Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jul 11, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #2,776 of 3,339
Thanks! It's a long thread and I didn't have a chance to read it all. I saw where someone posted they would be receiving their Gungnir soon. I didn't realise it was a proto. My bad.

Do you know when it will be officially released by chance?

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,778 of 3,339
I just received my BiFrost and am getting the dreaded "Please plug in your USB 2.0 Audio Device" (something like that) when trying to install the drivers. Can't use the DAC until I figure out how to get the drivers installed. There's a few other people having issues but I don't see them reaching any resolutions so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Jul 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #2,779 of 3,339
Did some digging into it off a hunch from a zip file I had downloaded a long time ago and wanted to put it here so some people could find resolution. The ZIP package that you download from the Schiit website is for some reason encrypted. Which is silly because its not actually encrypted with a key. Its probably just a mis-done setting in the package zipping. Anyways, the key is to right click on the folders you extract, deselect "Read Only", then go to Advanced and deselect "Encrypt". Hit ok, make sure the changes are applied to all sub folders, and wait for the changes to be made. You'll likely have to do it one more time to the folder inside the main USB2.0 folder. After removing the encryption, driver installation was simple as Schiit.

Jul 12, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #2,780 of 3,339
Quote:
No, Gungnir isn't out yet and any pre-production units shouldn't be compared. The final product will or does usually sound much different.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Jason told me the unit I heard at THE Show in Newport was the final version...

Jul 14, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,781 of 3,339
I know Gungnir hasn't even shipped yet, but looking out to the Statement gear I was wondering if there is any chance of getting two optical inputs.  For better or worse, optical seems to be the default on a lot of consumer gear, some of which only support audio over hdmi or optical.

Jul 14, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #2,782 of 3,339
Quote:

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Jason told me the unit I heard at THE Show in Newport was the final version...

Mostly....

They are making one or two slight refinement tweaks.

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #2,783 of 3,339
Why doesn't Schiit release jitter numbers for any of their DACs?

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #2,784 of 3,339
Quote:

Because nobody asked?  Why single out Schiit when this is not uncommon?  Are you trying to imply something or just asking?

I could snag some of the Gungnir later down the road if Jason doesn't feel like bothering and/or doesn't mind.  After hearing it I can safely say it has nothing to hide in that respect.  It's one of the cleanest, most transparent sounding DAC's I've heard.  

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #2,785 of 3,339
Quote:

Because it's a huge conspiracy! Because it's 120,000 ps! Because we're incompetent engineers! Because we're under contract from the US government to maximize the amount of jitter in our systems to mask the subliminal messages broadcast by Cthulu and the Elder Gods thanks to their awakening in 1945 by the first atomic tests!

Or, er, well, none of the above. The reality is a lot more complex. Three reasons, really:

1. If you're familiar with the CS8416 datasheet, you won't be too surprised by Bifrost's jitter numbers.

2. Jitter isn't necessarily the be-all end-all one true measurement for digital audio. And it's easy to misinterpret. For example, the RMS jitter number for our USB input is lower than SPDIF (as you'd expect), but the spectrum is entirely different. What's most important?

3. Jitter is hard to measure accurately at low levels. Most people would have you think it's as simple as hooking it up to the AP or DScope and getting a chart out. But hey, let's look at the AP and Dscope's residual jitter numbers: 600ps for the AP 27XX and 1000ps for the AP 525x and Dscope. Not exactly 1ps territory, hmm? That's why we have not one, but two Stanford Research SR1 audio analyzers, one kitted out with Option 3 and 4 (1ppm internal reference and ultra-low jitter analyzer with 8ps residual jitter.) The only better option for measuring jitter than the full-kit Stanford is a $30,000 piece of gear that only measures jitter, which will get you down to 2ps or so.

Bottom line, yeah, we'll eventually have some properly-caveated numbers for Gungnir, but we don't think people should be buying gear based on one single measurement. And Anaxilus, if you'd like to do some measurements after release, feel free! It'll be interesting to see how they correlate with our own, and it'll give me more confidence if they're in concurrence.

PS: And, no discussion of jitter would be complete without noting that Mike Moffat was one of the first people to theorize jitter was a cause of digital audio degradation, was one of the first to measure it back in the 1980s, and was the first to use VCO PLLs to regenerate clocks and reduce jitter. It's not like we just fell off of the turnip truck here. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #2,786 of 3,339
Jul 16, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #2,789 of 3,339

Users who are viewing this thread

Back