Schiit Decrapifier released - USB power isolator
Oct 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #212 of 578

BTW, I haven't run extensive testing yet but when turning Wyred on I have to unplug and replug the D3 otherwise its internal relay keeps ticking and it doesn't mount. Is this a known issue? Not sure how it behaves after a reboot, will have to try that as I don't plan on ever turning Wyred off anyway.

It might have to do with the Wyrd's design. With my Geek Out, whenever I turn on the Wyrd I too have to unplug and replug the GO in order to get it to initialize.

I think this has to do with the DACs design, not the Wyrd.  I've used it with 6 different DACs at this point.  A couple require the Wyrd to be already on and connected to the PC when the DAC boots up to register (show up in the PC sound options). One requires only the Wyrd be on and will register when you plug it into the PC afterward.  One doesn't care and will register itself once everything is connected.

Pretty sure this is to do with power and data requirements in the DACSs.  The engineers never planned for people to place additional powered devices in the chain.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #213 of 578
  Hmmm... my brief love affair with Modi is ending. Not that I am complaining; it is good value for $100. Tonally it sounds good, a tad mushy, a bit light on detail, but solid for its price.

But... and the reason I am posting in this thread... my love affair with Wyrd burns strong. I am now using it with my old 2006 MicroDAC and it has made a material difference. I am firmly in the camp now that Wyrd does improve DAC sound quality by reducing jitter.

Interestingly, I tried it with the Calyx M and it did reduce the substantial gap between the M's performance as a DAP and its poorer performance as a USB DAC/amp - reduced a fair bit actually but not completely eliminated, I am afraid. That is still impressive though. Kudos to the Wyrd.

(And again... zero connectivity problems with any of the above. So I think that connectivity is not an issue with the Wyrd and a fully current PC.)

I have actually been grooving on the Modi \ Wyrd stack for a week or so.  Bought it mainly to play with, not seriously listen to but its a lot of fun with the right tracks.  Your description above is right on target for my experience.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #214 of 578
^ I agree that it is a fun DAC. My goal was to get Wyrd in house. Once I was spending all that money on shipping to China, I had to give Modi a spin. (I also got a couple of the PYST USB cables which I like.)

No regrets at all.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #215 of 578
Got the Wyrd in today and set it up to try it with my Matrix x-sabre. And it won't connect with the x-sabre while I use a usb cable without ground/power lines. The X-sabre works directly in the PC with only signal USB cable, any idea why it won't work with the wyrd?
Just tested it with my 5m printer cable, now it works. Still no idea why it won't work with the 5V cut. Others have been using the 5V cut usb cable from Wyrd to DAC. And the X-sabre clearly works with signal only. I am very confused right now

PC -> Normal USB cable -> Wyrd -> Normal USB cable -> X-Sabre. Working as intented.
PC -> Normal USB cable -> Wyrd -> 5V cut USB cable -> X-Sabre. Not working.
PC -> 5V cut USB cable -> X-Sabre. Working.

Any ideas?

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #216 of 578
No idea particularly why, guess is the extra device ID in the chain prevents the PC from immediately recognizing what the DAC is?

I got two DACs work in your second scenario by providing USB power to the DAC during the "handshake" then removing it immediately afterwards. The DACs could not be recognized with if the +5v line was cut but continued to work if I disconnected the line afterwards.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #217 of 578
I got two DACs work in your second scenario by providing USB power to the DAC during the "handshake" then removing it immediately afterwards. The DACs could not be recognized with if the +5v line was cut but continued to work if I disconnected the line afterwards.

I see, any ideas how I can easy accomplish this? A friend made the cable for me and I don't have any particular skills in electronics
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #218 of 578
It may be the case the Wyrd isn't detecting a device being connected, you could try a resistor/LED across the +/- to see if that load will coax it into life.

Or try connecting the - side only as it may need a ground reference.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #219 of 578
I used this cable and cut the +5v pin on the black PC lead.  You can simply pull out the +5v  lead with a pair of needle nose pliers (the cable costs $7 so who cares?). Other people have suggested placing tape over the pin but I could not get that to work & I would not trust the outcome much.  Plug in both cable ends, then once the handshake is done pull out the red one.

Again just guessing this will work but its a cheap experiment.

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #221 of 578
  It may be the case the Wyrd isn't detecting a device being connected, you could try a resistor/LED across the +/- to see if that load will coax it into life.

Or try connecting the - side only as it may need a ground reference.

Yes to this.  I was presuming BleaK was referring to cutting the +5v line only and leaving the - line in tact but I see he does not specify.  To try that, pull the +5v volt connector ONLY on an extra USB cable you have lying around and see if it works.

The phantom load idea is valid but will require acquiring a transistor somewhere.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #222 of 578
You need to keep the ground intact in all cases IMHO, this is how a USB controller detects hotplug AFAIK. Otherwise yeah, you might need to put a dummy load on the schiit end: http://2channelaudio.blogspot.com/2013/01/audiophile-usb-yes-your-cable-makes.html

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #223 of 578
I wrote some impressions over at the x-sabre thread, cross posting it here.

Hehe I know that feeling! It might be the new toy effect or some sorts of bias (or my USB ports being horrible bad), but after some hours on this thing these is the small changes I hear:

Bass: I always felt that the x-sabre had great impact and good timbre, but a sort of "blurpy" bass. Wyrd fixes some of that, leaving the good impact, but now with a bit more tone (e.x. you can hear better what a bass player plays).

Treble: I can understand why someone said that the x-sabre has a "sabre" treble. I think the Wyrd fixes that. Cymbals now sounds "fuller" and "darker" instead of "spitty" and "thin". YMMV.

Black background: This was already a very strong point for the x-sabre, but it got somewhat better (blacker?). Sounds just seems to pop better out of nothing, which leads me to the biggest change-

Imaging/focus: I love the soundstage with the x-sabre, it's honestly one of the best thing with this dac besides being a wellrounded and "relaxed". However I sometimes felt that the imaging took a small hit for the big soundstage, like some notes are blurry and not easily picked out. The biggest change I have with the Wyrd now some hours in, is that the focus is better. If I close my eyes I feel I can point exactly where the sound is coming from. At the same time the wyrd made it easier the pick apart instruments and voices. Like when a chorus sings I can now hear the individual voices.

Remember that this is small changes which I put a microscope on. However this little box is going nowhere.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #224 of 578
Dear Head-Fi Gurus,
       I have Schitt Gungnir with USB input that works well with the Windows XP PC and foobar2000 software that I have. I have recently bought a Lenovo 64 bit I3 Flex 15.2 laptop.  This laptop does not recognize the Schitt Gungnir from the foobar after I install the Schitt USB drivers.  Schitt Technical support recommended getting external powered USB Hub. Will the Wyrd device help in this case?  Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #225 of 578
^+1, had a Modi/Wyrd combo, it was fantastic, the Wyrd lowered the noise floor, opened up the soundstage, improved imaging and tonality. Now use the Wyrd with an Üner Bifrost, the improvements are not as dramatic but stil easily discernible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back