeared debate on Bifrost or Gungnir. Didn't want to upgrade later and got the order for Gungnir, waiting on the deliver. I am happy with that choice, next is the amp for my HD800S. Been leaning toward Lyr 3, but delivery times are high.
You can always try and source a used Mjolnir 2. Then you'll have a matching stack and be fully balanced.
Just a thought. Lol

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #6,351 of 7,067
So are you saying the A1 boards are considered more valuable than the A2 boards on the used market?

So Schiit made it better and people prefer the old one?

My understanding was with Analog 2 board the general trait of Yggy and Gungnir switches. Yggy was a little aggressive on 1 and Gumby was laid back.

On v2 Yggy got more laid back or analog while Gumby got a bit more forward. Yggy still had more detail.
They said A2 was an upgrade. I have a A1 w/ the DIY board added. A2 is not an upgrade IMO. A2 is more digital and lacks some of the subtle overtones of the A1. I doubt I would have sold my SoTA analog rig for the Gumby with the A2 in it.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #6,353 of 7,067
Who said Gumby A2 was an upgrade? Schiit has said nothing about upgrades for Gumby (besides the USB board).
I don't think anyone's ever been able to tease any real answer from anyone at Schiit about what was done, when or why.

Although 'we all know' it did happen, and when, and what it sounds like. At least, that's the rumor.

My OG Gumby was 3rd hand, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Perfectly. Very perfectly. 😁

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #6,356 of 7,067
Who said Gumby A2 was an upgrade? Schiit has said nothing about upgrades for Gumby (besides the USB board).
Usually when something is updated its labeled "upgrade". Certainly that's what early adopters claimed. My bad it seems - OK.

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #6,357 of 7,067
Hey guys.

I will probably get some slanted replies here but figured it's a decent place to ask.

I can get a Gumby for about 800 pounds after I sell my old DAC, or a Yggdrasil for about 1600. Obviously, a 100 percent increase is a lot, and I am pretty sure there won't be that much between them.

However, what's not much to someone might be a lot to me, so I figured id ask what you guys think? I am leaning towards the gumby and I can upgrade in say a year or so if I feel inclined?

I have a SDR modded hd800 with a La figaro 339i tube amp. For my speakers, I have Monitor Audio Silver 500 driven by a Musical Fidelity m6si. Hope that helps. My current dac is a Modius so I know the upgrade to any multibit would be good at this point.

Cheers.

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #6,358 of 7,067
Hey guys.

I will probably get some slanted replies here but figured it's a decent place to ask.

I can get a Gumby for about 800 pounds after I sell my old DAC, or a Yggdrasil for about 1600. Obviously, a 100 percent increase is a lot, and I am pretty sure there won't be that much between them.

However, what's not much to someone might be a lot to me, so I figured id ask what you guys think? I am leaning towards the gumby and I can upgrade in say a year or so if I feel inclined?

I have a SDR modded hd800 with a La figaro 339i tube amp. For my speakers, I have Monitor Audio Silver 500 driven by a Musical Fidelity m6si. Hope that helps. My current dac is a Modius so I know the upgrade to any multibit would be good at this point.

Cheers.
If the 800 is a lot to you, take the Gumby.
It's already an extremely good DAC

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #6,359 of 7,067
Thanks for getting back to me.

So, I could technically afford it but it wouldn't be that comfortable. I'd make the sacrifice if the difference is worth it.

I feel like the gumby is more than enough for atleast a year though and I could always upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #6,360 of 7,067
I agree. My rig is shown below and the SQ is great. I've heard the Yggy also, and the SQ is similar to the Gumby. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back