Schiit DACs (Bifrost and Gungnir down, one to go)? The information and anticipation thread.
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #2,761 of 3,339
Thats how I have it as well,

I have two soundcards, a Juli@ and Auzentech Prelude.

Juli@ is only linked with J River Media center which outputs to my music/non 5.1 media.

Auzentech prelude outputs system sounds and handles other direct sound(or w/e they call it now in Win7) duties.  to a secondary dac that can process 5.1 and spit it into headphones.  This unit has no click~ it only supports really 16/48khz.

Bifrost clicking will definitely not go away, and tbh if its a serious nuisance you are probably not doing something right like enabling system sounds.Most music librarys are either 24/96 or 16/44.  If every song is a mix well then you are not the norm.

Speaking of which I am a terrible person and still owe someone from christmas, I HAVENT FORGOTTEN YOU I PROMISE. I have at least one hand picked CD you will love x3.  Totally suits your style I think. But I am trying to fill it in with more!

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,762 of 3,339
Thanks for the replies. It would be nice if Jason could weigh in on whether or not the Bifrost clicking issue has been resolved with the Gungnir.

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,763 of 3,339
It's not an issue, it's a feature. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

For best audio quality, we don't use a soft mute or a FET short hung off the output--we use relays to mute the output in case the input data stream changes/unlocks. If you simply can't abide some clicking, best to steer clear of our DACs. 

Some computers/players/OS combinations/etc. don't give you a continuous input stream. Macs are fine, except for sample rate changes. PCs seem to vary quite a bit.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2,764 of 3,339
Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

So it seems that if I'm running a Mac, have no sample rate changes, and keep system sounds out of the picture I will not experience any clicking. Does that sound about right?

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #2,765 of 3,339
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

So it seems that if I'm running a Mac, have no sample rate changes, and keep system sounds out of the picture I will not experience any clicking. Does that sound about right?

That is our experience, using iTunes naked, iTunes/Bitperfect, iTunes/Amarra, and Audirvana.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #2,766 of 3,339
I personally run a MacBook pro and have never had any issues at all with the clicking issues, (feature). I normally use optical out but sometimes use USB if I am playing with PureMusic upSampling. I may have muted the system sounds though when I first got the Bifrost. Can't really remember.

Just to stir the pot some..... Looks like the Windows users have another Windows Feature! :wink:

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #2,767 of 3,339
Quote:

That is our experience, using iTunes naked, iTunes/Bitperfect, iTunes/Amarra, and Audirvana.

Thanks again. I use Pure Music (upsampling 16/44 to 24/96 with DSP disabled), but I would think the results would be quite similar.

Jun 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #2,768 of 3,339
Quote:
I personally run a MacBook pro and have never had any issues at all with the clicking issues, (feature). I normally use optical out but sometimes use USB if I am playing with PureMusic upSampling. I may have muted the system sounds though when I first got the Bifrost. Can't really remember.

Thanks for chiming in, as I said above I am also upsampling with Pure Music.

Now I am wondering why you switch to USB when you upsample, is this because the optical out is limited to 96 kHz and you are upsampling to 192 kHz?

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #2,769 of 3,339
Yes. The USB is only to overcome the Optical Feature of being limited to 96.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,770 of 3,339
I get the clicking not while I'm continuously listening to music (which I don't think I'll be able to hear anyway) but in between songs and it also happens when I listen to a Youtube video and then stop for a while. To me it's not an issue at all. As a matter of fact, I kind of like it :) I use it with my Macbook Pro via optical and I just wanted to say this because I don't think it has anything to do with the sound coming from the computer or something like that. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #2,771 of 3,339
Quote:
I get the clicking not while I'm continuously listening to music (which I don't think I'll be able to hear anyway) but in between songs and it also happens when I listen to a Youtube video and then stop for a while. To me it's not an issue at all. As a matter of fact, I kind of like it :) I use it with my Macbook Pro via optical and I just wanted to say this because I don't think it has anything to do with the sound coming from the computer or something like that. 

x2 same thing here. But when changing songs that's most likely just sample rates changing. I actually find it funny, is it just telling me
to get back to the tunes? haha

Jun 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,772 of 3,339
Quote:

With that said, I don't believe Jason has said whether Gungnir does the same thing. It would also probably be very dependent on what your system does when nothing is playing. In Windows 7 with a Creative sound card through optical it clicks all the time. I believe it also clicked when dailydoseofdaly tried it on his Mac, but I wasn't paying enough attention to say for sure.

Bifrost out optical>Macbook Pro>Amarra

i dont remember it clicking for any reason other than changing sample rates between tracks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,775 of 3,339
Quote:
Can anyone who has had the chance to hear both comment on the comparative sound of the Bifrost and Gungnir.

No, Gungnir isn't out yet and any pre-production units shouldn't be compared. The final product will or does usually sound much different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back