Schiit Fulla 2 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #91 of 1,697
Posted this on Jason's but thought I would ask here also:

Noob question here:
Fulla II, usb,
what signal is the unit pulling from my laptop MacBook while playing iTunes or a CD in the laptop? Is it analog or digital?

I did have a few fals starts with the unit but after boiling s bowl of pasta I came back and tried again: power usb, then signal usb, then variable pre out, then opened the system preffs. Recognized the F2 instantly. I did plug and replug the cables a few times. Ok, admission of guilt I did plug the aux cable from my little Yamaha into the minni plug in the front of the unit first... 100% Googan

I am a 2ch guy just pationantly waiting for the Frea and vadar to be released. I bought the F2 unit to play with and have a little skin, I was going to type schitt, in the game.

Thanx

The Signal Is Digital from USB.The Fulla 2 is a Digital to analog Converter (DAC) and headphone amp combo. Also USB is a Digital only Bus

WHen you set the F2 up in windoze Ideally you would set the volume to Max on your PC (for the I'm Fulla Schiit control) then use the fulla 2 to control your volume. And also change the settings to accept 24/96k as it will default to 16/44.1

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #92 of 1,697

Yes- doesn't work.  Works great with laptop though- and as an amp for iPhone when plugged into the front

Did you try plugging in power to the Fulla 2 before connecting it to the iPhone?  

According to a Schiit representative:

"One note: plugging in the auxiliary power after you have it running is totally safe, but it won't change the reporting to the computer or phone. That is, your computer or phone will still think it's a 500mA device. Again, this won't hurt anything, but if you want the benefits of 0mA reporting (like for iDevices), connect the power first, then the device."

Dec 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #94 of 1,697

Did you try plugging in power to the Fulla 2 before connecting it to the iPhone?  

Also, make sure you are plugging the power cable into the 'power only' input and the iPhone cable into the 'power and data' input.

If none of this works then the Fulla 2 may not work with an iOS device
mad.gif
​, which would be weird because in the Fulla 2 FAQ it specifically states that it will work with an iOS device.

"So I can use this with iDevices and Android phones with no powered hub?
Exactly. As long as you have a 5V charger of reasonable quality with a micro USB connector for output. You know, like for charging phones." 

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #95 of 1,697
Just got my Fulla 2 today. Spent about an hour doing an a/b of the amp portion of the F2 test against my O2/ODAC combo, running both off of the onboard ODAC, and listening on both a AKG k712 and Foster T40RP mk3. Didn't get a chance to listen with my HE400i but I'm prepared to give this preliminary assessment...
This is probably going to be found to be the best DAC/amp combo for <$200. Maybe $300. If the inputs and outputs meet your needs and you have primarily low resistance headphones to drive, I can't see there being much competition for sound quality until you go way up-market. The only weakness I can see is if your gear needs PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER to drive, the F2 may not be the right fit. But I don't own any extremely hard to drive high resistance headphones. I need to refurb my k240 Sextett and see how it sounds on the F2.

So how did it compare to the O2/ODAC?

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #96 of 1,697

I got digital noise on my Fulla 1 twice. Once using a cheapo cable. Figured it was a shielding issue so I tossed it in the can and hooked up another one. Worked fine. The second time was when I was using a USB dock. Plugged it directly into the MBP and it worked fine. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #97 of 1,697
  So how did it compare to the O2/ODAC?

Indistinguishable to my ears, when just comparing the amp portions of both devices. I know some people have feelings about the AKM AK4490 DAC chip Schiit uses in this and the Modi. But it sounds fine to me. For $100 I don't think you can go wrong unless, as I noted before, you need an input this doesn't have (fiber comes to mind) or have hard to drive high impedance headphones. I will note that the USB ports did not want to accept my Anker cables without some shoving, and there is no off switch, if leaving something on all the time is a thing that bothers you. It gets percievably warm but not WARM. Oh, and there's only 3 M*$&#$F(@)@ing rubber feet on the bottom of the unit so the ass end can wobble a bit.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #98 of 1,697
  Indistinguishable to my ears, when just comparing the amp portions of both devices. I know some people have feelings about the AKM AK4490 DAC chip Schiit uses in this and the Modi. But it sounds fine to me. For $100 I don't think you can go wrong unless, as I noted before, you need an input this doesn't have (fiber comes to mind) or have hard to drive high impedance headphones. I will note that the USB ports did not want to accept my Anker cables without some shoving, and there is no off switch, if leaving something on all the time is a thing that bothers you. It gets percievably warm but not WARM. Oh, and there's only 3 M*$&#$F(@)@ing rubber feet on the bottom of the unit so the ass end can wobble a bit.

LOL.  I Found  the Trifecta of feet weird but I got used to it.  I had the tight USB Ports too, but it is a solid connection once you get it in there.

Dec 13, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #100 of 1,697
  The tight USB connections are simply because the two ports are very close to one another, if you have a cables with larger jack ends they may want to compete for space.

It is tight with just one cable. Nothing to do with the distance between the cables. I swapped out a few cables moving it around and its tight with them all.. 

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #101 of 1,697
Originally Posted by UltraBadger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and there's only 3 M*$&#$F(@)@ing rubber feet on the bottom of the unit so the ass end can wobble a bit.

I know, What?! 
confused.gif

Would it really have broken the bank to have added one more rubber foot to the BOM?!
rolleyes.gif
​ 

Not a deal-breaker, but still a pretty lame design choice.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #102 of 1,697

I know, What?! 
confused.gif

Would it really have broken the bank to have added one more rubber foot to the BOM?!
rolleyes.gif
​ 

Not a deal-breaker, but still a pretty lame design choice.

There are a lot of three-footed Schiit products.  My Gumby is the same way.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely odd.   On the other hand, it won't rock back and forth on an uneven surface -- it'll sit there fine.

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #103 of 1,697

There are a lot of three-footed Schiit products.  My Gumby is the same way.

Not a deal breaker, but definitely odd.   On the other hand, it won't rock back and forth on an uneven surface -- it'll sit there fine.

what? my mjolnir 2 def has 4...

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #104 of 1,697
  It is tight with just one cable. Nothing to do with the distance between the cables. I swapped out a few cables moving it around and its tight with them all.. 

Interesting, I guess it's better than loose.

As for the 3 foot configuration, they mentioned that these feet went pretty far into the chassis, perhaps they didn't have as much room in the back given the number of jacks present. Or perhaps it's just a design choice, I'm just winging it here.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #105 of 1,697
Originally Posted by UltraBadger 

Oh, and there's only 3 M*$&#$F(@)@ing rubber feet on the bottom of the unit so the ass end can wobble a bit.

I'm curious now.  Can someone post a picture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back