Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Sep 10, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #136 of 578

Another top tip - thanks!

smily_headphones1.gif

I had this issue where quite often I could not send signal out through to my DAC. My iMac knew the DAC was there, but it just would not work. For the longest I thought it was Audirvana crapping out - but I read this post someplace that recommended trying the Wyrd.......  It fixed it!!!!  Sounds great and now it all works every time. Completely solid now.

In hindsight, a powered USB hub might work too, but hey, they Wyrd works great for me now, so I'm sold.

iMac w/Audirvana 1.5.12 >Wyrd>Bifrost>Lyr>Hifiman HE-500's

For me, I believe I hear a sonic improvement, but I also changed out USB cables too at the same time, so I can't say exactly how much the Wyrd has to do with it. Quieter/darker backgrounds and a better sense of space, clarity and air between voices and instruments. Tighter bass. Perhaps a wider, or at least different soundstage from before. Perhaps a slightly more creamy top end? - Nothing life changing, just a bit here and a bit there.......Then again it could just be this porter I'm drinking tonight. 
beerchug.gif

Similar findings first with this setup, Wyrd>Modi>Lyr 2>HE560/Alpha Dogs, similar results changing out the Modi with a Bifrost, quieter, which contributed to improved tonality, imaging,soundstage, a bit deeper bass, and smoother top end. More pronounced with the Modi, but clearly there with the Bifrost in the chain.

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #137 of 578
Hey guys so I have a quick question about wyrd. I see that it has a power switch, which is nice, but I'm curious if you guys leave it on all the time, or turn it off when you turn off your other components (dac, amp)? And if turning it off disconnects the dac from the computer? Like as is, with the bifrost it doesnt matter if it is on or off, the computer still sees it attached, which is really nice so that it isn't just connecting and disconnecting from the computer every time. So I wanted to know if wyrd works the same way, or changes that. Thanks!

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #138 of 578
I leave all my gear on all the time unless a heavy storm with lightning (live in Florida) is moving in the area. I'm pretty sure that unplugging the Wyrd disconnects the computer from the DAC but honestly I've never tried it. Shoot an email to Schiit Audio and they'll let you know ASAP. They have outstanding customer service. 

In my office, I use two Furman PST-8D's, one for my audio gear and the other for computer, cable modem and printer with both Furman's plugged into the same wall outlet top and bottom. I don't want to take any chances with the amount of lightning we get here so when the storms get near I turn off everything and unplug both Furman's from the wall. 

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #139 of 578
  Hey guys so I have a quick question about wyrd. I see that it has a power switch, which is nice, but I'm curious if you guys leave it on all the time, or turn it off when you turn off your other components (dac, amp)? And if turning it off disconnects the dac from the computer? Like as is, with the bifrost it doesnt matter if it is on or off, the computer still sees it attached, which is really nice so that it isn't just connecting and disconnecting from the computer every time. So I wanted to know if wyrd works the same way, or changes that. Thanks!

Just got my Wyrd today, but I asked Nick at Schiit Audio if I should turn it off when not in use and he said yes.

Also, when you turn off Wyrd, the DAC is disconnected from the computer (at least on my system).

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #140 of 578
  I leave all my gear on all the time unless a heavy storm with lightning (live in Florida) is moving in the area. I'm pretty sure that unplugging the Wyrd disconnects the computer from the DAC but honestly I've never tried it. Shoot an email to Schiit Audio and they'll let you know ASAP. They have outstanding customer service. 

In my office, I use two Furman PST-8D's, one for my audio gear and the other for computer, cable modem and printer with both Furman's plugged into the same wall outlet top and bottom. I don't want to take any chances with the amount of lightning we get here so when the storms get near I turn off everything and unplug both Furman's from the wall. 

Good luck!

Yea the Florida storms can get real crazy, I live in Palm Beach Gardens so I'm about the same way up the state as you just on the other side. I have all my stuff plugged into an APC surge protector that is rated at like 3400 joules. And if a surge exceeds that it basically self destructs the internal wiring (its only a 30 dollar device from like 6 years ago, but its super heavy duty). So I dont turn off stuff during storms, just at night/when I wont be using it.

Just got my Wyrd today, but I asked Nick at Schiit Audio if I should turn it off when not in use and he said yes.

Also, when you turn off Wyrd, the DAC is disconnected from the computer (at least on my system).

Good to know, thank you! I usually turn off all my gear when I got to bed or am not using it for a while, but leave my laptop on all the time.

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #141 of 578
Definitely not "snake oil"  IF you have USB noise issues.  I've been using an isolator meant for sensitive scientific equipment for years which helped greatly with several DACs I've owned that had bad USB implementation and the isloator worked wonders.  I did purchase the Wyrd and a little disappointed. Eliminated an odd "burp" I would occasionally get  on my Maverick D2 but still getting a bit of noise when moving mouse around screen which my other isolator removed completely.  Only an issue when nothing is playing but still for $100 I had hoped for complete silence. Schitt is "Swiss" on whether Wyrd has any impact on SQ and after a highly non-rigorous A/B I can't detect any difference (aside from noise elimination).

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #144 of 578

Lab Brick?

Had to search my email.  Was originally intended to isolate PC from devices with high voltage.  I was close :)

Butt ugly but cheap and it works well.  Still using on secondary setup just put the Wyrd on my primary. 

https://www.olimex.com/Products/USB-Modules/USB-ISO/

From there site:

1. Can I use USB-ISO for removing the ground loops between my computer and my Audio HIFI equipment?
  2. Yes, USB-ISO isolates the grounds and according to some Audiophile customers of ours there is a significant improvement in their USB DAC sound after using the USB-ISO as an isolation for the ground loops between their computers and audio equipment. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496735

Sep 21, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #145 of 578
For those who waited, WYRD is finally available in 230v Version.

Yeah great, they sent me a 16V wallwart duh, it was meant for Magni I guess:

And it measures 19.75V with no load, hopefully they'll soon have the right wallwart headed my way :xf_eek:

Also, are the USB connectors supposed to wiggle so much? I briefly owned a MODI and the enclosure was keeping the plugs in place but they wiggle quite a bit on my decrapifier, I could see it going bananas after extensive plugging.

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #146 of 578
Also, are the USB connectors supposed to wiggle so much? I briefly owned a MODI and the enclosure was keeping the plugs in place but they wiggle quite a bit on my decrapifier, I could see it going bananas after extensive plugging.

My output is a little loose, I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it.  I don't see anything to worry about on my unit & I have done a lot of cable changes already.

Sep 25, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #148 of 578
:D get own wyrd on monday,but also with other AC adapter.Today get normal 6 vac.Thanks for fast reply Schiit and FedEx delivery :D
IMHO with wyrd my sound system sounds better :)

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #150 of 578
Same here, I received (in France) my Wyrd with bad Wallwart (16 VAC). (Fortunately it does not fit in the Wyrd...)
Yep like heyeli said it looks like they have a general problem here.

And I received... a 2m long USB Pyst cable !! Apparently all their new stock was like that and I was the first to inform them.
Schiit responded quickly. Sad they have not agreed to give me a bonus cable for my double misfortune. (They told me that I have already the chance to have a very good 2m cable for my printer, I suppose it's a joke).

Regarding the Wyrd, it seems nice but I still hear an interference when my computer screen goes to sleep, which was my main problem. Hmm ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back