Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
May 8, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #571 of 578
What is a $30 audiophile power cable and where can I find one?

May 9, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #572 of 578
Not sure to understand what the Wyrd does, but I have a question: Is it possible that a USB port create problem with the sound, like a small subtil change in rythm that leave the impression the music is slightly offbeat? And if that can be the case, will the Wyrd fix that? I use bimby as my DAC.

That can be due to a software issue or the USB power is affecting how well the DAC - particularly the analogue output stage - performs. The Wyrd might fix the latter, but not the former.

May 9, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #573 of 578
Could be the computer being too loaded and slow, therefor affecting foobar2000. I have tried a second computer and I am even less satisfied with the sound. I am starting to hate PC.

May 10, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #574 of 578
I opened Device Manager and I disabled all USB ports I don't use. It's free. Among other things I am trying, this seems to improve clarity.

EDIT: I went further and I disabled everything I don't use from top to botton. Now it's clear the signal is better. 100% audible. Great improvement.

Also using Foobar2000 I have set the buffer lenght in output to 500ms and the same in WASAPI event hardware mode: 500. Much clearer sound.

:)

I have tried an optical cable and although it did almost completely fix the noises I hear when I turn the volume all the way up, the music was quite lifeless and boring compared to USB.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #575 of 578
Anyone who has a Wyrd, can you try the following and post the results? Connect the Wyrd to a computer and your DAC to the Wyrd as you would normally do to listen to music. I presume the Wyrd shows up in the system (Device Manager in Windows) as a Generic Hub and the DAC as whatever DAC you have. Now turn off the Wyrd but not your DAC. Can you post here if they are both still visible in the system, only one of them or none? Try unplugging the power cord from the Wyrd and see if it changes anything (unlikely).

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #576 of 578
Hello, how did you manage to register Oppo HA-1? I am having the issue that my Oppo HA-1 cannot be seen by the Mac when plugged through the USB isolator. What procedure should I follow to register it?

I am doing some testing on the Wyrd today for a review, wanted to post some initial findings here as the thread might be interested. Please let me know if my findings are wrong somewhere.

I am fully aware that I haven't talked about sound quality or jitter here, I am just starting that testing now.

Why not just prevent all USB power from going into the DAC?

Obviously USB powered DACs require power over the USB cable, but not so obvious is why AC powered DACS wouldn’t work with the +-5V USB lines cut. The DAC doesn’t need the power, and wouldn’t that be the “cleanest” signal? Just two wires, data only? Since we are worried about ‘crapified’ power let’s remove it from the USB line entirely and save ourselves the cost of the Wyrd ! Right?

To test whether this could be done I used the following USB cable configurations with various DACs I have available right now:

1. Standard USB cable – control to make sure the DAC works
  2. USB cable with +5V USB line cut – removes the power from the line
  3. USB cable with both + & -5V USB lines cut and a phantom load to PC – removes power & presents a load to the PC. I built this cable as a few commenters indicated that this ‘tricks’ the PC into seeing a device & thus sending\accepting data from the USB port. As it turns out, results were the same for both ‘powerline cut’ cables, regardless of the phantom load.

I tried the cables both with and without an external power source feeding USB power to the DACs. And I also tried cables with the Wyrd, since this is a Wyrd review after all.
bigsmile_face.gif

Device works with...

+5V USB line cut​

+-5V USB lines cut Phantom Load to PC​

+5V USB line cut
External USB power to Device​

+-5V USB lines
Phantom Load to PC
External USB power to device​

Findings​
Schiit Wyrd (USB Repeater)

No​

No​

Yes​

Yes​
Wyrd requires power input from the USB line at all times, you can’t cut the power lines leading into it.
Schiit Modi

No
(USB Powered DAC)​

No
(USB Powered DAC)​

Yes​

Yes​
Modi should work with any third-party power source via USB (not just Wyrd)
Schiit Gungnir

No​

No​

Yes​

Yes​
Gungnir should work with any third-party power source via USB (not just Wyrd), but it does need power via USB at all times
Schiit Loki

No
(USB Powered DAC)​

No
(USB Powered DAC)​

Yes​

Yes​
Loki should work with any third-party power source via USB (not just Wyrd)
Questyle DSD

Yes​

Yes​

Yes​

Yes​
Questyle DAC needs only the two data lines functional to work – technically the “cleanest” USB input tested. No power handshake needed.
Mytek

Yes*​

Yes*​

Yes​

Yes​
Mytek functions with both +-5V USB lines cut & no external power, but it did require USB power for the PC to initially register the DAC. “Phantom Load” on the USB cable did not correct that.
OPPO HA1

Yes*​

Yes*​

Yes​

Yes​
OPPO HA1 functions with both +-5V USB lines cut & no external power, but it did require USB power for the PC to initially register the DAC. “Phantom Load” on the USB cable did not correct that.

Summarizing my findings, the three non-Schiit brand DACs worked with data only being fed via USB, although Questyle was the only DAC to allow you to do this without the initial power-handshake to the PC. Therefore you could spend $6.99 on a Y split USB cable and 15 mins with an exacto knife to get a data-only connection for all these DACs. No ‘dirty’ power transmission, no power conditioner needed.

All the Schiit products require constant power. Two are USB powered, yes, but the Gungnir and the externally powered USB repeater Wyrd also need a constant +5V on USB to function. Maybe we need to get another clean third party power source to feed the Wyrd?
wink.gif
In any case, any third party power USB power source would work for all the Schiit DACs.

What don’t all vendors just make their AC powered DACs work with no power over the USB line?

No idea. I presume because 1) the USB spec indicates the power will be there and it is useful for making the initial USB handshake, and 2) no one has been crazy enough to care about it. A DAC obviously can be designed to reject and isolate the USB power and for all I know some already do, but since there has been no specific demand vendors don’t see a need to do so.

What are my conclusions for people who want a resolution to ‘dirty’ USB power issues?

1. The “cleanest” USB power is no power at all. For non-Schiit DACs you could easily make a cable with data-lines only & an external power feed and test that before trying the Wyrd or another third party power supply.

1. For Schiit DACs or others that require constant power you could try a less expensive third party power source to power your DAC, or you could get the Wyrd. For its price, availability and simplicity it’s a very sensible option.

1. Some company will soon be offering audiophile “Clean Power” USB cables that remove the power lines. If theyr'e not already. I didn’t bother to look.

Sep 10, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #577 of 578
Hello, how did you manage to register Oppo HA-1? I am having the issue that my Oppo HA-1 cannot be seen by the Mac when plugged through the USB isolator. What procedure should I follow to register it?

Wow... Long time since I've been in this thread :)

To recap: The HA-1 requires a power 'handshake' with the computer to be recognized but does not require power to be present on the USB line to work after that.

I customized this cable by cutting the power lead to the main (black) connector. This means 5v power flows only through the auxillary (red) connector. To connect the HA-1: Plug in both connectors to the Mac; turn on the HA-1; unplug the auxillary connector. The HA-1 is now working with no power flowing over the USB.

I haven't tried this with the MAC so YMMV. There is no longer a need for the USB isolator when you use this cable (no power to isolate) unless you are trying to reclock the signal.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #578 of 578
Thank you ogodei, my issue was with the Ciunas ISO-Hub and John, who designed it, recommended me to put the voltage into any of its USB port through a USB male/male cable, to kickstart the HA-1, and then unplug it. It worked. As you say the HA-1 handshakes with the Mac, and once registered it remains visible. The only problem is that the power handshake must be done each time any equipment in the chain is powered-off. Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back