Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Oct 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #181 of 578

Could be deferred procedure calls (poorly behaving software) on the PC, Wyrd wont fix that, try this tool to find out.

I've found that turning off Wyrd at all when my computer is on causes problems (all the way to complete hangs for the computer, forcing a hard reboot).  So I just leave it on.

Oct 10, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #183 of 578
  Might be worth having this thing just for the on/off switch.  I can't find a USB port that isn't always powered on my PC when it's sleeping.

Several solutions to that but the Wyrd may indeed be the best choice, looks good, works well.

This is an interesting beast, you can turn power on and off to the individual ports.   Works but kind of cheap quality.  There are also those "green" power bars that turn on extra outlets when the main device is turned on.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #184 of 578
  I had the same problem, but it turned out to be my hard drive. When I put my music on my SSD, it doesn't do it, ever. With the old hard drive, it pops every hour or so. I'm going to replace it soon and pull my stuff off the SSD. It makes me wonder if an old 5400 RPM hard drive just can't keep up with caching a lot of hi-res music. I have no idea, though.

I also have my music on a SSD.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #186 of 578

Could be deferred procedure calls (poorly behaving software) on the PC, Wyrd wont fix that, try this tool to find out.

The Wyrd usually needs to be on before you plug in the DAC, to allow the handshake with the PC.

Thanks. Nifty tool.

There's no issue with having the Wyrd on before plugging in the DAC. The issue is that I can't keep the DAC permanently connected to the Wyrd and have it auto handshake with the PC when I turn on the Wyrd. What I have to do each time is turn on the Wyrd first, then unplug and replug the DAC then only will the DAC handshake with the PC; wish I could skip this step of having to unplug/replug the DAC.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #187 of 578
 any USB tool from windows takes a lot more time than unplugging replugging and most of the times don't even "wake up/make the computer recognize" the external gear. I'm talking in general here, I wish there was a simple and fast software action to simulate a unplug/replug physical action real fast. I sure would have a use for that and not only for audio.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #188 of 578

First time trying to hook up thru the Wyrd my wireless mouse quit working after the initialization but a puter reboot later all was well. No problems with the dac functioning as before so seems to have been a useful addition to the chain. The M/G stack with the USB Gen II/Wyrd and laptop as source is sounding really good.

You didn't connect mouse and DAC to Wyrd with another hub did you?  Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of filtering noise potentially generated by mouse???

No the mouse is a wireless Logitech with a little deal that sticks into a USB port. I also have an external HD attached via USB since I installed a SSD in the laptop plus the outgoing USB connection to the Wyrd. Everything works just fine after the initial setup issue.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #189 of 578
So I take it that if you don't plug anything to Wyred apart from its PSU, neither of the front LED's should be on, right?

Because the right one remains on as soon as I plug its wallwart and when I plug my W7SP1/H87 box onto it, Wyred is recognized as an "unknown USB device" and that's all folks, plugging any USB device or restarting the PC don't change anything. Will whine to Schiit for support :evil:

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #190 of 578
The right LED turns on when you power on the Wyrd, whether it is connected via USB to anything or not.  The left LED turns on when the Wyrd is successfully connected to devices on BOTH the incoming and outgoing USB ports.

With no DAC attached & the Wyrd powered on, the Wyrd should show up in Win7 computer management as a 'generic USB hub' and 'USB Composite device'.  When a DAC is attached & the Wyrd powered on the DAC should show up as an audio device (provided you previously loaded the drivers).

Test the DAC without the Wyrd in the chain. Make sure you are using quality USB 2.0 cables to do the testing,  I have seen the Wyrd get finicky with some short no-name cables I have tried to use.  And if your DAC has separate ports for USB1 and USB2, use the USB 2.0 port.

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #191 of 578
OK, thanks a lot for the infos! That doesn't match what the user manual says:

anyway, it's recognized as an unknown USB device, its ID in the device manager is "USB\VID_0424&PID_2412&REV_0BB2" and W7SP1 has no idea what driver to use. I'm overseas so I'd rather avoid RMA =i

so the Wyred needs a Windows driver after all, I thought it'd be just as transparent as ADuM4160 bleh...wth can't Windows find this driver is beyond me: http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/usb-20-hub/driver-detail/6ACF24468081400A8CA0EBE15A6F2386/1986732/dab06b9b67891d9b29d66bb4e88c0845/1465300327/IUSB3%5CCLASS_09%26SUBCLASS_00%26PROT_01

" Device Name
USB 2.0 Hub
Hardware ID
USB\VID_0424&PID_2412&REV_0BB2"

I only tried the USB3 ports of the H87 chipset, I tried several USB3 and Monster USB2 cables to no available....unknown device either way.

Murphy's law yada yada :evil:

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #192 of 578
OK, thanks a lot for the infos! That doesn't match what the user manual says:

anyway, it's recognized as an unknown USB device, its ID in the device manager is "USB\VID_0424&PID_2412&REV_0BB2" and W7SP1 has no idea what driver to use. I'm overseas so I'd rather avoid RMA =i

so the Wyred needs a Windows driver after all, I thought it'd be just as transparent as ADuM4160 bleh...wth can't Windows find this driver is beyond me: http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/usb-20-hub/driver-detail/6ACF24468081400A8CA0EBE15A6F2386/1986732/dab06b9b67891d9b29d66bb4e88c0845/1465300327/IUSB3%5CCLASS_09%26SUBCLASS_00%26PROT_01

" Device Name
USB 2.0 Hub
Hardware ID
USB\VID_0424&PID_2412&REV_0BB2"

I only tried the USB3 ports of the H87 chipset, I tried several USB3 and Monster USB2 cables to no available....unknown device either way.

Murphy's law yada yada
evil_smiley.gif

If you go to Driver>update driver>Browse My Computer>Let Me Pick -   can you then select "USB Root Hub (xHCI)?  That's the driver I have on Win 8 - Dated 7/23/2014 Ver 6.3.9600.17238

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #193 of 578
Fix your windows, install chipset drivers etc. USB3 ports almost always require some special drivers but it has nothing to do with Wyrd. It's a generic hub which windows will support just fine if everything else is in order. (Maybe your Windows has disable online driver search, wrong drivers are forcefully installed etc, there's so many ways one can crapify windows that it's not funny..)

Oct 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #194 of 578
OMG, it's alive :)

I upgraded the W7SP1 Intel H87 USB3 drivers from 2.5.3.34 to 3.0.1.41 and bam, one reboot later the Wyred drivers installed instantly! I believe I read that USB3 was a giant kludge on W7 which was fixed with W8 considering that it supports USB3 OOTB.

6 months in the computer world is a lifetime as it would appear :xf_eek:

Either way, the PDF user manual on their website has the LEDs inverted, the power led is the right one and not the left one.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #195 of 578
OMG, it's alive
smily_headphones1.gif

I upgraded the W7SP1 Intel H87 USB3 drivers from 2.5.3.34 to 3.0.1.41 and bam, one reboot later the Wyred drivers installed instantly! I believe I read that USB3 was a giant kludge on W7 which was fixed with W8 considering that it supports USB3 OOTB.

6 months in the computer world is a lifetime as it would appear
redface.gif

Either way, the PDF user manual on their website has the LEDs inverted, the power led is the right one and not the left one.

Glad you got the Wyrd working. What sort of USB issues were you hoping to cure with the Wyrd and did it cure them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back