Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Oct 30, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #226 of 578
Wyrd will fix the problem if that is indeed the issue. Be sure to double check that the device is selected properly in your sound settings before you purchase the Wyrd, though. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #227 of 578
@ckyr: Can you please edit the title of this thread to add "Wyrd". The Wyrd is a fine product and this has become the default thread for discussing it. It deserves better.

How about: Schiit Wyrd released - USB power isolator.  (Saying both Decrapifier and isolator is redundant)

Alternatively: Schiit Wyrd released - USB power decrapifier

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #228 of 578
  Dear Head-Fi Gurus,
       I have Schitt Gungnir with USB input that works well with the Windows XP PC and foobar2000 software that I have. I have recently bought a Lenovo 64 bit I3 Flex 15.2 laptop.  This laptop does not recognize the Schitt Gungnir from the foobar after I install the Schitt USB drivers.  Schitt Technical support recommended getting external powered USB Hub. Will the Wyrd device help in this case?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi smilealways:

What operating system is on your new laptop, and does the laptop OS (not Foobar) recognize the Gungnir as a device after you install the drivers?  That's the first thing to get working.

And while Wyrd may fix your issue you could always try a cheaper powered USB hub first.

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #229 of 578

Hi Ogodei,
      OS is windows 8.1.When I install the Schitt USB driver, the installation program does not recognize the Gungnir as a DAC and the installation program terminates because it does not see the Gungnir on the USB port.   Any ideas are appreciated.

I was told by Schitt support that Windows 8.1  has problem with USB port power management.  They recommended an external powered USB hub.  .

Thanks,

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #230 of 578

Hi Ogodei,
      OS is windows 8.1.When I install the Schitt USB driver, the installation program does not recognize the Gungnir as a DAC and the installation program terminates because it does not see the Gungnir on the USB port.   Any ideas are appreciated.

I was told by Schitt support that Windows 8.1  has problem with USB port power management.  They recommended an external powered USB hub.  .

Thanks,

This doesn't sound like a power management issue but they could be correct, they have probably seen this more than me
biggrin.gif

Stupid stuff first: Make sure the Gungnir is powered on; Try a different USB cable and a different port on your machine if you haven't already (Make sure the cable is USB 2.0 compliant); Try adding the Gungnir to a different machine to see if that one recognizes it; Re-download the Gungnir driver (to make sure it isn't corrupted) and Uninstall \ reinstall it on your machine.

Slightly more complicated stuff second: Update your chipset drivers from Dell (or verify that you already have the latest drivers installed); Follow the instructions at these sites to turn power management off:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-annoying-windows-usb-problem.htm

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1885037/windows-usb-devices-disconnect-reconnect-power-saving.html

Most complicated stuff last:   Try the registry hack that Schiit provides here.

If you want to try a powered USB hub be aware Schiit states that ANY powered USB hub will work, not just Wyrd, so save some $$ unless you want the extra features in the Wyrd. Make sure anything you get is USB 2.0 compliant but pretty much everything is these days.

Much luck.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #231 of 578

Hi Ogodei,

Thanks,

Echo ogedei's comments with the caveat that I've found the vendor provided drivers are not always the fix. I.e. try latest provided Dell driver, chipset mfg provided, and default Windows drivers.  Also when you plug in Gungir and go to device manager do you see a ? with unrecognized device at least? 

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #232 of 578
My Xonar Essence One has intermittent crackling when using USB input (none via spdif so USB has to be the culprit), so I'm eyeing this....

However, the Xonar U7 has spdif out I believe, and runs for $100, too.

Would running my laptops audio through the U7 to the One via spdif make sense?

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #233 of 578
My Xonar Essence One has intermittent crackling when using USB input (none via spdif so USB has to be the culprit), so I'm eyeing this....

However, the Xonar U7 has spdif out I believe, and runs for $100, too.

Would running my laptops audio through the U7 to the One via spdif make sense?

what kind of crackling? does it seem related to your hard drive working harder or your mouse moving or your fridge turning ON
tongue.gif
? is the music cutting out for an instant or is the crackling unrelated? did you try playing with the buffer length on foobar?

using a 100$ card as a spdif converter seems like a stretch.

Hi Ogodei,

Thanks,

wow so the "solution", is usb hub+wyrd+DAC ...
why not a powered hub and remove the wyrd? the result would be the same on most DACs.

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #234 of 578
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do some investigating, but the crackling occurs when no audio is playing too, and seems unrelated to any activity. Why do you ask?

Oct 31, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #235 of 578
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to do some investigating, but the crackling occurs when no audio is playing too, and seems unrelated to any activity. Why do you ask?

to try and find out if it's some electrical stuff from the motherboard bleeding into the sound signal, or something plugged into the computer, or more of a setting/software/driver problem. if that happens without any music playing then my buffer idea is a fail
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #236 of 578

wow so the "solution", is usb hub+wyrd+DAC ...
why not a powered hub and remove the wyrd? the result would be the same on most DACs.

I don't think anybody is suggesting usb hub+wyrd.  I think the question is some version of 'generic usb hub' or 'wyrd' or something else. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #239 of 578
Wyrd works fine with my desktop running windows 7 and my surface pro 1 with windows 8.1.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #240 of 578

I think that you should try the Wyrd before jumping to such conclusions. In my experience the USB isolation, linear power supply and reclocking can bring material, even significant, improvements.

I'm all for trying new stuff, but put yourself in my shoes, I'm not gonna spend 100$ on something I think I don't need. it's a problem fixer for people who think they have one. I can understand the desire to get it as usb isn't the optimum audio stream and the hope of improving anything in it can be tempting. and I'm sure it is actually really useful to some people with some specific equipment who were having a hard time.
but I don't feel like I'm one of those, I don't believe jitter matters much in today's systems, and when it does, it's most likely to be below -80db in the audible range and maybe start affecting some high trebles more(as obviously jitter will affect shorter waves more). but those are low level signals in my music, I never have any loud 18khz for example. it's always a good 25 to 50db lower than the mids, then you count my equal loudness contour making me a lot less sensitive to trebles than I am to mids, and my headphones finish the job of putting them down with another roll off. so we're most likely back to something well below -80db(and I really don't pretend that I can hear that low when music is playing between 0 and -10db).

about noise coming from the usb power or the power itself not being 5V, well I guess there is some luck involved here sadly, as it's hard to guess if a computer will be fine just by looking at the specs. but if I was concerned about that, I wouldn't have bought a usb powered DAC. it's as simple as that.
just like people who are paranoid about jitter should get a real asynchronous DAC, or simply a good soundcard with a nice optical out. those are real concrete solutions to real concrete "possible" problems. I would think that people concerned by those stuff would have already done all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back