Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Oct 15, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #196 of 578
Didn't have any problem at all, my only goal was to benefit from the LM723 linear PSU......so far I let it run for one day with the Audioengine D3 @24/44.1 and all went fine but right now while streaming a 24/88.2 tune to the D3, playback suddenly stopped and foobar froze. I unplugged the D3, killed foobar, fit it back in and it was started playing white noise, I tried another PCM2704 dongle I keep around for tests and music was getting through but with a lot of loud clicks covering it huh.

I tried to restart Wyred, unplug its PSU for 30 secs together with the USB cables but it took a reboot to fix it. Hopefully I don't have a dud coz I was really enjoying it..

PS: and it just happened again with 24/88.2 fed to the D3 after 5 mins, the latter seems to work just fine off the mobo. I love troubleshooting.

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #197 of 578
Didn't have any problem at all, my only goal was to benefit from the LM723 linear PSU......

So you bought a $100 Wyrd to improve the power on a $150 DAC?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #199 of 578
We are plain and simply listening to the PSU, most ppl seem to overlook that apparently.

I got half a dozen USB DAC's around, I just really like the design of the D3(AK4396>headamp output stage with hardware accelerated volume attenuation and 88.2 support).

The D3 sounds like crap off the mobo and pretty amazing off the Wyred, the AK4396 "miracle DAC" & LM723 myths are very real to my ears :)

Anyway, I let it run overnight streaming 24/44.1 and it worked just fine......not sure wth is going on here, I'll try other DAC's today.

Still, WaveIO doesn't work through Wyred as Windows doesn't see it(tested on a USB2 controller) so this is not a transparent solution and can be a hit & miss.....no 88.2 off the D3 apparently (H87 chipset/W7SP1), I'll try other SR's :frowning2:

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #201 of 578

Though it might seem like a strange way to spend money, I'd say the $99 spent on the Wyrd is worth it. Consider that now you have a combo at $249 that would probably outperform any other standalone DAC similarly priced.

We are plain and simply listening to the PSU, most ppl seem to overlook that apparently.

I got half a dozen USB DAC's around, I just really like the design of the D3(AK4396>headamp output stage with hardware accelerated volume attenuation and 88.2 support).

The D3 sounds like crap off the mobo and pretty amazing off the Wyred, the AK4396 "miracle DAC" & LM723 myths are very real to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I let it run overning streaming 24/44.1 and it worked just fine......not sure wth is going on here, I'll try other DAC's today.

Still, WaveIO doesn't work through Wyred as Windows doesn't see it(tested on a USB2 controller) so this is not a transparent solution and can be a hit & miss.....no 88.2 off the D3 apparently (H87 chipset/W7SP1), I'll try other SR's
frown.gif

Valid point - and I was in no way criticizing just got a chuckle out of the cost of Wyrd relative to DAC but was not thinking in terms of Wyrd being a high quality power supply vs. "USB noise eliminator". So no more obsessive than a separate torroidal transformer  for non-USB powered DAC 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #202 of 578
There is nothing weird about WYRD. I received mine on Monday and did a few experiments with it. I hooked a y-cable between my amp and the 'audio' out on my pc, I did not play anything throught the computer, just the noise of the computer itself, after powering up the amp, the SNAPS, CRACKLES, POPS and HISSES filled the room and I quickly had to turn everything off. I then hooked everything up to the WYRD's input and output and powered up the amp, turned the volume to max and heard absolutely nothing, black background, nada, nothing, niente. I hit firefox to start it, still I heard nothing. I then opened my favourite media player and started up Tsuyoshi Yamamoto's, Midnight Sugar album and all I could hear, or perceive, was that talented gentleman sitting before me with his group performing in the soundstage that my speakers are capable of producing.

$99. it would be an audio bargain at quadruple the price. Yeah, and that ain't no Schiit!

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #203 of 578
Some of you guys have the worst luck with USB audio.  The only two probs I've had with mine are pops when seeking and manually changing track position in some audio software(which I suspect turning off power management would fix but that isn't happening on a 200+ watt CPU), and occasionally corrupted audio coming out of suspend which I suspect is just Windows being silly.
I don't doubt a bit it helps and I'm glad it does, but darn what kind of boards are you folks running?  I've had a few that had some really bad implementations of USB, most recently was an Asrock Extreme 9 990FX unit that refused to have functional USB3 due to really, really bad drivers.  I'd think there would be a list of problematic USB(audio) motherboards by now.

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #204 of 578
Has anyone tried using the Wyrd to power a usb to spdif convertor?  I assume it would work but the driver issues with a few dacs makes me nervous.  I have the M2Tech Hiface 2 if anyone has that or something similar and wants to give it a go.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #205 of 578
So I tried a few other DAC's and upsampling youtube video to 24/96 DS would always brick the schiit after a few mins, I remembered the owner of m2tech recommending USB2 NEC chipsets as a fix for funky USB problems so I installed one of those boards and so far so good!

It's all using vanilla m$ drivers now and I would appear to be able to play 88.2/96 all I want, this said W7 is obsolete and my problem might also have to do with the XHCI/EHCI setting in the mobo BIOS bleh, IIRC I left it on the default "Smart Auto" setting, maybe not that smart after all
devil_face.gif

I'll try to break the +5V pin of the USB cable going to the PC, it was reported to not work but ya never know ^^

I've also never really bought the "AC phase" story over 230V where there would supposedly be a shriller sounding polarity but I'll try that too.

Oct 17, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #207 of 578
Fair enough, I'm using a standalone USB2 NEC controller so we'll see whether that'd change anything.

BTW, I haven't run extensive testing yet but when turning Wyred on I have to unplug and replug the D3 otherwise its internal relay keeps ticking and it doesn't mount. Is this a known issue? Not sure how it behaves after a reboot, will have to try that as I don't plan on ever turning Wyred off anyway.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:14 PM Post #208 of 578
BTW, I haven't run extensive testing yet but when turning Wyred on I have to unplug and replug the D3 otherwise its internal relay keeps ticking and it doesn't mount. Is this a known issue? Not sure how it behaves after a reboot, will have to try that as I don't plan on ever turning Wyred off anyway.

It might have to do with the Wyrd's design. With my Geek Out, whenever I turn on the Wyrd I too have to unplug and replug the GO in order to get it to initialize.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #210 of 578
Hmmm... my brief love affair with Modi is ending. Not that I am complaining; it is good value for $100. Tonally it sounds good, a tad mushy, a bit light on detail, but solid for its price.

But... and the reason I am posting in this thread... my love affair with Wyrd burns strong. I am now using it with my old 2006 MicroDAC and it has made a material difference. I am firmly in the camp now that Wyrd does improve DAC sound quality by reducing jitter.

Interestingly, I tried it with the Calyx M and it did reduce the substantial gap between the M's performance as a DAP and its poorer performance as a USB DAC/amp - reduced a fair bit actually but not completely eliminated, I am afraid. That is still impressive though. Kudos to the Wyrd.

(And again... zero connectivity problems with any of the above. So I think that connectivity is not an issue with the Wyrd and a fully current PC.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back