Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Oct 1, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #166 of 578
Search for "Sound" in the control panel. It'll bring up a bunch of tabs, the first one being "Playback." Try the different devices until you get the best results.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #167 of 578
Wyred is a USB hub running off a linear regulated PSU, a complete different story from a SMPS powered cheapo hub. It "isolates" the +5V pin of the USB cable but it doesn't provide galvanic isolation.

Um are you saying that a cheapo hub does not "isolate" the +5V pin? How exactly is hub vs hub a "complete different story" given what I wrote earlier?

To clarify, I'm pretty much talking about compatibility (let's leave the hifi stuff out of this). There should be no difference with some device working hub vs hub (assuming both are high-speed etc). If the other hub doesn't work, then it's implemented (very) poorly andor out of USB spec. Or the device just doesn't like hubs generally.

Obviously the "real isolators" are a different thing, and limited to full-speed. I don't know if they generate any incompatibilities on their own, shouldn't they be pretty "pass-through"?

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:52 AM Post #168 of 578
It was in the Windows App, I had two "devices" from which to make the default. When the incorrect one was selected, I think it's a safe guess because of the noise, also played through the computer speakers occurred. Once I switched to the other Schiit USB Device, all began working beautifully.

My apologies for the extremely low-tech explanation.

Ok I know what you mean. In my case I do not have multiple devices, just the Geek Out. So not much chance of selecting the incorrect device.

Besides, I did another test whereby I disconnected the Wyrd from my PC. I also plugged the Geek Out directly to the Wyrd (w/o any USB cable). So there is no possibility of cable problem or interference from the PC. I get the same noise when powering up the Wyrd. Video below:

/img/vimeo_logo.png

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #169 of 578
James,

That's the sound it makes when it's not "locking in", for want of a better term. The Atom Bomb would be erasing the Schiit Drivers, downloading them again, repeating the installation process.

I can guarantee it sounds wonderful, once set-up. Have you contacted Nick yet at tech@schiit.com?

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #171 of 578
So, finally got my Wyrd installed on my 2-channel system.  My 2009 Mac Mini was having USB issues and they seem to be gone now (no more pops or screeches during playback).  I'm impressed, I wasn't really expecting the Wyrd to actually do anything, but there you go.

One comment though: wow, those LEDs are insanely bright - like flashlights in my living room.  The Wyrd is sitting next to the '09 Mac Mini and it's interesting to see the difference in the LEDs (they are so bright, they wash out on the camera):

Oct 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #172 of 578
Just updating that Schiit is replacing my Wyrd. Kudos to their great customer service.

Great, the Guys at Schiit are awesome! I look forward to you getting a working unit, and your report on how it sounds (or doesn't sound :wink:).

Oct 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #173 of 578
  I wonder what difference it might make...

Well I am hearing a marked difference in staging, clean and crisp highs, more timbre and tonality, and cleaner bass. I think the Wyrd has made more difference than did the Silver Widow cable personally. Not to say the cable has not been an improvement, but rather the Wyrd has had more effect on the overall SQ than has the cable. Needless to say, very happy with the addition of the Wyrd in the chain. When I get my Ragnarok should be some very enjoyable listening indeed... Using the Wyrd with my laptop has definitely helped with the occasional dropouts which really did not seem to happen with my desktop system at all. Consider this: if the Wyrd does nothing more than clean up the USB transmission to the dac, helping eliminate dropouts, then it is money well spent IMHO. Fortunately I feel there are tangible benefits heard in my system. Plus it can help make recordings that may be less than perfect quality a bit more listenable. YMMV of course...

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #174 of 578
Two days in and I am very pleased with my Wyrd + Modi stack. It is tighter, cleaner, more resolving than the UD120 (which is a nice little DAC). It is difficult to say though how much of the improvement is attributable to the Wyrd and how much to the Modi. Eventually I will do some comparisons to isolate the influences.

Meanwhile the stack looks great, it is inexpensive  outright cheap, and it sounds very good.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #175 of 578
I received my replacement Wyrd and got it working with my Geek Out (had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to get it to work).

My main purpose in getting the Wyrd is to try to eliminate (a) some hi frequency noise coming from the usb when my PC has lot of hard disk activity and (b) some occasional pop or glitch when playing music. Good news is (a) is gone, but (b) does still happen.

As for sonic improvements, I didn't expect any but hoped for some. I do feel that the SQ has improved - blacker background so the music seems to float out more; smoother and richer mids/highs. So this is welcomed.

On the usability side, my only gripe is that the Geek Out doesn't automatically initialize every time I turn on the Wyrd. To get my Geek Out working I have to unplug/replug it from the Wyrd and then it will initialize and work properly with my PC. Another user of the Geek Out has also experienced the same issue.

I wonder if other DACs face this issue? Or is it just the way the Wyrd works with all DACs?

Anyway, I'm glad I spent $99 for it.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #176 of 578
First time trying to hook up thru the Wyrd my wireless mouse quit working after the initialization but a puter reboot later all was well. No problems with the dac functioning as before so seems to have been a useful addition to the chain. The M/G stack with the USB Gen II/Wyrd and laptop as source is sounding really good.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #177 of 578
  First time trying to hook up thru the Wyrd my wireless mouse quit working after the initialization but a puter reboot later all was well. No problems with the dac functioning as before so seems to have been a useful addition to the chain. The M/G stack with the USB Gen II/Wyrd and laptop as source is sounding really good.

You didn't connect mouse and DAC to Wyrd with another hub did you?  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of filtering noise potentially generated by mouse???

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #178 of 578
   some occasional pop or glitch when playing music. 

I had the same problem, but it turned out to be my hard drive. When I put my music on my SSD, it doesn't do it, ever. With the old hard drive, it pops every hour or so. I'm going to replace it soon and pull my stuff off the SSD. It makes me wonder if an old 5400 RPM hard drive just can't keep up with caching a lot of hi-res music. I have no idea, though.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #179 of 578

My main purpose in getting the Wyrd is to try to eliminate (a) some hi frequency noise coming from the usb when my PC has lot of hard disk activity and (b) some occasional pop or glitch when playing music. Good news is (a) is gone, but (b) does still happen.

Could be deferred procedure calls (poorly behaving software) on the PC, Wyrd wont fix that, try this tool to find out.

Quote:
On the usability side, my only gripe is that the Geek Out doesn't automatically initialize every time I turn on the Wyrd. To get my Geek Out working I have to unplug/replug it from the Wyrd and then it will initialize and work properly with my PC. Another user of the Geek Out has also experienced the same issue.

I wonder if other DACs face this issue? Or is it just the way the Wyrd works with all DACs?

The Wyrd usually needs to be on before you plug in the DAC, to allow the handshake with the PC.

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #180 of 578

The Wyrd usually needs to be on before you plug in the DAC, to allow the handshake with the PC.

I leave my Surface Pro 2, Wyrd and Modi connected. Turning Wyrd on and off also turns Modi on and off as it relies on Wyrd for power. So far Modi handshaking with my SP2 has been immediate whenever I turn Wyrd back on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back